English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 18 March 2021, 12:40   #1
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Was Tube Warriors really released as a complete game?

I was searching for a fate of this game: https://hol.abime.net/1522

Tube Warriors from Dynabyte. The game seems to be complete, except there are no credits, I have no clue who the authors are.

Today (thanks to dlfrsilver) I came across this article: https://genesistemple.com/the-big-it...abyte-software

And there is written:

Quote:
After Nippon Safes Inc. and the changes in organisation, Dynabyte tried to further enlarge its portfolio by working on two drastically different experiences. The first was a one-on-one fighting title, Tube Warriors, exclusively developed for AGA Amigas.

It was, again, based in Japan, with all fights taking place in the underground (as the title might suggest), where the player must defeat all the leaders of the other rival gangs so as to take over their territory. Similarly to Fatal Fury, the characters can alternate between fighting in foreground and background. Costabel tells me it wasn’t a great idea, since the fighting genre wasn’t something they had experience with and, graphically, it didn’t really make full use of the power of AGAs. Bruno Boz told me it never seemed to work and was never published, with only a few test copies produced.
So shall the HOL status be "unreleased"?
Old 18 March 2021, 16:55   #2
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
exactly.
Old 18 March 2021, 19:03   #3
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

No scans, only 1 cracked copy exists, no ipfs, so nothing to contradict the article. I've marked it accordingly. Thanks for the info.
Old 18 March 2021, 20:58   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
No scans, only 1 cracked copy exists, no ipfs, so nothing to contradict the article. I've marked it accordingly. Thanks for the info.
Belga, just my 2 cents : I saw The game boxed sold on ebay italia, quite a few years ago, and the price was like 350 euros or more.
Old 18 March 2021, 21:09   #5
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Meh, and if I'd looked a bit more carefully I would have seen the scans on mobygames... So, question remains, was it released or not? According to that article the CEO himself says it wasn't, and a boxed copy doesn't mean it was actually published.

Thoughts please?
Old 18 March 2021, 21:24   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Belga, just my 2 cents : I saw The game boxed sold on ebay italia, quite a few years ago, and the price was like 350 euros or more.
Could that be one of those few test copies mentioned in the article?
Old 19 March 2021, 00:26   #7
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
Meh, and if I'd looked a bit more carefully I would have seen the scans on mobygames... So, question remains, was it released or not? According to that article the CEO himself says it wasn't, and a boxed copy doesn't mean it was actually published.

Thoughts please?
Very honestly, they said that Nippon Safes was not officially sold out of Italy.
In reality, it was not true. Because Ubisoft was the distributor for the game.
Nippon Safes is a game easy to find, so there's no way only 1.000s of copies were sold. Much more were.

Very bizarre, it looks like the same case as turrican. you listen to the devs, they tell you it sold badly with 20.000 copies, and when you look on ebay or elsewhere, the game is common like mud ! Games that sold only 20.000 copies are not this easy to find. nevermind games sold 5.000 copies.

My guess very honestly ? The publisher and the distributor got their shit together at the expense of the developers. Like they sold 30-40.000 copies, and they come to the devs with : "look only 1.000 copies sold!, take your royalties!".
Old 19 March 2021, 07:11   #8
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Disgusting, but not uncommon approach. But in case of Tube Warriors there is really lack of any information and I have never seen the game boxed on sale.
Old 05 August 2022, 11:20   #9
passioneamiga
Passione Amiga

Tube Warriors was released in Italy. I bought an original copy, boxed ofcourse, from a store in Milan, in 1995.
Old 05 August 2022, 11:35   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by passioneamiga View Post
Tube Warriors was released in Italy. I bought an original copy, boxed ofcourse, from a store in Milan, in 1995.
I assume it looked like this: https://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga...iors/cover-art ?
Old 05 August 2022, 13:51   #11
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by passioneamiga View Post
Can you please dump your disks, and send me the flux dump via wetransfer please ?

If it's all good, i will make a set of IPF.

Scans of your box and possibly manual are welcome too (i can put them on HOL Abime).

Thanks !
Old 25 February 2023, 22:49   #12
passioneamiga
Passione Amiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Can you please dump your disks, and send me the flux dump via wetransfer please ?

If it's all good, i will make a set of IPF.

Scans of your box and possibly manual are welcome too (i can put them on HOL Abime).

Thanks !

Sadly I sold my copy on eBay many years ago. (not for 350 euro! I think I sold it for 10.000 italian lire, something like 5 euro, in 1996 or 1997...) Ah, if I knew that now those games would be super rare!