English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 22 December 2019, 03:25   #41
grelbfarlk

I tried one of these and it does work pretty well. Does what it says on the tin.
In my very quick test, on a 55" Samsung TV
NTSC 15khz modes 640x400, 640x200, 320x200 seem to work fine.
This was an NTSC A4000 so PAL modes were missing the top and bottom of the screen, maybe the TV can be adjusted to fix that.
SuperPlus 800x600 mode worked but was scaled past the edges of the screen, maybe this can be fixed by adjusting the TV scaling settings.

Noticed a little bit of lag, maybe a few frames worth but again this might be the TV at fault.
HighGFX mode 1024x768 did not work, couldn't sync.

Multscan and DoubleNTSC modes did not work, they had doubled images side by side. But there is no reason to use these modes since the 640x400 NTSC Interlaced modes were flicker free.
Nice find kjmann14 and thanks for your efforts!
Old 23 December 2019, 11:08   #42
Pyromania

These work great, my only suggestion is adding a power button if possible. It will still send a signal to the monitor if my CDTV is turned off. I just unplug the USB power cable for now. kjmann14 did a fantastic job modifying this adaptor.
Old 23 December 2019, 12:40   #43
str0m

grelbfarlk - Does your TV have a "Game mode", my Samsung 55" does, you have to turn it on for each input source if relevant. If it isn't on then the TV still does all it's fancy image processing which looks better but ends up with input lag. I wondered what on earth was happening when I first tried my Xbox One on the TV till I found it.
Old 23 December 2019, 12:44   #44
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
grelbfarlk - Does your TV have a "Game mode", my Samsung 55" does, you have to turn it on for each input source if relevant. If it isn't on then the TV still does all it's fancy image processing which looks better but ends up with input lag. I wondered what on earth was happening when I first tried my Xbox One on the TV till I found it.
Interesting I read about this and tried it on my Plasma... unfortunately it didn't help with that and just seemed like it was stuttering which probably explains the lag you mentioned. Is that over processing? Does it make difference if you select "i" rather than "p"?
Old 23 December 2019, 13:21   #45
str0m

Not tried one of these devices but with my hdmi connected consoles, Xbox One/PS3/360 it makes a big difference, can barely drive in something like Forza due to the lag! It looks a lot better with it off as the TV does all sorts of fancy colour processing etc but that adds the lag.

I know some of these cheap converter devices add their own, I have a composite to hdmi one which does but thought I would mention the game mode especially as he has a Samsung tv like I do
Old 23 December 2019, 13:24   #46
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Not tried one of these devices but with my hdmi connected consoles, Xbox One/PS3/360 it makes a big difference, can barely drive in something like Forza due to the lag! It looks a lot better with it off as the TV does all sorts of fancy colour processing etc but that adds the lag.

I know some of these cheap converter devices add their own, I have a composite to hdmi one which does but thought I would mention the game mode especially as he has a Samsung tv like I do
I have HDMI2AV mini adaptor. It's great for general dos but not games where you need precision timing as the slightest lag makes all the difference.
Old 24 December 2019, 00:24   #47
grelbfarlk

Quote:
I tested it a little more and turned on "Game Mode" and turned off all of the 120hz stuff. Lag now is reduced but there's still a little bit there. I tried it on a Dell 24" monitor with HDMI that supports 15khz over VGA, and there's a hint of lag there too. It's not much but it's noticeable.

What I am finding is a major downside to this adaptor is that I can't seem to get PAL screens to fit vertically, they expand past the edge of the screens on the top and bottom. It fits horizonally but doesn't seem to be stretched wide enough. Both the TV or the monitor don't allow a vertical stretch over HDMI. Unless there's something I'm missing here, I've tried booting in early startup as PAL and also tried Degrader.
Old 03 January 2020, 05:26   #48
sirnephilim

I tried one of the PoundLink cables on my PS1 and was very dissatisfied with the quality and the inability to enforce 4:3, despite my TV supporting 240p just fine. And literally any processing on the part of your TV beyond simple scaling is likely to produce lag. I use my OSSC for pretty much everything that doesn't natively support the signal I want and it works great unless the signal is interlaced.

For best results with pretty much any RGB source use an OSSC if you don't mind shelling out, though you might get acceptable results from one of the converters this is by far the better choice. It'll even take RGB over VGA with whatever timings and sync method like a champ.

Another alternative is to find a monitor (some old Dells support 1920x1200 and weird VGA frequencies, I have one that supports HDMI, Composite, Component and S-Video as well as RGBHV and RGBs at 15KHz over VGA) and make your own wire for that.
Old 29 January 2020, 10:18   #49
Flimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmann14 View Post
Here's the vimeo upload. It still looks like frames were dropped on the upload, so it looks better than this in person.

That looks incredible. 10/10 for the ingenuity. What spec Amiga are you running there?
Old 30 January 2020, 08:47   #50
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
I was under the impression that 50Hz is part of the HDMI spec.. :-D That's so weird that they would strip that feature out for North America.

https://hdmiforum.org/wp-content/upl...ntation-EN.pdf

Page 44 of the PDF
They aggressively strip out features on North American devices in general. e.g. many American TVs shipped with room for a SCART connector on the board but with the connector itself removed. You could then add the connector back in but the firmware itself refuses to accept the input unless you replace the roms in the device with a custom firmware.

The chipsets on many TVs now can handle composite color input with PAL modulation just fine because it's all done with a unified software-defined chip, but the feature is actively stripped out of North American firmware. If you feed it PAL-M (i.e. 60hz Brazil-style) it gives you an image but refuses to decode the color carrier properly because a bit isn't flipped by the firmware.

I'm not sure if it's done to avoid some sort of potential licensing issue or to avoid confusing U.S. consumers.
Old 30 January 2020, 10:00   #51
kjmann14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flimbo View Post
That looks incredible. 10/10 for the ingenuity. What spec Amiga are you running there?
That is my Amiga 500 plus (2 meg chip) with a classic 520 accelerator.
Old 08 February 2020, 22:17   #52
kinmami
Golden Boy

Send a message via ICQ to kinmami Send a message via AIM to kinmami Send a message via MSN to kinmami
I have run some tests on my A2000 and generally, it worked well.
In attachment, the connection scheme which may differ from the initial one.
Hope it helps.

I noticed that micro usb connector which supplies 5V to the circuit has no filter. I made an internal mod to ensure a clean supply voltage.

One remarkable thing is that the video converter is prone to be really hot, despite the heatsink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22527.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	66126   Click image for larger version

Name:	22526.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	66127   Click image for larger version

Name:	22524.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	66128   Click image for larger version

Name:	22506.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	66129   Click image for larger version

Name:	22505.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	66130  

Name:	22504.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	66131  
Old 28 February 2020, 17:35   #53
th4t1guy

I bought this adapter from the Amazon link here and while it looks like the one in the pictures, I'm seeing slightly different wiring for it. For one, there's no red, blue or green wires, and it seems the sync wire is instead going to s-video Y.

A quick continuity check shows wires going to pins 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, 11, 12 on the playstation video connector.

I haven't wired it up yet, but do you think could I wire pin 5 to sync?
Also, I don't have a db23 connector, so I was planning to hook it up to a VGA cable and use a Commodore db23 to vga adapter. Would there be any problems doing that? I think these adapters have a resistor and some logic chip in them.
Old 28 February 2020, 17:39   #54
kjmann14

It sounds like you may have been sent the wrong adapter. He has an S-Video adapter that looks very similar. I have used both but S-Video will not work for the Amiga. Is there R G & B spots on the board?
As for the 23 pin to DB connector, I'm not sure if it will work properly considering that the Commodore version had some sort of a buffer in it.
Old 28 February 2020, 17:50   #55
th4t1guy

I guess that's what's confusing me looking at the pinout.
Pins 9, 11, and 12 are RGB. If it was s-video board, I would think it should have pin 7 also hooked up (s-video chroma). But I checked it multiple times and the wire is definitely running to pin 5 (s-video luma) instead of pin 6 (sync).

When I get home I can post an image of the circuit board. Maybe its the same?
Old 29 February 2020, 01:08   #56
th4t1guy

Here's the circuit board for the device.
The instruction card that came with this does say to switch the ps2 to RGB mode (same as previously posted pic), so I will likely try wiring it up this weekend and see how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	66331   Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	66332  
Old 29 February 2020, 20:13   #57
th4t1guy

I was able to find some spare cables so I could hook things up without the VGA adapter and wired up the converter. I connected the s-video y wire to sync (guessing it was wired wrong on the adapter) and it works great!

Since this was just a test, I left the audio wires alone. I was getting some static noise, so when I hook things up permanently, I may need to put on some kind of filter. Had it on for a while though and it got a little warm, but not hot. Ran the usb power off of the usb port on the TV.

After putting the TV in game mode, I still noticed some slight input lag while using the mouse. Hard to say how much, but I would guess ~50ms. NTSC and PAL resolutions both seem to work pretty well, but depending on the resolution, there might be some overscan issues (missing bits of screen using PAL super high res laced). In all these modes, the colors and pixels both came in crisp! The option for 16:9 also seemed to work great for demos that support it. DBLPal/DBLNtsc modes display garbled though.
I'm including some pictures of De Profundis demo running in 16:9 and the garbled dblpal mode (in case theres a way to make this work).

Since this seems to handle both NTSC and PAL pretty well, I may look into swapping the agnus in my a500 to make it PAL and using it exclusively for that. The price point on this thing is great though, and I'm pretty happy with this. Thanks a lot for making this thread!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	deprofundis.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	66339   Click image for larger version

Name:	dblpal.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	66340  
Old 23 April 2021, 08:29   #58
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Thank you for the great advice guys, I managed to find a similar cable on Amazon Japan, the cable colours were a little different except for the RGB and audio. It was a great picture from the machine. Unfortunately I got a bit too confident and tried to power the device from the RGB port pin 23 +5v and ended up frying my HDMI adapter with a nice little pop, the Amiga seems okay but no picture yet to check. However I have bought another one since when it was working the picture quality was great. There was one little issue where I noticed the mouse pointer was blurred when moving, maybe this is my TV though.
Old 24 April 2021, 22:44   #59
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by amifan View Post
Thank you for the great advice guys, I managed to find a similar cable on Amazon Japan, the cable colours were a little different except for the RGB and audio. It was a great picture from the machine. Unfortunately I got a bit too confident and tried to power the device from the RGB port pin 23 +5v and ended up frying my HDMI adapter with a nice little pop, the Amiga seems okay but no picture yet to check. However I have bought another one since when it was working the picture quality was great. There was one little issue where I noticed the mouse pointer was blurred when moving, maybe this is my TV though.
Which product did you buy?
Old 24 April 2021, 23:48   #60
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I know it's the other way round but I final got a super cheap HDMI to composite converter to play XBOX ONE in another room(don't ask) and contrary to what I was led to belive theres basically no lag and the picture is better than direct composite out of a Xbox 360.