English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 June 2018, 22:30   #121
buzzybee

Important milestone today: RESHOOT R debuted on a real Amiga CD32-console today.

Amiga distributor APC & TCP invited to show the game at their booth at the Retrobörse event held in Rosenheim – one of South Germanys biggest meets and greets for gamers and collectors alike.
I decided to show the game on a CD32, not on some emulated powermachine or superexpanded Amiga, which has nothing in common with the original machines from the early 1990s. I had to go through some intense days of coding and debugging before the show. Just one week ago, the game needed just a bit too much memory; just two days ago, it needed an 68030-cpu or better. After finding and killing the cause (for experts: move.w#$2000,sr) it finally ran on a CD32 emulation – but did not seem to boot on the original machine. Or so I thought.

Only this morning, just a couple of hours before the public premiere of RESHOOT R on CD32, I burned ISO-files on several blank media CD-R discs. And so learned that the CD32 console is very picky and only accepts a handful of CD-R types. Sony CD-R, to be exact.

It was a pleasure to watch people not only play RESHOOT R, but enjoy it. Everyone who had a go, stuck to the game, tried to beat the highscore, obviously glued by that very important "just one more go" feeling that marks a well designed game. All those small and big modifications I implemented the past months, based on feedback at the gamescom and Amiga32 show, seem to work: Collission detection, extra weapons and so on.

Thanks to all my supporters, and all people testplaying the game. Without you RESHOOT R would not be the same!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	retroboerse.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	58525  
Old 09 June 2018, 23:46   #122
eXeler0

Sounds great man, well done!
Looking forward to playing it on real hardware myself.
Old 10 June 2018, 00:02   #123
Amigajay

Great news Richard, glad you got it running on the CD32, albeit with some issues! I didnt find my CD32 to be picky with CD-R media, my Neo-Geo CD was very picky though, i guess media varies alot.

But anyway, really looking forward to trying this out!
Old 10 June 2018, 00:05   #124
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Great news Richard, glad you got it running on the CD32, albeit with some issues! I didnt find my CD32 to be picky with CD-R media, my Neo-Geo CD was very picky though, i guess media varies alot.

But anyway, really looking forward to trying this out!
My CD32 was picky, then I got a new CD burner drive and it was way less picky.
Old 10 June 2018, 11:30   #125
Gzegzolka

Cool news
Old 11 June 2018, 11:01   #126
Overflow

Thanks for the progress report Richard

Im glad I can support your effort thru Patreon, even tho not enough people have taken the "trouble" to do so.

https://www.patreon.com/loewenstein/overview

There are room for more people !
Old 11 June 2018, 11:36   #127
buzzybee

Hi Overflow, thanks for your support. I wish more people would realise how much time and effort is needed to put together a game like RESHOOT R for a retro platform, and would appreciate by spending a few euros per month.

It´s people like you who keep the artists and creators motivation high, which will therefore result in a finished game that anyone can enjoy.
Old 11 June 2018, 11:58   #128
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Important milestone today: RESHOOT R debuted on a real Amiga CD32-console today.

Amiga distributor APC & TCP invited to show the game at their booth at the Retrobörse event held in Rosenheim – one of South Germanys biggest meets and greets for gamers and collectors alike.
I decided to show the game on a CD32, not on some emulated powermachine or superexpanded Amiga, which has nothing in common with the original machines from the early 1990s. I had to go through some intense days of coding and debugging before the show. Just one week ago, the game needed just a bit too much memory; just two days ago, it needed an 68030-cpu or better. After finding and killing the cause (for experts: move.w#$2000,sr) it finally ran on a CD32 emulation – but did not seem to boot on the original machine. Or so I thought.

Only this morning, just a couple of hours before the public premiere of RESHOOT R on CD32, I burned ISO-files on several blank media CD-R discs. And so learned that the CD32 console is very picky and only accepts a handful of CD-R types. Sony CD-R, to be exact.

It was a pleasure to watch people not only play RESHOOT R, but enjoy it. Everyone who had a go, stuck to the game, tried to beat the highscore, obviously glued by that very important "just one more go" feeling that marks a well designed game. All those small and big modifications I implemented the past months, based on feedback at the gamescom and Amiga32 show, seem to work: Collission detection, extra weapons and so on.

Thanks to all my supporters, and all people testplaying the game. Without you RESHOOT R would not be the same!
Nice one, well done Richard

Quote:
Hi Overflow, thanks for your support. I wish more people would realise how much time and effort is needed to put together a game like RESHOOT R for a retro platform, and would appreciate by spending a few euros per month.

It´s people like you who keep the artists and creators motivation high, which will therefore result in a finished game that anyone can enjoy.
I'll support you, I just don't do Paetron. Unfortunately I think others are simlar in their thinking...

If you get a pre-order page up I'll throw money your way immediately
Old 13 June 2018, 20:21   #129
thairacerjp

Hi Richard, you have a new Patreon support , your game development , gameplay is more and more delight, I will keep a eye on it !
your right, burning for the CD32 is very dependent of the CD burner and speed.
keep the good work and keep Alive Amiga Spirit.
cheers.

VERBATIM CDR WORKS GREAT TO !

Last edited by thairacerjp; 13 June 2018 at 22:26.
Old 13 June 2018, 20:45   #130
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I'll support you, I just don't do Paetron. Unfortunately I think others are simlar in their thinking...

Yep
Old 13 June 2018, 21:07   #131
mcgeezer

Excellent work Richard, and thanks for the info on the CD32 with the Sony CDR's as my next project will only run on that platform.

Keep it up, I will happily buy your game once completed!
Old 14 June 2018, 03:17   #132
buzzybee

@thairacerjp: I´ve seen your addition to my Patreon campaign and really, really appreciate! Thank you!

@mcgeezer: Good Luck with your project! Any more info bits you may share already? Regarding the "picky CD32": I burned my discs on a 2015-Macbook, this might by important for a successful procedure too.
Old 14 June 2018, 16:48   #133
mcgeezer

Quote:

@mcgeezer: Good Luck with your project! Any more info bits you may share already? Regarding the "picky CD32": I burned my discs on a 2015-Macbook, this might by important for a successful procedure too.
Not started coding anything solid yet but getting the shell of a game idea ready over the next couple of months is what I'm doing. Though I can say I'm thinking along the lines of a mesh between Turrican and Impossible Mission - two games I love.
Old 28 July 2018, 22:08   #134
thairacerjp

A little UP ! for support, the game working nice on PS-VITA via uae4all and classic workbench , can't wait the finished game !
playing in emulation is good cause we could have save state ! cause your game is HARD but so GOOD
keep the good work !
[ Show youtube player ]

EDIT MY VIDEO HAVE BEEN DELETED ??

EDIT 2 MY VIDEO IS COMING BACK AH AH ??

Last edited by thairacerjp; 29 July 2018 at 12:30.
Old 29 July 2018, 02:57   #135
buzzybee

Thanks for your kind words. Suppose you mean the demo – the video link does not work though. Would love to see RESHOOT R on the PS Vita!
Old 29 July 2018, 10:13   #136
thairacerjp

I've been disappointed cause youtube began to upset me, not it turn to be a merchandising website..... so I I've uploaded to Vimeo , sorry for the delay !
yeah ! it's the demo from Christmas , thanks for your work Richard.

Last edited by thairacerjp; 29 July 2018 at 12:31.
Old 29 July 2018, 11:11   #137
DamienD
Banned

Where did you find the demo of Reshoot R? Would be nice to try
Old 29 July 2018, 11:21   #138
thairacerjp

hi DamienD , i found on Earok christmass cd 2017 :
http://www.indieretronews.com/2017/1...ecial.html?m=1

Enjoy !
Old 29 July 2018, 13:37   #139
DamienD
Banned

Thanks thairacerjp, should have mentioned earlier that I'd already found it straight after my post

...but to save people having to download a 303.5MB file for use only on an Amiga CD32 just to play this demo; I've done the following:
  • Downloaded the above.
  • Taken off the ReshootR folder / files only.
  • Created an icon / script to launch the game.
  • Produced an .LHA archive.
A1200 users can now test this out and just need to extract the archive to their hard drives

"ReshootR_demo.lha" is now in The Zone!
Old 29 July 2018, 14:43   #140
roondar

Thanks! I've been itching to try this