Old 13 December 2022, 15:44   #1
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Cecconoid - Amiga port

New port by Hoffman: [ Show youtube player ]

The music rocks
Old 13 December 2022, 15:53   #2
AmyMor

HOFFMAN discovered some secret of PAULA unaware of the others...

But this is a clear reference to CYBERNOID and its programmer Cecco or am I wrong?
Old 13 December 2022, 15:55   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

We would have to ask Hoffman I guess The original is on Steam btw: https://store.steampowered.com/app/683310/Cecconoid/
Old 13 December 2022, 18:01   #4
DisasterIncarna

sounds great, bit weird having speccy like gfx, but whatever, as most retro fans agree, its the gameplay/feelz that count a lot of the time and wth, buying the 2 games bundle on steam because why not. and i'll get this when its out on the amiga because ofc i will.
Old 13 December 2022, 18:09   #5
nikosidis

Fantastic!! Love the music the sfx and the game. This is one to really look forward to!!
Old 13 December 2022, 18:43   #6
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
sounds great, bit weird having speccy like gfx, but whatever, as most retro fans agree, its the gameplay/feelz that count a lot of the time and wth, buying the 2 games bundle on steam because why not. and i'll get this when its out on the amiga because ofc i will.
People forget that Amiga being a creative machine is a blank slate; we are NOT obliged to have a game look and feel like 16 bit or whatever; in this case having only one/two bitmap graphics enable the particle effect to be fast, might also be used for rotation in some cases
Old 13 December 2022, 19:17   #7
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
People forget that Amiga being a creative machine is a blank slate; we are NOT obliged to have a game look and feel like 16 bit or whatever; in this case having only one/two bitmap graphics enable the particle effect to be fast, might also be used for rotation in some cases
kinda makes me wish we had something like "West of Loathing" and its other incarnations, theres not exactly a taxing color palette for those games and their hilarious.
Old 13 December 2022, 20:04   #8
Havie

Looks really great and love the 1 bit(ish) graphics. Nice to see alternative graphical style on the Amiga, shows how versatile it really is.

And he sneaked Zub in too!
Old 13 December 2022, 20:25   #9
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
+1
Imho, more projects should embrace this idea. Indie PC games do this all the time and there have been tons of absolutely spectacular titles with similar styles. Amiga can do this as well and there's a huge amount of untapped potencial here. Games can still have quite impressive visuals, with tons of effects and moving parts on screen, even if the general aesthetic is retro looking.
Old 13 December 2022, 20:56   #10
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsak View Post
+1
imho, more projects should embrace this idea. Indie pc games do this all the time and there have been tons of absolutely spectacular titles with similar styles. Amiga can do this as well and there's a huge amount of untapped potencial here. Games can still have quite impressive visuals, with tons of effects and moving parts on screen, even if the general aesthetic is retro looking.

+1
Old 13 December 2022, 21:17   #11
Legerdemain

It is somewhat ironic, that this... looking like a monochome thing from back before I was born... seems insanely more fresh and current than whatever project trying too look like it was made for the Amiga back when it still had commercial potential.

Extremely good looking, this Cecconoid. One of the most interesting thing I have seen produced for the Amiga in ages.
Old 13 December 2022, 22:22   #12
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Video shows a game that looks really entertaining.
So let's wait 2023 for the release :
https://www.retro32.com/gaming/amiga...oid-amiga-port
Old 14 December 2022, 07:27   #13
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Video shows a game that looks really entertaining.
So let's wait 2023 for the release :
https://www.retro32.com/gaming/amiga...oid-amiga-port
Physical box, wow! Extra Amiga content, WOW!
Old 14 December 2022, 10:47   #14
Daedalus

Yep, the limited palette (IIRC it uses four bitplanes - two in the foreground and two in the background) allows for some very fast rendering. Check out the number of particles moving at once, the smooth screen transitions, the flashes of colour and the elaborate collision detection used in many rooms, all running at 50fps.

There was a very good Galaga clone a little while back that mimicked the Game Boy's graphics (4 greyscale levels), and that also looked and played really well. As was already said, just look at how many indie games on the PC or consoles have the "retro" look but are surprisingly heavy underneath.
Old 14 December 2022, 10:55   #15
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post

There was a very good Galaga clone a little while back that mimicked the Game Boy's graphics (4 greyscale levels)
Thats Tiny Galaga

Old 14 December 2022, 15:54   #16
h0ffman

Daedalus pretty much nailed the tech details of the screen display setup. I'll do some blog post at some point going into more details about all the tech and optimisations in play here but at a top level.

Targeting A500 512kb / 512kb

Adaptive particle engine for the A500 - defaults to 800 but when a frame drop is hit it culls a stack of them so the game doesn't slow down. If the frames have been running fine for 1 second, it bumps the limit back up. If you have a faster Amiga, you'll be able to have thousands of particles running.

SFX - running Roondars mix engine in 4 channel mode leaving three channels for music

Music - using Leonards Light Speed Player for three channels of ProTracker but currently integrating my loop mixer so in effect the music can have 6 channels

Loads of cool Easter Eggs for the Amiga version.

Loads of control options - it's a twin stick shooter after all.

Achievements!

I've been doing dev streams on it every Wednesday night on http://twitch.tv/djh0ffman for about 6 months or so. Starts at 8PM GMT if you're interested.
Old 14 December 2022, 15:58   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
I've been doing dev streams on it every Wednesday night on http://twitch.tv/djh0ffman for about 6 months or so. Starts at 8PM GMT if you're interested.
Ah cool I'll catch the recording tomorrow then.
Old 15 December 2022, 19:23   #18
AmigaBill

Like Butta!

The game plays like butta' and is super fun. This will be another banger from The H0ff!!!
Old 15 December 2022, 23:43   #19
sokolovic

The PC version which doesn't look much better recquires something like 4GB of ram and a quad core cpu at 3ghz.

It looks, for me , that the Amiga version running on a barely expanded A500 is clearly a coding masterpiece.

Bravo H0ffman !
Old 16 December 2022, 09:08   #20
jurassicman

Very interesting indeed... I look forward to seeing it!