English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 24 December 2021, 02:43   #1
Ijon_Tichy

UniTHOR - a new joystick is coming up

Hi folks,

We've developed a new joystick for retro computers - with a solidly performing and tested prototype, we're ready to present it to the world.

In a nutshell:
1. It's not available for sale yet - we have 20+ 3D-printed prototypes.
2. It will come in two versions - with DB9 and USB connector.
3. Nicely clicking, durable microswitches.
4. There will be two variants - Basic (coming first) and Assembler (custom model).
5. We'll be launching a Kickstarter campaign - aiming late February 2022.
6. Price hasn't been set yet. If we were to sell today, it would prolly be 60 EUR per piece, but you know how things are these days (inflation, supply chain bottlenecks...)

More info can be found on our website (it may still have a few navigation glitches that we'll iron out asap - we're more into joysticks than websites ;-).

Meanwhile, you're welcome to have a look at the first promo vid, freshly posted on YT.
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Ijon_Tichy; 24 December 2021 at 17:42. Reason: Syntax error :)
Old 04 January 2022, 12:29   #2
Solo Kazuki

Just mentioning that more details about special version of UniThor with three independent buttons, which was mentioned in this poll should appear here.
Old 05 January 2022, 16:04   #3
PixelsAtDawn
Amiga Addict

Nice to see some joystick variety since pretty much everything other than the Competition Pro remake are arcade-style sticks, which isn't what I used back in the day. There's some real quality stuff out there these days, exciting!
Old 05 January 2022, 17:45   #4
DisasterIncarna

looking good.
Old 05 January 2022, 18:51   #5
mr_magnell

The base button should be in the front of the joystick!

Then it would be a buy from me
Old 11 January 2022, 05:50   #6
AC/DC HACKER!

A "Santa"..?? Yuletide with a perverted American Santa (from original German tradition)?? Hmm.. Anyway, I still adore the Atari 2600 Joystick, so I was excited to see it - maybe a Cool Atari update of sorts? Sorry, but I don't use "hand grasping the controller". I find those to be very challenging to play with. I find it much easier to have my right thumb atop of the Atari stick, and fingers below meeting left hand, and left thumb on the fire button.

For those that dig this kind of design, I'm sure you'll really dig it. I'm glad people are still attempting great ideas.
Old 11 January 2022, 08:05   #7
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijon_Tichy View Post
Hi folks,

We've developed a new joystick for retro computers - with a solidly performing and tested prototype, we're ready to present it to the world
This looks amazing! The base.. Not sure i think that looks comfortable? But I'm sure you've tested so i guess it must be.
Really dig the colour choices.. This sort of design used to be my favourites a lot of the time in the past, I dunno if i'll get on with them now, all my old quickshots eventually broke, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
A "Santa"..?? Yuletide with a perverted American Santa (from original German tradition)?? Hmm..
Guy talking about the law of attraction and the Anunnaki in his bio has something to say about perverting tradition!
Old 15 January 2022, 17:30   #8
Ijon_Tichy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
This looks amazing! The base.. Not sure i think that looks comfortable? But I'm sure you've tested so i guess it must be.
Really dig the colour choices.. This sort of design used to be my favourites a lot of the time in the past, I dunno if i'll get on with them now, all my old quickshots eventually broke, I think.
We've already learned that people have so different gaming styles that they're all but mutually exclusive in terms of joystick design.

We're working on placing the third button in the base.

Meanwhile a follow-up to the original news - a YouTube video showcasing Assembler version of UNITHOR joystick in action:
[ Show youtube player ]

Hope you find it interesting.
Old 15 January 2022, 20:01   #9
Romanujan

The link is broken.
Old 15 January 2022, 20:39   #10
Ijon_Tichy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
The link is broken.
Hmm how come? I tried it before posting and it works for me now. Try copy-pasting this:

youtube.com/watch?v=tMi6I377e9E
Old 15 January 2022, 21:07   #11
kriz

Link works fine here.. Is a really cool feature, hope this will be some standard that several games will support !!
Old 16 January 2022, 10:44   #12
Kefir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijon_Tichy View Post
[ Show youtube player ]

The controll is very easy by setting the appropriate pins 5 or 9, using one MOVE instruction to write POTGO register ($dff034). When the high state of the pin 5 is present the leds are ON. However, it requires a customization of an game source code.
Old 04 March 2022, 20:03   #13
Ijon_Tichy

Hi folks, a small update on the development. While rubber pads actually do their job, in response to the feedback we've modified its base so that it's optionally possible to install classic suction cups. The cups will be available for the Assembler (customizable) version of the device (or a separate DIY kit for either version originally equipped with the pads).

And just like in the old days, window pane tests have been performed as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	przyssawki_unithor_red_rescaled.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	74966  

Last edited by Ijon_Tichy; 12 April 2022 at 20:10.
Old 12 April 2022, 20:36   #14
Ijon_Tichy

In line with the wider plans, we're also venturing into the realm of more contemporary gaming:

[ Show youtube player ]

By the way, I wish there was an Amiga port! After all, they did a C64 version.
Old 18 April 2022, 01:23   #15
BlaCkAdDa
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to BlaCkAdDa
looks sweet, has anyone done a tac-2 replica, that was my go to joystick on amiga. These pistol grip one's were ok for driving / space games but not for beat'em ups, platformers and speedball etc.
Old 15 June 2022, 09:37   #16
Ijon_Tichy

Hey people! UNITHOR has passed a major checkpoint - our Kickstarter prelaunch page is already in place. Actual campaign start date will be announced very soon - please help us make this project happen! If you're interested, sign up and follow the project - the launch date largely depends on that counter.

There's going to be a discount for first-day backers, so it may be a good idea to be well informed when the project kicks off.

And here's the [ Show youtube player ].
Old 24 June 2022, 16:09   #17
blade002
Zone Friend

I've backed it, I'm the guy who said I'll have some explaining to my wife to do your meat tenderiser Unithor video response was priceless
Old 25 June 2022, 10:11   #18
kriz

Wow looks like a lot is backing this !
Old 25 June 2022, 10:52   #19
Ijon_Tichy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
I've backed it, I'm the guy who said I'll have some explaining to my wife to do your meat tenderiser Unithor video response was priceless
Haha, hope you can find an excuse - if not, you can put the blame on us. But more seriously, I'd like to thank you for your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz
Wow looks like a lot is backing this !
True, but still the progress bar has quite a lot of blank space to conquer. Also, let's not forget certain add-ons will get activated beyond the default funding goal.
Old 11 July 2022, 11:12   #20
lyzanxia

Looks great, having a look to back it too..