English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 June 2009, 07:37   #1
mattbarton.exe

Cool Exploring the Games of the PLATO Computer System

I decided to take an in-depth look at the games on the enigmatic and amazing PLATO computer system, developed in the 60s and enhanced/expanded during the 70s and 80s. I've heard a lot about the system and was happy to take it for a spin, looking at rare games like spasim. It's pretty obvious to me that many of our favorite games were inspired by these PLATO titles (Elite, Battlezone, Star Control!), but take a look and let me know what you think!

[ Show youtube player ]

P.S. You should probably watch this in HD or the vector displays might look blurry.
Old 06 June 2009, 08:06   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Very interesting video this time Matt I heard a bit about PLATO, but never seen any games yet. So your review is very welcome
The games mostly look way to complicated for me, but the RPGs seem to be quite interesting. Guess I try my luck with http://www.cyber1.org/ and see if I can at least start a game
Old 06 June 2009, 11:20   #3
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I agree, the games look very difficult... Really enjoyed this video Matt, I could have watched a lot more of this.
Weird to think that computer games started in this way and even weirder that they are still appealing in their own way.
Old 06 June 2009, 14:17   #4
AmigaFriend

Great video Matt, as always. This platform I wasn't aware that existed till I saw your video. Very interesting.
Old 06 June 2009, 15:16   #5
laffer
Zone Friend

Very cool and interesting review. I would never have the patience for those games, though... maybe if I lived back then I would have looked at it differently.
Old 06 June 2009, 18:38   #6
mattbarton.exe

Thanks for the nice comments, guys, much appreciated! Cyberdruid, that's the way I connected to the games as well. They seem to have a nice community there of folks who are very knowledgeable of the system and willing to help out.

If you want to learn more you can also watch this old Computer Chronicles episode:
http://www.archive.org/details/Educatio1986_2

They focus there on the educational stuff, though.