English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 February 2018, 20:28   #1
-Acid-

Weird A1200 keyboard problems please read and help!

I have an A1200 which TheCorfiot recapped for me last year and when he sent it back I noticed some keys weren't working when I plugged the kb back in. The keypad seems to be the only affected area, only the ( ) and / keys will work over there none of the numbers or return key etc.

Today I finally decided to try the kb from my other A1200 (TC recapped this one too) to see if that was the problem. I connected it up and to my surprise the exact same thing happened using that kb as well. Now I know this kb is good because it was fully working on my main A1200. So I thought this must be a motherboard problem, I put the good kb back into my main machine and turned it on.... now the same keys that will not work on the other kb have stopped working on this one too!

I put the other kb in to test that one there as well and now i have two kb's with most of the keypad not working on either machine.

At this point i thought let's check if it's the boards somehow... and got the kb adapter out of my A1200 tower. Plugged that in and connected up an A2000 kb.... works perfectly on both main boards.

Any ideas what has happened to the A1200 kb's and how they can be fixed?
Old 14 February 2018, 20:43   #2
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

What a strange problem! It is highly unlikely that both machines and or keyboards can develop the same fault. So that stated, could it be something you are doing?

What is the condition of the tracks on the end of the ribbon connectors and does your plastic clamp hold it in place correctly?
Old 15 February 2018, 00:50   #3
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
What is the condition of the tracks on the end of the ribbon connectors and does your plastic clamp hold it in place correctly?
See attached pic.... the other one the clip comes off completely but holds it snugly when it's all pushed down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kb.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	56804  
Old 15 February 2018, 11:28   #4
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

They don't look that bad at all. What about the connectors remove the plastic clamps carefully and check them, see if there is any damage or dirt there.

Make sure that when you reconnect the ribbon connector it is completely straight and not at an angle. It must also be pushed all the way down and held firmly.

Do you have a wireless keyboard adapter or external keyboard adapter to test U7?