English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 18 June 2021, 20:48   #1
BarryB
Amigaholic

Kenny Dalglish Soccer Manager - Unknown version?

Have a loose disk of Kenny Dalglish Soccer Manager that has 'Power Up' and '(C) Impressions 1990' printed on the disk, as well as the usual 'Kenny Dalglish Soccer Manager' and 'Amiga' but I cannot find any release that matches the disk I have?

The disk itself is corrupt as track 0.0 is ADOS but not formatted and track 0.1 has a track ID of track 80 and is empty, this would be a Copylock track on the original release! The disk itself looks copied in HxC Dummy Disk view so no idea what release it is? The files on the disk match the original SPS #0519 files so it is the same game.

If I create an ADF and install a bootblock it will boot but show a read/write error when loading (should be valid data on track 0.0 but it's bad), click cancel and it will load but not show the loading screens and you have to pull the window down to see the game has loaded underneath!

When/where does the copylock get checked as creating an ADF from the official IPF #0519 let's me load and play the game?
Old 19 June 2021, 10:14   #2
AMIPEGUSER

I have checked my Versions of the Game.
I have 3 different boxed Versions.
1 Original Cognito/Impressions
1 Zeppelin Platinium
1 Power Up

All Disks have the Copy lock on Track 0 Side 1 and the files are all the same.
All disks load in a blue screen with white letters...
Copyright Cognito 1989...Parts of ... ABsoft 1988
and after that there comes just the Main Menu Screen.
I am not so close in that matter to look if Track 0.0 has something to with with Track 80.
Old 19 June 2021, 15:06   #3
BarryB
Amigaholic

I must have the Power Up Version but HOL does not have a box/disk shot for that version, do you have any pics of that release or a Kryoflux/Greaseweazle/SCP dump of it?

The track wit the track 80 ID is where the Copylock track should be, so track 0.1, it's a normal AmigaDOS track on my disk but is empty and the ID is 80 but normally it would be 00. Someone must have copied over the original disk and missed track 0 as it doesn't look to be duplicated.
Old 19 June 2021, 18:15   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I must have the Power Up Version but HOL does not have a box/disk shot for that version, do you have any pics of that release or a Kryoflux/Greaseweazle/SCP dump of it?

The track wit the track 80 ID is where the Copylock track should be, so track 0.1, it's a normal AmigaDOS track on my disk but is empty and the ID is 80 but normally it would be 00. Someone must have copied over the original disk and missed track 0 as it doesn't look to be duplicated.
Not all Copylock tracks show up.

F-29 Retaliator is one that doesnt show up and I know a couple of other games it doesnt show up either.

Rob Northen didnt do this for very long though, maybe it was too easy to duplicate.
Old 19 June 2021, 21:41   #5
BarryB
Amigaholic

Yes, F-29 Retaliator springs to mind, but my disk doesn't have that 'gap' type protection as my track 0 is just plain bad so can't check for it! I'd like a dump of that Power Up release that AMIPEGUSER has to compare!

One other thing Galahad, if you have time, can you check SPS #0519 and find out when/where the Copylock is checked for please? I ask as I stated above I can make an ADF from 0519 and it will load the game and let me play, so does it check for the copylock during the game?

On the FTP in this folder: TOSEC/Games/SPS/Kenny Dalglish's Soccer Manager (1989)(Cognito)[0519].zip
Old 19 June 2021, 23:21   #6
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Hi Barry,

Send me your dump
Old 20 June 2021, 00:16   #7
BarryB
Amigaholic

It's a trainwreck Denis, but I'll send it
Old 20 June 2021, 00:44   #8
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Done : Track 0.0 is empty, tracks 0.1 to 79.1 use the Amiga Track mod (track number is not the real one on each track, ex: track 1.0 is changed to track 80.0, etc).

Track 0.1 is protected, but there is no copylock.

Someone trashed BarryB original disk.
Old 20 June 2021, 02:24   #9
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Done : Track 0.0 is empty, tracks 0.1 to 79.1 use the Amiga Track mod (track number is not the real one on each track, ex: track 1.0 is changed to track 80.0, etc).

Track 0.1 is protected, but there is no copylock.

Someone trashed BarryB original disk.
Agreed, it's trashed, but fixable!

If AMIPEGUSER can dump their Power Up version then we will have a better idea of what the disk should look like!
Old 20 June 2021, 13:52   #10
Fiery Phoenix

The Power Up version of Kenny Dalglish is from a compilation of the same name with Cosmic Pirate and another game I can't remember. I have the original
Old 20 June 2021, 14:29   #11
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
The Power Up version of Kenny Dalglish is from a compilation of the same name with Cosmic Pirate and another game I can't remember. I have the original
The only Power Up compilation listed on HOL does not contain KDSM! Even the entry for KDSM doesn't list a 'classic compilation' for it! But as you say, there is a 'Power Up' compilation by Impressions and there are 2 copies listed on eBay, one shows paper labels and the other has the same screen printing as my disk!

Can you dump your version if possible? Also, is the disk protected on track 0.1, i.e. not an AmigaDOS track?
Old 20 June 2021, 15:40   #12
Fiery Phoenix

Hopefully my memory is not playing tricks....let me check this evening when back at my parents...all my Amiga stuff there. Will be after 9pm UK time
Old 20 June 2021, 16:04   #13
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Hopefully my memory is not playing tricks....let me check this evening when back at my parents...all my Amiga stuff there. Will be after 9pm UK time
Thanks
Old 20 June 2021, 22:45   #14
Fiery Phoenix

Box and disk scan attached

Last edited by Fiery Phoenix; 02 February 2022 at 14:51.
Old 20 June 2021, 23:05   #15
BarryB
Amigaholic

Thanks for the pictures !

That's one of the releases I saw on ebay, do have you any way of dumping the disk?
Old 20 June 2021, 23:16   #16
Fiery Phoenix

I don't I am afraid pal - if needed to dump, happy to post for someone to do, then just post back to me
Old 20 June 2021, 23:43   #17
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
I don't I am afraid pal - if needed to dump, happy to post for someone to do, then just post back to me
I don't think it's worth all that hassle to be honest, but thanks for offering! At least now I know WHAT version I have and where it came from so that answered that question

I'm sure a dump will pop up eventually, AMIPEGUSER might be able to dump his version!
Old 20 December 2021, 00:42   #18
BarryB
Amigaholic

I've now obtained the Power Up compilation Fiery Phoenix pictured and sent it to Denis for anyalysing. Kenny Dalglish has the Copylock track and comparing it against my 'trashed' version 5 tracks are different on the trashed disk and the Power Up release looks duplicated and unmodified in HxC so looks like I can fix my 'trashed' disk
Old 20 December 2021, 12:05   #19
Fiery Phoenix

Fingers crossed

My mate used to love KDSM on the ZX, don;y think the Amiga version was as good
Old 20 December 2021, 13:29   #20
BarryB
Amigaholic

The disks all look duplicated in HxC, only one that may be modified is Cosmic Pirate, it needs the disk write enabled before it will load and probably why no official IPF exists but this copy I have doesn't appear to have any saves on it!

He's checked a few other disks I sent him so waiting for the result of Power Up.

I also have KDSM on +3 disk!!