English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 28 September 2008, 19:30   #1
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Path command...

Man, I should know this but for the life of me I cannot get it working...

What I want to do is to make sure my SYS:Utilities/Genesis/bin directory is always searched from a command line.

I can get it to work with: PATH ADD >NIL: SYS:Utilities/Genesis/bin

but when I leave CLI and open a new one it will no longer be in the list you get when you just type PATH.

I have also tried tacking it on to the list of other paths in startup-sequence and it still doesn't add when I reboot.

What the heck am I missing?
Old 28 September 2008, 19:36   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The startup-sequence is the right place to add your path. Can you post the line with PATH and your added folder from your startup-sequence?
Old 28 September 2008, 19:56   #3
illy5603

Here ya go.

I am running "Classic WB" pretty much stock except for some assigns.

Quote:
Path >NIL: RAM: C: SYS:Utilities SYS:Rexxc SYS:System S: SYS:Prefs SYS:WBStartup SYS:Tools SYS:Tools/Commodities SYS:Utilities/genesis/bin
Is there a way to add more path entries like in user-startup or is this a one shot deal?
Old 28 September 2008, 20:08   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hmm, looks fine and it should work. You can add multiple PATH statements, so it might be an idea to put it in your user-startup.
Old 28 September 2008, 20:12   #5
illy5603

What is strange is that I can add paths in CLI but they won't show up in paths once I close the CLI and open a new one. It still doesn't seem to matter what paths I create in startup-sequence or user-startup, none of them show up when I enter the path command. I am stumped...
Old 28 September 2008, 20:26   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just checked it here with a quite basic Workbench 3.1 install and when I add a new line in startup-sequence with a PATH statement everything works fine (and shows up when I enter PATH). Also works if I add it to the existing line in startup-sequence. However it doesn't work if I add it to User-Startup
The paths entered in a CLI window are deleted when you close it. I would suggest you put a new line in your startup-sequence with
Code:
Path >NIL: SYS:Utilities/genesis/bin
Maybe that works.
Old 28 September 2008, 20:38   #7
illy5603

There must be something the classic-workbench default that us bypassing or replacing the startup-sequence because I removed the existing path line entirely and they are still showing up. I guess I have to read through the whole thing and figure out what is going on... I should probably go to his subforum and ask. Thanks for the assistance!
Old 28 September 2008, 20:42   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

No problem. So Bloodwych did some heavy tweaking as it seems
Old 28 September 2008, 20:54   #9
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
No problem. So Bloodwych did some heavy tweaking as it seems
Yeah it is pretty cool actually. A left and right mouse button detect for CLI only and minimal desktop modes. Still reading through it all. They all have different boot sequences with their own entries.
Old 28 September 2008, 21:04   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
Yeah it is pretty cool actually. A left and right mouse button detect for CLI only and minimal desktop modes. Still reading through it all. They all have different boot sequences with their own entries.
That explains why the standard one has no effect. I'm sure someone who uses it can help you. Good luck
Old 28 September 2008, 21:09   #11
illy5603

Well, I read through it and followed every trail and still nothing. Would SCALOS have a section to set paths? I know nothing about Scalos other than it is included in ClassicWB.
Old 28 September 2008, 21:14   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I never used SCALOS, but I think the path setting has to be in one of the custom startups. I will set up a ClassicWB install tomorrow (I always wanted to do that and now I have some free days to do it ). If you haven't found a solution until then I'll have a closer look.
Old 28 September 2008, 21:47   #13
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
dont for get the shell - start up script found in s:

and always use the add cmd
Old 28 September 2008, 22:34   #14
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
dont for get the shell - start up script found in s:

and always use the add cmd
There are no path commands in my sheel-startup script unfortunately. It still seems weird that I can comment out the only path statement in the startup-sequence or user-startup and still get paths listed. I just cannot find where they are being added. Putting a PATH ADD statement in user-startup doesn't take.
Old 28 September 2008, 23:42   #15
ppill
CON: artist

This is really weird. PATH settings should be global regardless of a script or shell the command's been issued in.

I just booted into a clean shell environment (no startup-sequence). Added RAM: to the two default paths (C:, Current directory), opened a new cli and the new path binding worked fine.

So it seems to be global.

EDIT:
OK scratch what's above. Shells inherit the PATH settings. Two Shells started seperatly don't share the same PATH unless started from Workbench (then they share its bindings).

Last edited by ppill; 29 September 2008 at 00:04.
Old 28 September 2008, 23:47   #16
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
This is really weird. PATH settings should be global regardless of a script or shell the command's been issued in.

I just booted into a clean shell environment (no startup-sequence). Added RAM: to the two default paths (C:, Current directory), opened a new cli and the new path binding worked fine.

So it seems to be global.
Turns out the path commands were working fine. It was the SHELL I was launching from a program called "Button Menu" that must use it's own path settings. When I checked the paths from the SYS:System/Shell command line session they are there.

I knew it had to be something stupid like this. Thanks for the assistance everyone.
Old 29 September 2008, 00:15   #17
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
Turns out the path commands were working fine. It was the SHELL I was launching from a program called "Button Menu" that must use it's own path settings. When I checked the paths from the SYS:System/Shell command line session they are there.

I knew it had to be something stupid like this. Thanks for the assistance everyone.
That's exactly what it is. ButtonMenu runs with its own paths for anything it executes; I had to fix it to get it to work normally.

Go into the "Programs/Buttonmenu/Scripts" folder and double click the Shell script. You can alter the path there.

Buttonmenu executes a separate Shell process without universal paths for some reason so added that temporary fix. Problem is, I never got around to going back and fixing it properly!