English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 June 2001, 22:33   #1
Amiga1992

Poll: Fave Joystick?

Yes, trick poll here, since there are no options to vote, but I think since there are so many choices, I rather let everybody pick their own replying to this message

I have a few faves.

- Competition Pro Star Extra / Any Competition Pro is like, THE classic Amiga joystick. This Star Extra is the one which was clear blue with shiny buttons/stick, and had added autofire and slowmotion controls. The little triangular base buttons were an excellent extra, adding autofire and slowmotion on-demand, instead of having them on all the time by using the switch. Brill.

- Suncom TAC-2 / From the C64 days, I acquired one of these a few months ago and I got to use it two days ago. EXCELLENT joystick, one of the best I ever used. It just controls like a dream. One great buy.

- Quickjoy Megastar / Though a bit of a disappointment at first, is the best arcadestick I could get for my Amiga. Wanted it for 9 years, and only recently I found one and got it. Cannot regret the move. While new they are a bit TOO tight, but with use they get more comfy.

- Sega Megadrive/Genesis 6 button joypad / Sega, IMO, made the BEST joypads out there. The 6-button model feels just great, and the C button works a treat with some Amiga games. As far as pads goe, this one is only rivalled by its 3 button counterpart, and the Sega Saturn joypads.

- Atari 7800 joystick - One of the best Atari made. Good grip and the stick feels just right (and it even has a ball-feel to it. I love sticks with ball-sticks . One great purchase.

I think having a good joystick is crucial. I have noticed that now, with my TAC-2, my Hyperdrive skills have improved

So, which are your fave joysticks?
Old 22 June 2001, 22:39   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

Wink

Amiga Joystick ...... Competion Pro as it's the only Amiga joystick I never managed to break.

PC joystick ...... Gravis Xterminator for my obsession with N64 Emu's

Atari 2600 ...... Them really cool Commodore Paddles for playing Pong/Tanks with [Side Note]I still have these .... Sad I know[/Side Note]

Last edited by Ian; 26 June 2001 at 03:51.
Old 23 June 2001, 00:00   #3
Malc
Zone Friend

Amiga = Zip Stick.
Old 23 June 2001, 00:16   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

Question Zip Stick?!?

I can't remember that one, unless it was black (similar to Competion Pro) with yellow buttons??

I not calling you a liar Malc, just had way to much Alc (hic) Alc (hic hic) Alco(slur)hol since then

Last edited by Ian; 23 June 2001 at 01:45.
Old 23 June 2001, 07:01   #5
Amiga1992

What's so sad about owning one of those, Ian? I'd be happy to become sad with one of those if you don't mind parting with them, in exchange for a decent ammount of your preferred currency

Those are the zipsticks, methinks. Lemme go grab a picture....

Okay, click here to see a few joysticks. Warning, the image weighs around 138K. Colors look like shite, but this was a quick scan/compression session, sorry The zipstick appears there.
Old 23 June 2001, 10:14   #6
Cam

Do you remember the odd joystick that you held like a gun? It was shaped roughly like a phaser from the original Star Trek series, and the controller was a little blue rod sticking out of the top. Bizarre joystick, but a great novelty.

My mate broke mine due to overly vicious waggling.

Old 23 June 2001, 10:14   #7
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I have to say my favourite jostick is one that I never knew the name neither who produced it...
My dad just brought my ney Miggy to my house, it was a saturday 23th Dec evening, and of course, got a few pirated games with it , and I was crazy to play it..but, I had NO joystick to play the games (My MSX joystick was with a friend of mine...who just went in a xmas vacation....and left MY JOYSTICK IN HIS HOUSE!), so I could only play mouse games. Here in Brazil, in saturday most stores close at 2 PM, and was exactly 2 PM..

I rushed like hell, and most stores close here were already closed... then I found an electronics store open, and just gave it a try, asked for an Atari 2600 joystick...
The nice old lady there showed me one of those crap Atari2600 joysticks clones.. it was tight, the quality was crap, and it just looked like it was going to break in 3 days... but you know, I was excited and all, and I was going to buy this one... even if I had to buy another joystick in monday..

but then, I just looked to my side, and in the shopwindow, behind a box of something, it was there....shining and just waiting to be picked up by me... black, with yellow buttons, a pleasure to play, and the usual auto-button. Then I asked the old lady "what about that one?" she said "Oh, that's a Master System Joystick, it's no use for you" (Poor lady, she obviously didn't know a lot about joysticks), and I said "no, it's fine for me, it's even better" (2-button joystick)... she insisted "No! That's a Master System joystick, you need an Atari one!"..... damn, just GIVE ME THE JOYSTICK! .. after some talking, she was convinced to sell me the joystick..it was the ONLY one, and with NO box.. she said "Well, as this has no box, and it will not work for you, I will give you a 50% off the price" ... poor old lady, I felt bad for her for about 0.2 seconds, then just rushed home to play R-Type 2

I like the Quickshot python too... I had this one for the MSX, below it had a small switch, to change between "MSX - Master System/Amiga mode)..it was the joystick that my friend just forgot to gave me back :-) Actually, after I got the other joystick, the Python was rarely used...

I never liked Joypads that much, the best for me is the Mega-drive 6 buttons joypad... and I agree with everything that Akira said about it

I also like the PS dual shock joystick, just because of those nice analog sticks. Some games REALLY need an alogic joystick to play, and sometimes even 2, and that's what the dual shock gives to you. And you still have 4 buttons to use, the ones in the top of the pad . Makers of PC analogic Joystick should learn that small sticks are much more acurate and better than those BIG pc sticks
Old 23 June 2001, 11:01   #8
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Cool Bug

The Bug was quite a popular joystick with a lot of people and was recommended for SWOS. I never really got used to it.
Old 23 June 2001, 19:48   #9
MethodGit

Weird joysticks

LOL Remember several years ago that there were really bizarre joysticks like a Bart Simpson one or an Alien one, or even a joystick shaped like the Terminator exoskeleton's head? Unfortunately I can't remember what make they were or which company (whether it was one company or several different companies that made them), I just remember seeing them in magazines and the like. Never used any of them myself.

I think I've lost my joystick skills and usage now because I got too used to joypads (I started using them sometime in early 90's, possibly 1993). I always used either my Sega Mega Drive joypad or one of my third-party joypads. I would probably have trouble playing games with a joystick today. Such a shame.....
Old 23 June 2001, 21:19   #10
Amiga1992

Cam, that could be the Quickshot Chimera, or the Powerplay joystick. The Chimera was really nice. dark grey color with red buttons.

Marz, those are the CharacteriSticks (duh! stupid name for the line , I forgot the brad, could be Zip but I doubt it. Really stupid ones. You had two Batman models, one Bart Simpson model, one Alien model and the head of the Terminator. Who could have thought about doing that garbage! Must be hell to play with those.
Old 25 June 2001, 14:38   #11
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Hooooo

Akira, why didn't you make a poll? Voting in polls is fun And I would probably say the Megadrive pad is one of the best I have held. But you can't go past the simple 2 button joysticks from the Amiga days.
Old 25 June 2001, 18:17   #12
Amiga1992

I didnt because there were too many options I rather had anyone pick their own.
Old 26 June 2001, 03:54   #13
Ian
Global Moderator

Cam I think the Joystick your one about is the Speedking (Or clone of), a picture of which can be found in Akira's attached pic.
Old 26 June 2001, 17:26   #14
Amiga1992

The Konix Speedking is not held like a gun That's why I think it's a Chimera or a Powerplay (not the Cruiser). I will have to post pics of those two.

I remembered who did the silly characteristicks :P Cheetah was (makers of the Bug... seems like they 'dig' strange joysticks)
Old 26 June 2001, 17:47   #15
Ian
Global Moderator

Sorry Akira I forgot you are never wrong

Joke

Last edited by Ian; 26 June 2001 at 20:22.
Old 26 June 2001, 18:53   #16
Cam

Aye, it was held like a funky sci-fi pistol, with a dark blue trigger acting as fire#1 and a small cylindrical controller. Easy to break, but fun to "shoot" your mates with (until you no longer have any mates, that is).

Akira, both of those names you mentioned sound familiar. If it wasn't for my time-addled brain...

Old 26 June 2001, 19:26   #17
Amiga1992

Hmm... could be a Logic3 one... they had funky joysticks, like the Gamma Ray...

I'll try to look for piccies when I get home.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 26 June 2001 at 19:55.
Old 27 June 2001, 08:25   #18
Walker

Well, I had the same Wico Bathandle from the day I bought my A500 to that miserable day 4 years later when I sold it *sob*.

God knows how they managed to create a joystick like that. It faced more violence than Jackie Chan will ever do, but it just kept going. Man, they could have built space shuttles with these things!!!
Old 03 July 2001, 00:16   #19
Zeewolf

Question Hi...

Quickshot Python was my favourite joystick. A great joystick, so easy to use.
The only problem was that it seemed to break too easily.

Does anyone every remember the navigator? God I used to get blisters with this joystick!! This was a favourite of my brothers.

Old 03 July 2001, 00:22   #20
Drake1009

Well I haven't used many different types of joysticks, but of those I've used I always liked the quickshot ones.

I can't seem to find the name of my favorite one. It was a joystick with 4 switch options which meant it could work as an Atari/commodore joysick as well as a MSX, Amstrad or Sega joystick. Unfortunately it seems there's something wrong with it now. It doens't plug properly into the amiga any more, like there's something stuck in one of the holes, this results that it loses connection of the left direction rather often. My only joystick which could be used as a 2 button joystick too