English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 03 October 2023, 11:01   #121
Lustmord13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
What is a bad joke is you and your attitude. If you would learn to read or maybe just took a bit of time to actually check things before you start offending people that spent hours on testing the games and making sure they run ok, then you would see on the top of the page what pistorm is used for which tester. Actually all of the testers use pistorm32 on A1200 currently - none with the classic pistorm users came forward so far to do any of the testing.
Even so, the classic pistorm still needs to get some cruical fixes for SMC and IRQ timing, I am sure that will come soon too.

Hi tomcat, first of all I wanted to thank you and all the staff for the effort you are making on Emu68 to make it as compatible as possible, when I can I like to follow the progress you make on discord, a curiosity but has the gods game also been fixed? it's one of my favorite games.

Thank you and don't listen to those who criticize, they don't know the work you are doing.
Old 03 October 2023, 13:14   #122
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustmord13 View Post
Hi tomcat, first of all I wanted to thank you and all the staff for the effort you are making on Emu68 to make it as compatible as possible, when I can I like to follow the progress you make on discord, a curiosity but has the gods game also been fixed? it's one of my favorite games.

Thank you and don't listen to those who criticize, they don't know the work you are doing.
You are very welcome

Yes, Gods has been fixed with the latest fixes. Fully playable and perfect now.
Old 03 October 2023, 15:27   #123
Lemaru

Note that the latest fixes should be publicly available when RC2 is released (possibly not until after Amiga38)
Old 13 October 2023, 15:30   #124
mahen

Hi everyone ! Big noob here, looking for pointers !

Which CPU libs do I have to install over my 3.2.2.1 OS ? (to begin with, I'll stick to my existing internal IDE install)

On the compatibility list, I see many cases where EmuControl is required. Is that some kind of temporary workaround or will it be required forever ?

Is it possible to have a "conservative / compatible / not that fast" setting at bootup or easy to enable ?

cheers & sorry if all those have been answered earlier !!

mahen
Old 13 October 2023, 15:43   #125
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by torturedutopian View Post
On the compatibility list, I see many cases where EmuControl is required. Is that some kind of temporary workaround or will it be required forever ?

Is it possible to have a "conservative / compatible / not that fast" setting at bootup or easy to enable ?
Since you can simply call EmuControl in the WHDLoad scripts for startup and cleanup, it's not a big deal. But yes, it will always be needed to get the games working, as no game made for the Amiga back then was ever intended to run on a CPU with 800 to 2500 MIPS.

Of course, you can also just call EmuControl in your startup-sequence and make the system much slower by default. But then you are better off getting a 030 turbo card instead, which is way more compatible.

The more games I test, the more I would stay away from Emu68 if all you want is to play OCS/ECS games. I run into more and more issues with games the longer I play them. Sound issues are the most common, second are slowdowns and blitter issues messing up sprites randomly. Sadly, this affects even common games like Mortal Kombat, Turrican 2+3, UFO, Stunt Car Racer, Final Fight, No Second Prize, and many others you most likely want to play (despite what the lazy compatibility list might say).

I'm now at 165 games deeply tested. 151 are working, with 7 of them having issues, but not game-breaking. 14 are not playable due to serious issues (crashing, garbled graphics etc.). This makes 87% compatibility so far.

Emu68 really shines for modern ports, emulators, everything RTG etc.

@tomcat666: I have no idea what's wrong with you. You apparently felt personally attacked by me for whatever reason, even if nothing I said was addressed to you. Anyway, welcome on my ignore list.

Last edited by derSammler; 13 October 2023 at 16:15.
Old 13 October 2023, 15:54   #126
mahen

Oh ! Then it's obviously not for me, indeed ! I'm glad you warned me ! Compatibility with old stuff is a must for me. I was looking for this & enough speed for 060 demos and some ID software ports.

Do you get such issues with a real 040 or 060 ?

I'll stick to me 030 meanwhile I really wanted to have something to throw at my Roland Sound Canvas but I'll wait

But I'll definitely keep a look on this wonderful project ! Thanks to all involved !

Last edited by mahen; 13 October 2023 at 16:27.
Old 13 October 2023, 16:03   #127
derSammler

Quote:
Do you get such issues with a real 040 or 060 ?
Yes. 030 (with MMU) is best for WHDLoad compatibility. 040 is not much worse but starts to show additional issues. 060 is not recommended, as you will get slowdowns in many games that heavily rely on chipram speed.
Old 13 October 2023, 16:04   #128
MartinW

To actually answer your question, you do not install a specific CPU lib. Emu68 injects its own lib into memory space on boot. If your install runs a check on boot and complains it is missing a library, just disable that check in the startup sequence.
Old 13 October 2023, 17:05   #129
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Sadly, this affects even common games like Mortal Kombat, Turrican 2+3, UFO, Stunt Car Racer, Final Fight, No Second Prize, and many others you most likely want to play (despite what the lazy compatibility list might say).
Dude. All of those are perfect on ps32lite with the RC Emu68. There's literal video footage of those being perfect. What are you on.
Edit: Anyone that wants to test can get the latest Emu68 from the discord: https://discord.gg/GW657CdJCf - RC2 due out any time now.

Last edited by Dunny; 13 October 2023 at 17:47.
Old 13 October 2023, 17:47   #130
mahen

@Dunny @derSammler : oh ? Really strange you get contradictory results.

@derSammler : can you give us an easily reproducible bug to check if the others have the same issues as you ?
Old 13 October 2023, 17:50   #131
Dunny

Quote:
@Dunny @derSammler : oh ? Really strange you get contradictory results.
He's not using the same Emu68 as the compatibility list is using; we're all on RC2 test builds atm. TomCat has been showing the games running fine on his stream.

I edited in a link to the discord where the new RC2 can be downloaded for testing in my previous post.
Old 14 October 2023, 14:10   #132
mahen

Ah indeed, a friend confirms a significant compatibility increase in the RC2 :-)
(He still has no luck with Reshoot-R but now R-Type 2 works like a charm)
Edit : Reshoot-R works with the WHDLoad slave

Last edited by mahen; 23 October 2023 at 15:31.
Old 23 October 2023, 15:30   #133
mahen

By any chance, has any of you considered writing a "generic" script that would be invoked in a global WHDLoad ExecuteStartup option which would check the name of the slave, and depending on it, summon EmuControl with different options ? (and revert them in ExecuteCleanup) ?

I'll definitely have a look at it if I manage to get enough time without kids interruptions !

What I did is adding ExecuteStartup & ExecuteCleanup for each game that needed it but obviously it's not a solution for those of you who have tons of games. I hand pick mine.

So far, I'm pretty satisfied -- 060 demos run like a charm, PC ports as well, and all games I wanted to play worked properly -- some of them needing EmuControl and/or other WHDLoad compatiblity options.

The only demo that I haven't got to work properly is "Rink a Dink Redux" -- too slow. I followed the options specified in the google doc.

Edit : Hunter is too slow, too

Last edited by mahen; 23 October 2023 at 15:52.
Old 23 October 2023, 17:03   #134
MartinW

Would be really good if there was a website that had a db of all games and demos with maintained settings. Some form of json export, or whatever format for those machines that are not online. I would think that ought to be reasonably doable
Old 23 October 2023, 22:46   #135
mja65

Quote:

By any chance, has any of you considered writing a "generic" script that would be invoked in a global WHDLoad ExecuteStartup option which would check the name of the slave, and depending on it, summon EmuControl with different options ? (and revert them in ExecuteCleanup) ?
WhdLOad has an ExecuteArgs tooltype where you can pass arguments to the WHDLoad script so you can already set up a script to individually pass different options for individual games. A few of us have already done it this way. It means you'd have to add a line like:

ExecuteArgs= Adjust ICNT 2 DBF TURBO ....

to every game that needs it.

Linking to the slave name rather than defining settings in the tooltype is more difficult because there is nowhere to identify the slave name without specifying it (at least noone has worked this out). Someone reached out to the WHDLoad developer to see if it could be added to WHDLoad but I understand the response wasn't favourable.

What this means is that to link the settings to the slave name you'd have to update every .info file on every game to add something to pass this to the WHDLoad script (e.g. ExecuteArgs=slavename Hybris).

Someone has built an AREXX script to do this and shared it on the Pistorm Discord as well as an example WHD Load script, I'm also trying something so it's definitely possible albeit still early days. This means you could have a seperate single file with all the different game names with the corresponding settings.
Old 24 October 2023, 01:30   #136
tomcat666
Retro Freak

We are working on a similar approach with a database file. Quite close to release...
Old 16 January 2024, 19:10   #137
LordCrass

Emu68 1.0RC3 is out now

https://github.com/michalsc/Emu68/re.../tag/v1.0-rc.3
Old 17 January 2024, 10:45   #138
mahen

Oh yeah !!

Did anyone test the new BlitWait option ? I have the feeling it might solve my (only) issue of speed inconsistencies in some demos (for ex., Electric Lifeforms). No access to it to test right now.

Also, I wonder if, thanks to this and some other EmuControl options, it is possible to set a "conservative slow mode" which would work with everything not requiring a fast CPU. In my experience, for the moment, required options differed depending on the title. Some options made some games too slow for instance.

I am so impressed by the fast improvements !! Thanks so much to all involved !