Old 07 April 2022, 01:01   #1
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Amiga Mini review

Presented by amateur productions Inc.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 April 2022, 02:55   #2
ransom1122

Nice review. You answered most questions I had in mind.. Thank you.. Other things is

1. Can you put each lha into alphabetical sub folders?

2. Does Jim Power work 100% ?

3. Can you somehow swap/inject/replace the proper Cadaver & PD on the system itself?

Last edited by ransom1122; 07 April 2022 at 06:22.
Old 07 April 2022, 03:38   #3
hiho

Very imformative.
Old 07 April 2022, 04:18   #4
-TCB!-

Maybe step aerobics wasn't so bad after all?
Old 07 April 2022, 06:02   #5
jono1975

nice review... to be honest if they do a maxi would be nicer if they used the A1200 form factor :-)
Old 07 April 2022, 09:55   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TCB!- View Post
Maybe step aerobics wasn't so bad after all?
It sounded awful!
Old 07 April 2022, 11:09   #7
kremiso

having a 2010 crap laptop here, and the original hw (500 and 1200) in another location
it could be a good purchase in my case, at least to turn on again the main lcd tv, taking dust
i'll wait a bit, curious about which road the updates will take

what about the gamesaves, they are 100% whdload style?
or more/less user friendly?
Old 07 April 2022, 11:36   #8
nivam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono1975 View Post
nice review... to be honest if they do a maxi would be nicer if they used the A1200 form factor :-)
Some of us will debate that! Amiga 500 design is "classier".
Old 07 April 2022, 11:41   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Does the smaller tank mouse feel significantly different to the original? Size? Weight? Would you choose to use a different USB mouse?
Old 07 April 2022, 14:35   #10
Arne
Hobby/Indie gamedev

Perhaps there were some legal issues with the intro logos. Or they felt that people might want to get straight into the games. Or it was a quick'n'dirty protection skip?

A Maxi would be super weird... so big, empty and light (unless they put silly weights into it I guess), and probably no functional floppy drive which makes it all kinda moot as floppies are half the experience.

Better then to make an A1000 keyboard (with twirly cord), but it's not as iconic to the random person. Maybe an A600 case could work too as it won't take up much space.
Old 07 April 2022, 14:44   #11
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
Perhaps there were some legal issues with the intro logos. Or they felt that people might want to get straight into the games. Or it was a quick'n'dirty protection skip?

A Maxi would be super weird... so big, empty and light (unless they put silly weights into it I guess), and probably no functional floppy drive which makes it all kinda moot as floppies are half the experience.

Better then to make an A1000 keyboard (with twirly cord), but it's not as iconic to the random person. Maybe an A600 case could work too as it won't take up much space.
All the pack in games are entirely based on WHDLoad versions, I guess they waited until intros finished and then snapshottted the emulation to restart at that point.

On Cadaver they also skipped the language select :/
Old 07 April 2022, 15:44   #12
Gordon
Settler

Or maybe just custom1=1'ed it?
Old 07 April 2022, 16:05   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Or maybe just custom1=1'ed it?
Currently there is no access to the built in games and no control over custom options.
Old 07 April 2022, 16:19   #14
JonSick

I'll just go for broke and admit it. I bought it because it is technically a new Amiga. OK, there are plenty ways you can attack that point and I would agree that a Pi400 with the appropriate firmware is just as legitimate a choice.

But to me, it is what it is. I missed out on getting a SNES Mini so figured I'd definitely hop on this.

So yep, I bought one because it is an Amiga. It may not have a hole to throw disks into, I doubt Individual is hard at work throwing an accelerator together for it, don't really care. It's a 2022 Miggy.

Come at me bro!
Old 07 April 2022, 18:34   #15
RuySan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSick View Post
I'll just go for broke and admit it. I bought it because it is technically a new Amiga. OK, there are plenty ways you can attack that point and I would agree that a Pi400 with the appropriate firmware is just as legitimate a choice.

But to me, it is what it is. I missed out on getting a SNES Mini so figured I'd definitely hop on this.

So yep, I bought one because it is an Amiga. It may not have a hole to throw disks into, I doubt Individual is hard at work throwing an accelerator together for it, don't really care. It's a 2022 Miggy.

Come at me bro!
For me it isn't even a new Amiga because it doesn't have the license, or the word written anywhere. Same for Commodore.

Branding is important for stuff like this. I can emulate these games just fine on my PC, so a nice box and nice "AMIGA" molded into the plastic would make a difference.
Old 07 April 2022, 19:44   #16
Adropac2
Zone Friend

decent fair review this. There's lots to be had from the machine even without adf. I do tend to only use whd games these days. I'm very happy with my Rasspberry pi but I wouldn't rule out getting one

It would be too hard to include so many more key games so the default list was always going to be hit and miss but whdgame makes up for that

I imagine there will be a few firmware updates as they listen to some of the quibbles
Old 08 April 2022, 09:14   #17
nivam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuySan View Post
For me it isn't even a new Amiga because it doesn't have the license, or the word written anywhere. Same for Commodore.

Branding is important for stuff like this. I can emulate these games just fine on my PC, so a nice box and nice "AMIGA" molded into the plastic would make a difference.
AMIGA on the case should have been great. But I think its shape and design does not need any markings. It shouts AMIGA. Thats why I like it as it is even without the word AMIGA on it.

I got mine yesterday and I was instantly fall in love! This little plastic its my first NEW Amiga after 30 years. Even though I own 2 A500s, 1 A1200 and a Raspi4 for emulation, I thinkh this little thing steals the show. The UI is great, the WHDload is nice, even though it does not play everything I have through in (maybe it needs some tinkering). The preconfigured games run great. The mouse is fantastic and the controller has a very nice feeling and response. I plugged them on Windows PC and they are great. The lack of power supply was not a big issue for me, as I managed to find an old cell phone one.
All in all is a little nice thing to play awaiting fo Amiga Maxi
Old 08 April 2022, 09:26   #18
manossg

This looks like a great new Amiga! Looks like the guys at retrogames did a great job again.
Old 08 April 2022, 11:13   #19
ransom1122

I got my mini today,

Some things I've noted

1. Jim Power Intro is Slow.. ingame slight sound stutter

2. Yes... You can have all your lha's in alphabetical sub folders

3. Sometimes the mouse wont work on some whdload game splash screens (No idea why not?) Batman the Movie does it with no mouse control on splash

4. Power (Red) & HDD (Green) LED's work and look great.

5. USB Keyboard works fine

6. Joypad and Tank Mouse are both good. Tank mouse is a good size and feel, just slightly smaller then the original tank mouse.

7. The First two scene demo's I tried RinkADink_v1.2_Lemon & BatmanVuelve_V1.0_BatmanGroup bot h work but have audio stutter. The next Scene demo Apocalypse_v1.0_Gods I tried works fine.

8. Beach Volley has minor weird music sound in intro (Like missing instruments) And Logo gfx are a little messed. Otherwise game plays fine.

9. Games that didnt work off USB.... (Someone else needs to verify this)

... Lionheart_v2.3_0845
... FullContact_v1.7_2246
... Barbarian_v1.1_Palace_1784

Many other games work, So I am happy with it.
Old 08 April 2022, 11:45   #20
nivam

For those that have the mini Amiga, did you manage to connect third party USB controller (i.e. Xbox controller)? I didnt have any luck with 3 different (xinput) joysticks.

Those games that didnt start include Monkey island 1 & 2.