English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 July 2004, 15:17   #1
Unregistered

Weird Directory Problem?

I had a perfectly working WinUAE 8.27, AmigaOS 3.9,
that now refuses to load resource.library.

ie, apparently any Amiga program that needs that library either fails silently or fails with a message "cannot load resource.library v44".

However, resource.library is in Workbench:Libs, and reports v44.103.

Strangely, a "liblist" after attempting to run the program show resource.lib v44.103 has been loaded!

I've tried substituting an earlier resource.library, v44.102, and also a fresh copy of resource.library v44.102. I've tried deleting and recreating directory Libs entirely. I've checked the directory and files from the Windows side, and can't find anything suspicious w/r/t file attributes or anything.

Everything else under Amiga that does not use resource.library seems to be working except for a similar problem with "chooser.gadget". eg, ImageFx v4.1 displays a warning when loading "cannot load Gadgets/chooser.gadget - you should have this fine gadget", but loads anyway and runs fine without it. BUT,
Workbench:Classes/gadgets/chooser.gadget is there!

Anyone have any suggestions about what to do next? It may not be WinUAE, but The only things that have been changing, really, are the continuous Windows Updates that come down automatically from Microsoft so often.

Thanks,

Tom
tmb@virginia.edu

Old 14 July 2004, 15:25   #2
oldpx

I doubt it's winuae or anything in the windows side. It must be related to your workbench setup. Might you be missing assigns in startup-sequence?

Old 14 July 2004, 15:25   #3
thomas

Resource.library is the base library of ReAction. ReAction needs a lot of sub classes from Sys:Classes/Gadgets and Sys:Classes/Images. If one ore more of these sub classes have been replaced by invalid versions, opening of resource.library fails as well.

The most common reason for this is that you installed ClassAct on top of ReAction. ReAction is based on ClassAct, but you must not downgrade the sub classes with those from the ClassAct package.

What you can do is to replace the whole contents of sys:classes/gadgets by those files from the OS3.9 CD.

Another possible reason is that you installed OS3.9 with the CD mounted as a harddisk directory. As Windows shows all file names on the CD in upper case, AmigaOS gets confused about not finding several files which must have lower case names.
Old 15 July 2004, 14:52   #4
tbreeden

Thanks for the speedy and expert reply.

Everything in Classes was up-to-date except bevel.image,
which was a 1997 file.

I can't image how that one file got back revved, but replacing it with the v3.9 one did the trick!

Tom
tmb@virginia.edu

Old 18 June 2021, 13:58   #5
Ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Resource.library is the base library of ReAction. ReAction needs a lot of sub classes from Sys:Classes/Gadgets and Sys:Classes/Images. If one ore more of these sub classes have been replaced by invalid versions, opening of resource.library fails as well.

The most common reason for this is that you installed ClassAct on top of ReAction. ReAction is based on ClassAct, but you must not downgrade the sub classes with those from the ClassAct package.

What you can do is to replace the whole contents of sys:classes/gadgets by those files from the OS3.9 CD.

Another possible reason is that you installed OS3.9 with the CD mounted as a harddisk directory. As Windows shows all file names on the CD in upper case, AmigaOS gets confused about not finding several files which must have lower case names.
Thomas, a friend is having a similar problem, but he found he's getting some .class files copied, but with a different size, over sys:libs, and that's probably what's causing the malfunction. Several long-time Amiga users have told him the same, we've never seen that before, even suspected of a virus. Any hint on what could this be?

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

Edit: extra info: WB 3.2 on WinUAE. He says that it doesn't happen with 020 libraries, but it does with 040+ specific ones.

Edit 2: case closed. You won't believe it: he had a "Happy New Year 96" appending its payload to the file and writing it back to its place, but since the virus read it from LIBS: (sys:libs/classes is part of the path), when retunrning it "to place" the modified file ended in sys:libs, first ocurrence in the general LIBS: path. I had not seen a virus in Amiga for, I'd say, 20 years, maybe more, but now I can't wait to check my system with VirusZ III, hahahahaha

Last edited by Ferry; 18 June 2021 at 14:56. Reason: Cause and solution found
Old 18 June 2021, 16:02   #6
kriz

Virus still appears sometimes, check https://www.vht-dk.dk/amiga/news.htm for all news about that ... Btw: The 'SCA virus' is the first computer virus, created for the Commodore Amiga and one of the first to gain public notoriety. It first appeared in November 1987. -- I did not know that fact... https://www.vht-dk.dk/amiga/desc/txt/sca.htm