English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 22 April 2013, 18:54   #1
CBrown

Help me with Amberstar

This game is driving me up the walls. For a couple of days I've been trying to get it to run in WinUAE with no luck and I really, really want to play this game. More so now that I can't make it work but mostly because I've heard fantastic things about it.

So here's what's going on:

I got the install disks, I've set up Workbench 1.3 on an A500 coupled with a hard disk file. Workbench 1.3 seems to be working just perfectly fine, it boots up with no trouble what so ever.

I boot Amberstar Installation Disk A and it works just fine, I specify which device to install on and it doesn't complain about there not being enough room, it seemingly installs fine and then exits out to workbench again. And then... nothing. Honestly, I have been up and down the Internet trying to figure out what to do. There doesn't appear to be any new folder on my device so... nothing to start and thus I can't play the game... I think.

I've checked the Amberstar manual and it says nothing more than "run the install, obey the on screen instructions, complete!" I've tried setting up a second HD and install to that with no luck, installs just fine but when I open it up there's still nothing there.

Now, I set up an A1200 as well which installs games just fine with WHDLoad. The instructions say that I should first install Amberstar normally then run the WHDLoad patch (if I understood it correctly) but when trying to install it on my A1200 it says that there's not enough room on my hard drive.

I grew up with an Amiga but I never had a harddrive so this is completely new grounds for me. I'd install it to floppies but if at all possible I'd just much rather play it from the HD.

So, what am I doing wrong? How do I actually play Amberstar? I want to play it from the HD because disk swapping is not my favorite aspect of the Amiga.

Old 22 April 2013, 19:12   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Honestly the best way (= least hassle) would be to get FS-UAE, an online database beta account and the preinstalled WHDLoad version. Then you just scan it once and you have a one click, HD ready setup
Old 22 April 2013, 20:12   #3
CBrown

Thank you. That seems to have fixed it or at the very least presented a workaround for playing Amberstar which is good. It does mean I don't get to roll my own character but... hey, what works works. I'm not gonna complain at this point.

Old 22 April 2013, 20:33   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Ah, true. The problem with the installer complaining on your A1200 setup is caused by a too big harddrive causing an overflow and thus showing that error. A possible workaround would be to install the game first to a small (20 MB) HDF and later copy it over to your normal harddrive.
Old 26 April 2013, 01:54   #5
CBrown

Yeah, I'll see what I can do about it. I just don't understand why it won't show up on my Amiga 500 setup since it installs correctly. It's driving me completely up the wall, haha. I love computers but not all the time, heh.