English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 24 April 2010, 11:30   #21
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

@Tonyyeb

Can you post some pics of UAE4DROID running on the Desire. I'm getting my Desire next week and will definitely be checking this out. Can't wait to play stuff like Civilization and Theme Park on the train.
Old 20 May 2010, 04:44   #22
source
Zone Friend

I was wondering if anyone has used UAEDroid to run any of the ultima series. I was wondering if the virtual or real keyboard would work best for the emulator. My cell phone contract is coming due, and I want to get an android phone I am currently looking at a Sony Ericson but it only has a virtual keyboard. There are others that have a real keyboard.
Old 01 June 2010, 11:43   #23
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I wonder if I could run my old /X BBS on an HTC Desire. That would be funny - the thought of carrying my BBS around with me rather than it sitting on a large A2000 with another box with full height 5.25" HDDs attached!

Updates. pics and videos guys. I'm veering away from my iPhone to the Droid
Old 01 June 2010, 15:31   #24
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
Ill do some pics or maybe a video at some point this week.
Old 01 June 2010, 18:03   #25
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Just ordered a Desire today. Looking forward to giving UAE4Droid a test run
Old 01 June 2010, 20:48   #26
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
My young brother has one HTC it cost here 549 euros alone without any 'phone package'
Old 11 June 2010, 12:51   #27
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Received my Desire today and I'm looking forward to giving this a test run. I just need to get an SD card first!
Old 11 June 2010, 15:06   #28
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
My young brother has one HTC it cost here 549 euros alone without any 'phone package'
That's quite expensive... the current cheapassed price here in .nl is EUR 413,-
Old 11 June 2010, 23:59   #29
KONEY
OctaMED Music Composer

Guys I installed the thing on my LG Link Me phone but when I run it I can't go past the very first screen (the one with change list, etc) with "configure" and "start" buttons. They both don't do nothing nor give any message about what's going on. Any clue?
Old 19 June 2010, 01:36   #30
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

A bit OT but anyone who's got android really needs to give swype a go. Its bloody brilliant!
Old 19 June 2010, 10:32   #31
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
A bit OT but anyone who's got android really needs to give swype a go. Its bloody brilliant!
Is it free? if not, we here in Norway can't get it. All we can access is free apps.
Old 19 June 2010, 11:00   #32
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Its a free beta at the minute.
Old 26 September 2010, 17:31   #33
_Steve_

I tried it on my Galaxy S last night, and it worked reasonably well, but has a few issues.

Firstly, it lacks full mouse support (I was playing BattleChess on it, but you cannot select the right mouse button at all for the menu), and it only has an overlay for the joystick.

The mouse pointer is way out of position from where you press, but you can work around it on the most part. It only supports adf, so no IPF images or DMS disk images.

It lacks ALT, CTRL and Amiga keys, so anything needing those and you have problem. The onscreen keyboard also takes up the entire screen when selected, so you cannot see what you are typing. Ideally, you'd be wanting to play a game that needs joystick support only.

Frame rates (with sound) were fine considering it is running on a mobile phone.
Old 27 September 2010, 15:43   #34
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Could we have some pics and/or videos please...
Old 02 October 2010, 23:11   #35
MethodGit

Something tells me this thing isn't designed very well for tablets. Or at least not tablets like the one I've got here (don't know the manufacturer, it just said "Android 2.1" on the box). That and it runs very slow.

So the consensus is that it runs and performs better/faster on phones?
Old 03 October 2010, 01:20   #36
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

My missus has a Galaxy S, so I might try it on that..
Old 08 October 2010, 09:51   #37
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

5 or 6 posts from Desire owners to be saying they'd try it and report back and not ONE report back.

How does it work on Desire, any chance of some feedback or a video?

its a popular phone but before I switch to Android I'd like to know this works well.
Old 08 October 2010, 09:52   #38
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
@Methanoid

What do you want testing and ill try on my Desire when I get in from work?
Old 08 October 2010, 10:23   #39
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I'll give the latest version a quick test on my Desire.

Note that you can only play A500 games as the A1200 ROM isn't supported.

I have tried The Settlers but it appears to have stopped loading when you try to start a game. Odd.

Ok, the second test is a Cannon Fodder 2 xmas demo. No its loaded back into The Settlers! What the hell. lol. No that still doesn't work properly. lol.

Hmph there seems to be a bug. It won't remove The Settlers even though I have ejected the virtual disk it is still booting it. Bloody thing! Lmao!

Ok I have closed and restarted the application with the Cannon Fodder 2 demo. Seems to be loading ok. Selected Level 1 to play. You can have floppy LEDs on screen showing the loading like in WinUAE. Ah it loaded! Sound is perfect in this version. Sounds just like it should! Seems to be running at a good speed as well. Damn I got killed! lol. You use the optical pad to move the mouse but pressing it isn't firing the gun. Shit! Oh god damn it, I forgot it uses the right mouse button to fire! Ah bollocks! I don't think there is a right mouse button! Hmm. Seems you can swap the mouse button by going into the menu but you can only have one at a time. That makes Cannon Fodder unplayable. Also noticed distortion and flickering in the bottom part of the Amiga screen when you fire your gun. Strange!

I'll try another game then. Bubba n Stix. Pressing the HTC Desire menu button brings up a list of options at the bottom of the screen:

Manage, Reset, Quit, Load State, Save State, More..
Switch to keyboard mode
Show touch controls
Change mouse button

When you go into Manage you can add and remove disks from the virtual drive. I just tried again with Cannon Fodder 2 and even though I removed the disk the bloody thing is still loading the previous disk. I can see this getting very fu**ing annoying!

Ok I used the quit option which closes the emulation but allows you to configure the Amiga and restart the emulation. This appears to be the only way to restart with a new game. Bubba n Stix was booting ok but has just come up with an Amiga error. Out of Memory! Please reboot and remove any external drive. Great! This is going well. lol. I'll remove disk 2 and try again. Its loading... Nope same error.

Ok the next test is Alien Breed Tower Assault... Loading ok so far...Strange, its asking for disk 2 even though I put it in DF1. No matter. Swap disks, press fire buton (optical pad). Great its loaded to the start screen. You can have on screen joypad-style controls. I think I will need them for this game... Let have a go, its just loaded to the game...Hmm this seems pretty damn good. The on-screen transparent controls are easy to use. There is a slight lag in the sound. When you fire your gun the sound starts about half a second after it starts firing. Its quite noticable. Good speed though. Scrolling is fairly smooth. I'm into the main complex now.

I use the virtual pad to move the player and the optical pad to fire the gun. Works well. I just removed the on-screen LEDs to get a bit more screen shown. Its annoying that when you leave the Manage part of the menu it always ask you if you want to reset the Amiga. No! I was just turning off the LEDs god damn it!! Stop asking me!! You can have the display stretched to fill the screen or 1x pixels or 2x pixels with correct aspect ration. I am using 2x pixels and it looks pretty good. Almost fills the screen and is the correct aspect ratio. Ok entering the complex...

Seems to play that game well. The frame rate drops every so often but it plays well, the controls work well for one button joystick type games. Sound was good if slightly laggy. I will try some more games later.

Last edited by Steve; 08 October 2010 at 11:07.
Old 09 October 2010, 00:14   #40
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Great, thanks guys. steve I love the running commentary.

How about Millennium 2.2, dungeon master and paradroid 90. Prob 3 of my faves. I've got iPad and iPhone but no UAE for them so might have to get an Android phone.

Battle squadron?