Hijack away, it's all good information
only if it's correct lol
Old 30 November 2020, 21:22   #22
polomint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelfill View Post
only if it's correct lol
So true, hahah

It'll be nice to have a load of correct info in this thread so when I get the ACA500+ I only have to go through a single thread (mostly heh)
Old 01 December 2020, 06:40   #23
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polomint View Post
I think it is considered advisable to have the System partition to be only 4GB, once WB is booted then the second partition of more than 4GB is fine. I think
This depends on what scsi.device version and flavour you have in ROM and which filesystem you have in the RDB.

With the pfs3aio filesystem, the first limit without scsi.device patches is around 7.8GB (a CF card advertised as 8GB will be around that size).

The ACA500plus has an "ide update" feature which also allows arbitrarily sized CF cards right from cold boot.

So now the question is: do you need interoperability or are you going to use the card in only the aca500plus? If only the aca500plus, you can just enable the IDE update and use whichever card size you wish. Better have a megabyte of RAM for each gigabyte of disk partition if you intend to use FFS though.. Pfs3aio is recommended.
Old 01 December 2020, 06:45   #24
polomint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
This depends on what scsi.device version and flavour you have in ROM and which filesystem you have in the RDB.

With the pfs3aio filesystem, the first limit without scsi.device patches is around 7.8GB (a CF card advertised as 8GB will be around that size).

The ACA500plus has an "ide update" feature which also allows arbitrarily sized CF cards right from cold boot.

So now the question is: do you need interoperability or are you going to use the card in only the aca500plus? If only the aca500plus, you can just enable the IDE update and use whichever card size you wish. Better have a megabyte of RAM for each gigabyte of disk partition if you intend to use FFS though.. Pfs3aio is recommended.
Thank you, that is good information to know.

I will only be using it in the ACA500+. I can use the secondary CF as a transfer mechanism with my PC (or I may use the network once I get a network card for it)

Query: The main CF, if I am only using it in the ACA500+, can I use a 32GB card, with a 4GB partition as System, and a 28GB partition (as Data) without any issues?
Old 01 December 2020, 06:48   #25
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polomint View Post
Query: The main CF, if I am only using it in the ACA500+, can I use a 32GB card, with a 4GB partition as System, and a 28GB partition (as Data) without any issues?
Yes, but as said, you really should use an alternate filesystem with such large partitions and the limited amount of RAM that the ACA500plus comes with.
Old 01 December 2020, 06:50   #26
polomint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Yes, but as said, you really should use an alternate filesystem with such large partitions and the limited amount of RAM that the ACA500plus comes with.
Excellent, I will have to check the information about the pfs3aio filesystem.