English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 21 January 2010, 01:24   #1
Dreamcast270mhz
Die Copyright holders!!!

help transferring files to my CF drive

I have no PCs, selling my last one, so I must find new way to transfer files to CF card for a1200. I have a PPC Mac running leopard, so no way to run windows. What is a good solution to this?
Old 21 January 2010, 10:11   #2
musojon74

Yo!

OK well if you just want to put them on cf and stick cf into pcmcia adapter on the 1200 then get a pcmcia --> cf adapter and a usb card reader for the Mac. Then copy away! (Blank cf cards are fat formatted by default). Alternatively if you want the cf formatted for an Amiga and are using cf - ide then you'll need to use e-use I guess and hook the card to an ide on the Mac, then partition the card from uae. I'm afraid I know rather less about the second option, others may better advise you. Hope that post was of some use, I'm not great at writing this stuff down! Muso
Old 21 January 2010, 18:24   #3
MagerValp

Unfortunately E-UAE doesn't support using real devices, only hardfiles. A workaround for this is to dump the CF card to a hardfile:

dd if=/dev/disk2 of=mycf.hdf (substituting the CF's device name for disk2, use diskutil list to find out what it is)

Boot up E-UAE from this hardfile, do your changes, and then write it back to the CF card:

dd if=mycf.hdf of=/dev/disk2

This is of course not a solution I'd recommend for daily use, but I've used it to bootstrap a new install. Note that sudo is probably needed, and typing in the wrong device name can nuke your harddrive. You have been warned :)
Old 21 January 2010, 23:18   #4
Dreamcast270mhz
Die Copyright holders!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musojon74 View Post
Yo!

OK well if you just want to put them on cf and stick cf into pcmcia adapter on the 1200 then get a pcmcia --> cf adapter and a usb card reader for the Mac. Then copy away! (Blank cf cards are fat formatted by default). Alternatively if you want the cf formatted for an Amiga and are using cf - ide then you'll need to use e-use I guess and hook the card to an ide on the Mac, then partition the card from uae. I'm afraid I know rather less about the second option, others may better advise you. Hope that post was of some use, I'm not great at writing this stuff down! Muso
im probably going to use linux ppc, because it has support for SFS and FFS. My CF is the HD of my 12k