English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 25 April 2021, 12:06   #1
bikernutz

Smile Hello forum/board

Hi all,
Just joined the forum as a former Amiga owner.
A1000 fitted with home built Agnus and Kickstart boards, A500 with A570, Evesham micros SCSI controller, Power computing 68020 with 4MB
A500+ GVP SCSI Controller 340MB HDD GVP 286 Board, KCS Power PC Board, SCSI ZIP drive and Squirrel external SCSI CD-ROM/writer, Power computing HD floppy drive, three external floppies. Rocgen unit.
A600 with HDD
A1200 with HDD

Unfortunately the 600 and 1200 I gave away to a local charity shop about 2 years ago.
I recently pulled my 1000, 500, 500+ out of attic to find the motherboards tracks lifting/corroded away due to condensation so now no more working Amigas, though all the add on peripherals have survived in tact and I still have them to put in a real Amiga should I decide to do so.

I have been using FS-UAE on my Debian desktop for a few years and very recently winuae on my Windows desktop and a very old PC.

In the last month I started using an ancient home built Cyrix 933 system to image my old Amiga floppies and my 340MB SCSI drive from my GVP controller.
Hence why I joined the forum having found some useful information here and other sites. As well as finding some pitfalls and overcoming them by trial and error.

Such as Cyrix933 system will not install any version of Winuae even 1.5x It also wont install the latest Debian or Devuan with the Amiga SCSI drive connected. However, a P3/Celeron 1200 will at least install and run Winuae 2.x - slowly. On the same motherboard. ( Which doesnt support boot from USB)
The same system has two floppy drives used for backing up my Amigados disks and I am building the Adruino adapter to be able to make this easier, possibly a greaseweazle too at some point.
With XP, and MS-DOS set to multiboot, Plop boot manager installed and a DVD or USB pen installed Knoppix 9.1 I have been able to access all the data on my 340MB HDD that has 4 partitions set up 2 Amiga and one for the GVP286 board and one for the KCS Power PC board. All bar the KCS partition could be mounted and accessed via emulation. the KCS board wouldnt mount even using information found here and on other sites. However, using losetup and reading the partition using testdisk I can access all the data from this partition, including backups of my original MS-DOS 6 and Windows 3.0 disks bought new to use on the PC boards in my Amiga.So even without an original Amiga I can still enjoy using the Workbench and Amiga DOS software and if I can generate images of my original disks using a greaseweazle ultimately even play some of my old games that were on copy protected disks. Something to look forward to with my grandsons. So I definitely have a lot to thank this forum and other sites for in the information to allow me to resurrect a positive outlook after finding my remaining Amigas beyond economic repair in my attic.

Bikernutz
Old 03 May 2021, 01:38   #2
simonhez

welcome to the forum