English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 01 October 2006, 15:31   #1
saimo

Graphician(s) needed for promising shoot'em up

Hi everybody,

since late 2004 I have been working almost without pause at a brand-new shmup (working title: "uniVERSUS") which, I hope, should appeal to many.
The point I'm at now is critical, as I badly need graphics. Since the game has four different kinds of graphics (backgrounds*, sprites*, cutscenes and terminal GUIs - *most urgent), the work can be done also by several graphicians (but, of course, no more than one pixeller per kind), provided they can make their styles match/blend nicely.
Anybody who wants and is able to seriously commit himself/herself to a demanding yet very interesting and promising project is invited to contact me privately (email: saimobvq%interfree:it). I will answer to each and every application and, of course, I will eventually choose those who impress me most and with whom communication is easier (obviously, people from my country have an advantage in this regard).

Now, I guess that such an announcement would be rather uninteresting if I did not disclose any other information, right?

uniVERSUS is a vertical shoot'em-up which aims at being highly innovative while sporting, at the same time, a great "oldskool" style - in a nutshell, it wants to be a "retro-innovative" game.
It is created with passion, love, careful handcraftmanship and a touch of bedroom-coding insanity; it features fresh ideas never seen before in the genre; it is based on and enriched by complex techniques and mechanics, which, however, do not affect playability in a negative way as the gameplay is engineered to let the player always feel in command and truly enjoy the progress through carefully designed levels.
It targets both newbies and experts of this semi-forgotten genre and, even if the reasons will be inevitably different, it hopes to provide both with lots of pure fun.

uniVERSUS is intended to be released commercially for AmigaOS 4, Linux, MacOS X, Windows XP and possibly other platforms (with AmigaOS 4 receving a "special treatment" as a helping push in this difficult moment) - note that, although developed mainly on AmigaOS 4, uniVERSUS is constantly tested on other platforms as well, so this is not just wishful thinking.
Compensations of all the team members (me included) will be proportional to the amount of work done and to the sales income.

Those who aren't happy with just words (who can blame them? not me, certainly!) can surf to this site and download a WIP demo for both AOS4 and Windows. It is very important, however, to keep in mind that the lack of decent graphics and proper levels does not allow the demo to show the real potential, so I absolutely recommed to read carefully the enclosed design documentation.

Enjoy, and remember that my mailbox is ready to be crammed by your applications
saimo

Old 01 October 2006, 15:48   #2
Marcuz

mail sent
btw, welcome on EAB
Old 01 October 2006, 16:11   #3
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
mail sent
Will answer ASAP.
Quote:
btw, welcome on EAB
Thank you!

saimo

Old 28 November 2006, 17:39   #4
saimo

Hi again,

I'd like to inform you that the currently available version now features the following improvements with respect to that released at the time of the announcement:
* the spaceport is now 99% complete: spaceships can be built from the scratch, parts can be bought/sold/mounted/dis-mounted/re-mounted, etc.;
* there are new weapons and spaceship setups;
* there is a brand new scenario (Lithlet);
* joystick/joypad support has been added;
* finally there is a configuration utility;
* lots of internal improvements, bugfixes, etc.

You can download the latest versions from the website, where you can also find a new section showing many screenshots.

Unfortunately, development has slowed down considerably (practically stopped) in the last two weeks because of lack of collaborators - honestly, it looks like the project is going to die soon. I'd love if you could help in any useful way to keep it alive.

Cheers,
saimo

Old 28 November 2006, 18:18   #5
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
you know what ? some time ago (I guess more than a year) I read a post (here or a.org) of a guy making graphics for a game and looking for a coder I uploaded his concept work into the zone (razzor). The package also includes his contact address. I hope he's still interested in a project (his graphics are cool).
Old 28 November 2006, 18:23   #6
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze
you know what ? some time ago (I guess more than a year) I read a post (here or a.org) of a guy making graphics for a game and looking for a coder I uploaded his concept work into the zone (razzor). The package also includes his contact address. I hope he's still interested in a project (his graphics are cool).
OK, I'll check it out (if I manage to find it).
Thanks!

edit: oh, well... I cannot access the zone... can anybody help, please?

saimo

Last edited by saimo; 28 November 2006 at 18:34.

Old 28 November 2006, 19:06   #7
mrodfr

hello,

there is the zone! button at the beginning of the page (on the right). simply click on the the zone! (at the left side of log out), to have access to the zone!

gfx is like alien breed amiga.

hope your project will never die
Old 28 November 2006, 19:14   #8
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodfr
there is the zone! button at the beginning of the page (on the right). simply click on the the zone! (at the left side of log out), to have access to the zone!
Sorry, I was not clear. I meant that access is forbidden to me. This is the error message I get:
Quote:
saimo, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Quote:
gfx is like alien breed amiga.
Bear in mind that most of the graphics is temporary.

Quote:
hope your project will never die
Thank you.
But hopes are low. Very low.

saimo

Old 28 November 2006, 20:16   #9
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Hi saimo and welcome to EAB. Your game sounds extremely promising - look forward to it and hope you suceed in getting it finished!

This tells you how to get into the Zone!:
http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=vb_...ezone_faq_item
Old 28 November 2006, 23:48   #10
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy
Hi saimo and welcome to EAB. Your game sounds extremely promising - look forward to it and hope you suceed in getting it finished!
Thanks, very kind of you

Quote:
This tells you how to get into the Zone!:
http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=vb_...ezone_faq_item
/me blushes
Thanks again! It did work and I could download razzor's graphics.

BTW: razzor's art is very clean and professional, but far from what I need, as they are (partially) rendered, whereas I need hand-pixelled graphics. Anyways, I will try to contact him - and I will keep you posted as well.

saimo

Old 29 November 2006, 00:43   #11
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo
Anyways, I will try to contact him - and I will keep you posted as well.
Well, it's been quicker than I thought:

Quote:
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

invent at iinet.net.au

saimo

Old 29 November 2006, 00:44   #12
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo
uniVERSUS is intended to be released commercially for AmigaOS 4, Linux, MacOS X, Windows XP and possibly other platforms
What's it built in / on ?
Old 29 November 2006, 11:09   #13
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv
What's it built in / on ?
100% C + libSDL (if I'll ever have a reason to implement the audio part, I will use SDL_mixer as well).

saimo