English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 09 July 2023, 10:06   #21
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
basementApe has been working on a really promising looking port of Rastan, the alpha demo for A500 1MB is now available to download and play.

Links:

itch: https://basementape.itch.io/rastan-amiga-500
IRN: https://www.indieretronews.com/2023/...a-500-and.html

Saberman:

[ Show youtube player ]

Wow !
Old 09 July 2023, 11:55   #22
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
BasementApe has problem with EAB account authentication right now, so gave me this text to post here:
If you could PM me what kind of issue he has I can forward it so that it hopefully can be resolved.
Old 09 July 2023, 19:02   #23
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
If you could PM me what kind of issue he has I can forward it so that it hopefully can be resolved.
He was banned because not making parallax in his game.
Old 09 July 2023, 21:32   #24
jotd
This cat is no more

lol and no copper skies. A true crime.
Old 09 July 2023, 22:53   #25
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris1997XX View Post
Since he intends to release the source code, hopefully someone will make an improved AGA version too
He does? I haven’t read that anywhere? Haha.
Old 09 July 2023, 23:33   #26
Cris1997XX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
He does? I haven’t read that anywhere? Haha.
Well...he talked about it on Discord, in the Commodore Amiga server Click image for larger version

Name:	Immagine 2023-07-09 233127.png
Views:	69
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	79587
Old 10 July 2023, 16:49   #27
Bren McGuire

you clearly do not understand what i say and put words in my mouth that i did not say

i agree the colors on the arcade port are awful i never said have more colors or parallax scrolling i NEVER said that i said "add detail to graphics"

the vast flat colors on this game make it look empty and dead details like shapes of rocks or other stuff can add a lot of life to the graphics without changing how the game works one bit. but tit does require extra time andd effort put forward. i dont think there is any technical limitation to "work more on graphics" it just seems they do not want to work more on the graphics.

and i know this person can do so much better because the sprites look amazing and also thats what makes the backgrounds look so dead the sprites are full of rich detail and look gorgeous

i also never said i wanted a 1:1 port saimon69 so youre talking a load of tosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Besides, you can try your own port with millions parallaxes, and colors that would bring headache to anyone with a little bit of taste for colors.
Cooper can add depth.
Old 10 July 2023, 16:50   #28
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Guys doing great
Old 10 July 2023, 17:14   #29
jotd
This cat is no more

Level design is what makes this game great
Old 10 July 2023, 17:42   #30
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
i agree the colors on the arcade port are awful i never said have more colors or parallax scrolling i NEVER said that i said "add detail to graphics"

the vast flat colors on this game make it look empty and dead details like shapes of rocks or other stuff can add a lot of life to the graphics without changing how the game works one bit. but tit does require extra time andd effort put forward. i dont think there is any technical limitation to "work more on graphics" it just seems they do not want to work more on the graphics.
Afaik, the sole reason for the backgrounds not being overly detailed or varied in this project is RAM. The original indeed has excellent variation with loads of different mountains and rocks in the back, plus these iconic huge statues. However all these cost a ton of RAM to include and the more complex these are, the more RAM is needed, simply because of the tile variations required to make these fit seamlessly. So to be able to fit all enemies, character moves and the foreground gfx (plus music and sfx) he simply had to compromise the backs one way or the other.

Now having said that I know he's actively working on this issue, especially after we managed to save quite a few kb from reworking/polishing the music (I gave some help in that regard).
So -hopefully- we'll see more background variation moving forwards.
Old 10 July 2023, 18:39   #31
Bren McGuire

again words are being put in my mouth i never said to add that kinda stuff i said work on what is already there give it more detail. like those flat areas on the ground or the sky. instead of basing them on a flat color square give the square some texture or something

i dont think i am talking crazy here the sprites have so much detail that the flat backgrounds make them feel out of place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Afaik, the sole reason for the backgrounds not being overly detailed or varied in this project is RAM. The original indeed has excellent variation with loads of different mountains and rocks in the back, plus these iconic huge statues. However all these cost a ton of RAM to include and the more complex these are, the more RAM is needed
Old 10 July 2023, 18:50   #32
Cris1997XX

Quote:
again words are being put in my mouth i never said to add that kinda stuff i said work on what is already there give it more detail. like those flat areas on the ground or the sky. instead of basing them on a flat color square give the square some texture or something

i dont think i am talking crazy here the sprites have so much detail that the flat backgrounds make them feel out of place
So he should downgrade the sprites just to make it look less "out of place"? What did I even read...
Old 10 July 2023, 19:43   #33
donnie

There has been alot of great games in the making lately.. but this game has some of the best sprite work of any current or old amiga game.

Basement ape is a real talent if their ever was one.

16 colors to boot. really Impressive.

The original character art in rastan was good, everything else in rastan was really early pixel art.

The amiga version is absolutely top notch stuff.

This looks better than the original arcade.

Look at it! fucking amazing.
Old 10 July 2023, 19:49   #34
Bren McGuire

do you even read yourself how could anyone make that conclusion maybe you dont know what you read i think
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris1997XX View Post
So he should downgrade the sprites just to make it look less "out of place"? What did I even read...
Old 10 July 2023, 20:07   #35
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:

You said (and I quote your exact words) "I dont think there is any technical limitation to "work more on graphics" it just seems they do not want to work more on the graphics". So all I did is I gave you exactly technical reasons for the backs looking as they do and why this is not the case of the creator simply 'refusing to work further on them'. Let me try one more time to explain better:

Adding more details to backgrounds (vs f.e. using a flat color) requires more RAM. Why? Because in the flat color's case you only need a single tile to fill large areas, whereas if you add even a single pixel, repeating patterns start to emerge. And to make these patterns look seamless (and not painful to look at), you need a lot more tiles. Which means more RAM. Got it now?

And if this is not a technical reason enough for you, here's another one: One characteristic of making good backgrounds is that they need not to obscure the player and enemies or getting mixed with the foreground gfx. In the case of the arcade , this is easy to do cause all it needs is for the backs to use their own palette and color ramps. However in this case the game uses a single 16 color palette, which means that available colors for the backs are severely limited. So adding more detail in this case is problematic cause when you start using common and brighter colors, not only then you risk losing depth (backs need to be dim and desaturated), but also start mixing with the foreground.
Old 10 July 2023, 20:52   #36
demether

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Level design is what makes this game great

The music is also great
Old 10 July 2023, 23:13   #37
Bren McGuire

no mate you only just explained it now and in a rather awful tone that isnt appreciated
i understand now why the game backgrounds look like absolute garbage
also this is done with a game engine which absolutely hinders the capability the amiga is not being used to the max here. 1MB is plenty and there are many Amiga games that have nice background graphics and run on 1MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
So all I did is I gave you exactly technical reasons for the backs looking as they do and why this is not the case of the creator simply 'refusing to work further on them'. Let me try one more time to explain better:

Adding more details to backgrounds (vs f.e. using a flat color) requires more RAM. Why? Because in the flat color's case you only need a single tile to fill large areas, whereas if you add even a single pixel, repeating patterns start to emerge. And to make these patterns look seamless (and not painful to look at), you need a lot more tiles. Which means more RAM. Got it now?
Old 11 July 2023, 00:03   #38
jotd
This cat is no more

I understand your frustration about using an engine, but the main reason why people use engines for that kind of game is probably the 8 way scrolling that Scorpion handles so well.

Also, it allows people without asm/C programming skills to create games, and those people are often good at graphics. Maybe once it's done you can ask for the assets and try a non-scorpion version (I'd like to see a ECS version of Xevious, so many people claimed that it would be smooth on A500 and with good colors).

I wouldn't use an engine, but if I had to I'd chose Scorpion. Also I don't think I could take on a 8-way tiled scrolling game in assembly on my spare time. The only one that pulled that out recently (and completed the game!) was Muzza with Turrican 2 AGA.
Old 11 July 2023, 00:57   #39
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
no mate you only just explained it now and in a rather awful tone that isnt appreciated
Well, my reply was meant to be in a friendly (and hopefully informative) tone. If you have interpreted it in a different way, you have my sincere apologies
Look, I think this has escalated for no good reason. You've gone from this:

Quote:
i understand the limitations of Amiga and this is a great port but I think the graphics could be worked on a bit more they feel a little lifeless, not the characters but the backgrounds for example the really vast plain color areas like the sky and the dark color under the ground
to this:

Quote:
i understand now why the game backgrounds look like absolute garbage
If you ask me, you made a perfectly good argument in your very first reply. I think none disagrees that the backgrounds could look even better. Just keep in mind that the game is WIP and that stuff like that are actively worked on.
Old 11 July 2023, 01:37   #40
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

By the way, i did look at the best of the bunch of ports, the Apple IIgs version; no parallax,ok, but the background in the latter levels brings some confusion
[ Show youtube player ]