English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 12 April 2022, 06:01   #1
Luckarusky

Odds of Video Toaster or Alias Lightwave working on Amiga 500 Mini? WinUAE Perhaps?

The title says it all. I'm well aware the video toaster, it's hardware and genlock techniques where all built for the Amiga 2000 series. I have a little more hope for Alias Lightwave, a great grandfather among 3D tech. But being a CG artist, I'm fascinated by the idea of demonstrating those two breakthrough techs on something way less power consumptive and maintenance heavy.

WinUAE is also an option if it can work with a video capture usb on my netbook. Although I have my doubts, as Vid Toast used genlock to sync two VCR's as the foundation of it's image manipulation using so little ram. But there's no way I can justify getting and maintaining a full size Amiga 2000 with the full ram. So it's worth inquiring about alternatives for historical archiving purposes.

(I've already found plenty of instructional series on YouTube from it's time of actual use. So learning to use it isn't that hard. Getting it, or Alias Lightwave running on the Amiga OS, that's another matter!)
[ Show youtube player ]
I have better hopes of the mini or emulator handling Amiga Lightwave. That's software alone, with Toaster handling the actual transfer of rendered-data and bluescreen cutaways as with Babylon 5. Although I hope the mini because it is far more power efficient. This pursuit is a curiosity as I use modern tools (Maya and Blender) for serous work I intend to publish. But what artisan isn't fascinated by the history of their art?
[ Show youtube player ]

P.S. I do have more practical use for Svideo class VCR's as a way to transfer new video to older formats. So I would at least have the end-process hardware to pass-through in the analogue format. It's the genlock sync I'm less sure about.

Last edited by Luckarusky; 12 April 2022 at 17:39.
Old 12 April 2022, 06:50   #2
Matt_H

The Toaster is not yet emulated by any Amiga emulator, so a virtual Toaster environment isn’t possible (for now). It’s far more than a genlock, with heaps of custom chips and circuitry that would need to be decoded for emulation.

Lightwave should be doable, though. Early versions required the Toaster as a sort of dongle, but there are ways around that. No Toaster was necessary for later versions. As long as you can get the Mini to boot into a Workbench environment you should be able to run Lightwave.
Old 12 April 2022, 17:34   #3
Luckarusky

Ah fantastic! You know what, I'll take that for Lightwave. It might take awhile for the Mini to be modded to the point of booting into proper Amiga OS environments. (I.E. Instructions on how to do it.) But I can wait on that. Eyes out for Video Toaster emulation though. It would be cool to recreate that CRT scan interception method. It was a clever way of compositing before proper video buffers where practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
The Toaster is not yet emulated by any Amiga emulator, so a virtual Toaster environment isn’t possible (for now). It’s far more than a genlock, with heaps of custom chips and circuitry that would need to be decoded for emulation.

Lightwave should be doable, though. Early versions required the Toaster as a sort of dongle, but there are ways around that. No Toaster was necessary for later versions. As long as you can get the Mini to boot into a Workbench environment you should be able to run Lightwave.

Last edited by Luckarusky; 12 April 2022 at 17:48.