English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 February 2021, 15:12   #41
Gryfon

Amazing work, finally Metal Gear available on the Amiga.
I noticed a couple of spelling mistakes, during Big Boss / Snake chat in the video, are you going to keep these (because that's 100% authentic?). If not I'd happily review all the text for free.
Old 03 February 2021, 18:00   #42
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfon View Post
Amazing work, finally Metal Gear available on the Amiga.
I noticed a couple of spelling mistakes, during Big Boss / Snake chat in the video, are you going to keep these (because that's 100% authentic?). If not I'd happily review all the text for free.
playing the original European version will be an option but I'm going to implement the most recent re-translation as the default.
Old 04 February 2021, 00:19   #43
honx

will your port also include german language?
Old 04 February 2021, 00:37   #44
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
will your port also include german language?
Hadn't considered further localisation past what the original game offers to be honest so its unlikely, especially as I can't speak German.
Old 04 February 2021, 09:55   #45
honx

can't you just take the german localization from german msx release which is available?
then you don't need to speak german. just copy.
Old 04 February 2021, 10:20   #46
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
can't you just take the german localization from german msx release which is available?
then you don't need to speak german. just copy.
Didn't realise there was one... OK, there is a chance then but its pretty low on the list at the moment.
Old 05 February 2021, 13:06   #47
Silverstreak

.. !
Old 06 February 2021, 14:54   #48
AmigaHope

Amazing! That would've blown peoples minds back in the day considering how bad all the other ports of Metal Gear were.

Will it be NTSC optimized since it's an NTSC game originally? If you don't do any aspect correction on the graphics I guess the 256x212 display would look better in Amiga PAL aspect ratio (though still squished) but otherwise the game was meant for NTSC...
Old 06 February 2021, 16:51   #49
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
Amazing! That would've blown peoples minds back in the day considering how bad all the other ports of Metal Gear were.

Will it be NTSC optimized since it's an NTSC game originally? If you don't do any aspect correction on the graphics I guess the 256x212 display would look better in Amiga PAL aspect ratio (though still squished) but otherwise the game was meant for NTSC...
The original is far from NTSC optimised. Most of the time it runs at 30 fps with it dropping even further when things get busy. Run it on a faster MSX and it's an absolute mess which needs patching.

That said, my aim is to get it running at full frame rate on either 50hz or 60hz. This has meant re-calculating all the movement and timing values within the game by a factor of 2. Thankfully so far it looks like I'm hitting that fairly comfortably.
Old 07 February 2021, 06:22   #50
obitus1990

Pretty awesome.... this was one of my favorite NES games back in the day.
Old 23 March 2021, 11:17   #51
h0ffman

Game got a preview on Amiga Bill's stream last Sunday. You can see how things are progressing in this twitch video.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/958386885

todo list..

* couple bugs in gameplay code, nothing game breaking just a few tweaks
* two more music pieces to create
* "potentially" a little more graphical content
* better ending / credits
* CD32 pad support (awaiting my KTRL CD32+ pad)
* disk loading
* WHDLoad slave

2-3 months and I think it should be released.

if you've offered to help out with bug testing, I may be in touch in the coming weeks.
Old 23 March 2021, 12:06   #52
acidbottle

Hi h0ffman

Was gutted to have missed that Amiga Bill stream live, the segment goes really in depth and is incredible how much work that goes into these software releases, this one in particular!

Anyway, as this was orginally a commercial title, is this release able to be sold commercially (with box etc) or is this someting you cannot or will not entertain?

Also, after a hard earned rest, do you have any other projects under consideration. Think Galahad mentioned Parodius, I definately second this!!

Looking forward to this and a few others that are nearing completion, 2021 is shaping up to be a great year for Amigans!
Old 23 March 2021, 12:33   #53
h0ffman

selling it is out of the question. there is legal ambiguity just making it as it is and adding some financial aspect onto makes that worse. I would be interested in the cost of making some boxed copies, shortest run possible. Might raffle them away for charity or something?!?

As for next projects, it's a tough one. As mentioned previously, this was only really possible thanks to Manuel Pazos disassembly. I'd love to port more but there isn't the source to work from. I'm looking into how the disassembly process works but it looks even more involved than the porting part. Been playing Metal Gear 2 on my MSX recently and it looks like it would really benefit from an Amiga boost. My code base as it standards could easily handle the graphical work. But who knows... I think there is something else that's needed for the Amiga first
Old 23 March 2021, 13:53   #54
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
selling it is out of the question. there is legal ambiguity just making it as it is and adding some financial aspect onto makes that worse. I would be interested in the cost of making some boxed copies, shortest run possible. Might raffle them away for charity or something?!?

As for next projects, it's a tough one. As mentioned previously, this was only really possible thanks to Manuel Pazos disassembly. I'd love to port more but there isn't the source to work from. I'm looking into how the disassembly process works but it looks even more involved than the porting part. Been playing Metal Gear 2 on my MSX recently and it looks like it would really benefit from an Amiga boost. My code base as it standards could easily handle the graphical work. But who knows... I think there is something else that's needed for the Amiga first
What do you mean about port "Sword of Ianna" game from MSX2? Source code are available:

http://theswordofianna.retroworks.es/en/download-2/
Old 23 March 2021, 14:51   #55
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
What do you mean about port "Sword of Ianna" game from MSX2? Source code are available:

http://theswordofianna.retroworks.es/en/download-2/
HAHAHA!!!...

( saves bookmark )
Old 25 March 2021, 12:56   #56
jdb78

This is so awesome! Incredible what people can do. Thank you for this!
Old 11 April 2021, 15:23   #57
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Good job guys !
What do you think about penguin adventure next ???
Old 04 May 2021, 08:09   #58
h0ffman

Hey guys. So the game is nearly finished now but I need a whdload slave for it. Is there anyone up for the task?

Games use 512k chip and 512k of any other ram. Also has a game save function. I'd be quite happy adding some pointers etc to patch points in the main source so that should there be some last minute changes the slave still works.
Old 04 May 2021, 09:58   #59
AmyMor

Great!
I can't wait for this game to arrive and I'm glad you included the option to save location ...
Old 04 May 2021, 10:56   #60
rabidgerry

Amazing work @h0ffman I can't wait to play this game! It looks very similar to the NES version I played all those years ago in my mates house and because I never had a NES to practice on I was rubbish at it. I thought MSX games were generally more simple and less in-depth both looks and gameplay but this game looks fantastic and I know has a great deal of depth to the gameplay so I'm really surprised. Really excellent work, dying to play it! Only for A500?