English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 25 May 2021, 17:16   #1
Radertified

Realtime debugger

I've just come across C64 Debugger which is a realtime C64 debugger. This video [ Show youtube player ] details a lot of its features.

It's never occurred to me to debug in realtime but it would be extremely handy! I imagine training, development, graphics ripping, etc. would all benefit because you can see where things happen at a given moment. Unreal!

This isn't exactly a "UAE Wishlist" post because I don't expect to see this in UAE itself, but more of a curiosity if it exists, perhaps is in development or has even been discussed before. (EDIT: For that reason, maybe a mod can move it to support.WinUAE or similar?)
Old 25 May 2021, 17:19   #2
roondar

Does the debugger in WinUAE not qualify here? Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by "real time"?
Old 25 May 2021, 17:27   #3
Radertified

WinUAE's debugger pauses emulation.

This runs so you can see the screen, code, registers, memory, etc. all update in realtime.
If you need do any actual debugging, you can jump into VICE's debugger (which pauses emulation) to do what you need to. When you're ready, you continue emulation.
Old 25 May 2021, 17:35   #4
Radertified

Actually just thinking about this.

If we could jump into WinUAE's GUI debugger while keeping emulation running so we have 2 windows (screen and debugger), that would do exactly as described. Simple as that
Old 19 October 2021, 22:07   #5
TymoDEV

I think, I wolud add many rippers functions to debugger, and dissasebler for code resourceeing. Debugger under WinUAE should to work with hardware registers of Amiga' chipstet. Thats all.
And thanks for opportunity to use ActioReplay2 with ROM image files.