English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 20 July 2021, 10:50   #1
StompinSteve
Village idiot

Unhappy Final Writer 97 crashed on start

Hello Community,

I've installed Final Writer 97 and it crashes the whole system when it starts. The requestor asking about the screenmode is the last thing seen (and it's only partially drawn) before the entire machine freezes.

The error is the now famous "Final Writer, Program Failed (error #8000000B). Wait for disk activity to finish."
The entire system already froze at this point. I does not get the change to generate it's prefs file.

This issue has been covered several times before in the past. For one person, it was Magic Menu that caused such a crash for him. For another, it had to do with the config tool of his Indivision FlickerFixer. A couple of people could actually get FW to work normally.

I'm still in Team "tried everything but FW still crashes"

I can only get FW to start when I boot without a Startup-Sequence, in the CLI I do a "assign env: ram:" and then start FW and it starts without any problems whatsoever. Of course, the resolution is a felt 10x10 pixels but hey, at least it works.

So it must be either a screenmode thing or something in my startup-sequence / user-startup that is ruining my FW retro experience but by now, i'm at a loss.

I removed the screenprefs file from env-archive which made the system boot in patato-mode. FW would still crash in the same way.

I tried disabling BlazeWCP and FBLIT/FTEXT as someone suggested, no difference.

If I start FW normally by booting without a startup-sequence, I can have FW write it's prefs file incl. how it should start up (own screen, 8 colors, not "on Workbench).
If I then reboot normally, then start FW (which now has a valid prefs file), the application outer window is drawn before another error comes. This is "FW97_Process.1 Program Failed (error #8000000B)".

Using Snoopdos is only partially helpful because when booting without startup-sequence, I let SnoopDos generate a logfile that shows how it should behave. I see it try to start it's libraries from LIBS: which it can't, so it then tries it's own personal LIBS folder and those reads are all fine. Same with Fonts. So nothing is physically missing.

When booting normally, SnoopDos does not get the change to write the logfile (only the header) because FW makes the entire system freeze. I can see a part of the SnoopDos output before everything freezes and it looks normal. Of course, if there would be something abnormal, it would not see it because the system froze before SnoopDos could draw it on screen.
So that doesn't help

I assume my installation is ok. It works fine when booting without a startup-sequence after all.
Maybe my problem is related to the Indivision AGA Mk3 flicker-fixer that I use, as someone did have issues with the Mk2 he owned. For him, using a later version of the board's config tool helped. I already use the latest version of the Mk3 config tool and the latest version of the boards firmware.

I use the Apollo supplied 68040 Library as the version that ships with MMULibs makes the system crash at boot. I have zero issues with other applications, games or demos. System is stable as a rock. FW is the only application that causes a total system freeze...

I'm about to give up on getting Final Writer 97 to work
Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try next?

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by StompinSteve; 20 July 2021 at 10:59.