Unreal

I heard that it is a very good game
is it really so good ?
if so -> where can I download it ?

Thanks in advance
Old 29 May 2001, 13:09   #2
Tim Janssen

Unreal is a graphic feast

Unreal is a great game programmed by Belgian Appeal Software who also brought us No Never Outside, Iron Lord and Agony on Amiga and No Respect & Outcast on PC.

The game is divided in two parts: In the odd levels you fly on the back of a red dragon. It is a 3D into-the-screen type affair. In other levels the game turns into a side-scrolling beat'em-up/ platform game with beautiful graphics and sounds.
I was always very fond of this game. Pity the disc it came on went corrupt.

On this site you can download Unreal for emulator. I do not know whether this version works, though.
Old 29 May 2001, 17:56   #3
Amiga1992

This is a good case of complete eyecandy... The game was not as good as it looked, really, just as Agony was an okayish (tending to be below average) game, while it looked completely amazing.

It's worth a look, however, I do nto know if it works in any emu. I Couldn't get it to work.
Old 30 May 2001, 07:55   #4
Tim Janssen

About "No Never Outside"

No Never Outside (NNO) is a text adventure with nice graphics programmed somewhere in 1987. I do not exactly know what the game is about.
In the Dutch/Belgian magazine PC Gameplay of August 1997 I read an interview with Appeal Software. The programmers mentioned NNO was their first commercial game written for both C64 and Amiga.
I have played NNO only on C64, though. The game came on 4 C64 floppies and is a pain to load on C64 emulators.
Old 30 May 2001, 14:37   #5
Jambo
Yarr!

Location: n. A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Unreal

Unreal can be downloaded as a HD-Upgrade for Amiga in a Box.

You'll need to download AIAB, get a wb 3.x disk and a kick 3.x rom, then get unreal off the downloads page
Old 30 May 2001, 19:16   #6
ilm
Zone Friend

Send a message via AIM to ilm Send a message via Yahoo to ilm
seems there is a crc error in the zip file from Amiga in a box (the init file)
Old 01 June 2001, 11:33   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

No Never Outside

Tim...back to NNO again. Do you know who published the game? Was it in English?

As for Agony (the Psygnosis one, I assume you mean), I thought that game was developed by Art & Magic. Are you sure they did the Amiga version of this game?
Old 01 June 2001, 12:00   #8
Tim Janssen

Appeal Company Profile

I have just found the Appeal Company Profile.
To my horror I just have discovered No, Never Outside was only published on C64 by Lankhor . The game is in English, though.

Art & Magic is one of the names they have used. Under this name they published many games in the Arcades which looked very, very Amiga-esque. Me and my friends were always saying there was an Amiga hidden in the Arcade Cabinet. I am lucky that I have played their games Spellsinger and Western Shooting in the Arcades. -Great fun!
Old 01 June 2001, 12:17   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Never Say NNO

OK, I am answering my own question(s) here:

The actual full title is "No (Never Outside!)" and was published in 1989 by Lankhor. But on the Amiga? Maybe not. This info I found on the Lankhor web site www.lankhor.com - but delving deeper to the Appeal web site www.appeal.be indicates that they developed the C64 version only, followed by the Amiga version of "Iron Lord" (converted from the C64), then Unreal, and finally Agony.

As for the Art & Magic question, the Appeal team formed in 1992 Art & Magic for the purpose of developing coin-op arcade games, so while there is a pointer to them, it doesn't appear that Agony was developed under that moniker. The Art & Magic site is at www.art-magic.be

The puzzling thing for me is that they claim to have formed in the summer of '95. So I have to assume that they were not a 'named' team back then. They're not listed on the credits for "Iron Lord", "Unreal" I haven't been able to emulate (I could try harder...) and likewise for "Agony" (I am lazy with Amiga emulators).

Removed screenshot

Last edited by Ian; 27 October 2001 at 01:24.
Old 01 June 2001, 12:19   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Hehehe...I guess you were replying while I was replying and you beat me to the punch!
Old 01 June 2001, 13:09   #11
Mangar
Got the fever back

Art & Magic are indeed listed as the developers in Agony. Dunno about the others tho
Old 01 June 2001, 18:23   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

A&M

Well, I knew I had them listed in my database as the team for that game, but couldn't get it booted in emulation to verify. Interesting that their site doesn't address this curious crossover. My guess is they used the name, expecting it to represent their game dev team, then a year later, moved on to the coin-op thing and kept the name for that project.
Old 01 June 2001, 18:49   #13
Mangar
Got the fever back

agony works fine with winfellow.. the HD version also works fine in winuae.. I believe the cracktro is the culprit with the adf version
Old 21 June 2001, 06:52   #14
Warlock99
Webmaster of AmigaRarities

Outcast

Just wanted to say Outcast is great! I know it's a pc games, but it's just so ambitious and totally immersive. Loved that game: )

It's one of those games that just grabs you and won't let you go until you've finished it. I Lived that game when I bought it for a couple of weeks (in fact I didn't want to finish it, it was like living another life). (http://www.outcast-game.com/)

It's one of the few pc games that I actually rushed out and bought when it was released. Can't wait for outcast 2! (http://www.outcastii.net/).

Sorry, couldn't resist that! No, I don't work for infogrames.

[akira] I changed the URL, it was wrong [/akira]

Last edited by Amiga1992; 21 June 2001 at 17:24.
Old 21 June 2001, 09:45   #15
icycool
Banned

Unreal was published by UBISoft, i don't know about the Belgian bit tho ;p.. Also, i thought the dragon sequence was very well programmed, and no at all dodgy as most people seem to think.
Old 21 June 2001, 17:54   #16
Amiga1992

Oi, Tim! How come you played Spellsinger, when Art and Magic claim that teh game was NEVER released?

Quote:
this heroic-fantasy game never came out ! However, the extreme beauty of the backgrounds and the quality of its design are quite interesting, even today four years after
http://www.art-magic.be/spell.htm

Either you are confusing the names, or you are one mad pir8
Old 22 June 2001, 10:18   #17
Tim Janssen

Hooooo I am quite sure about Spellsinger

Akira, I am really puzzled..
I was (and I am still) quite sure I have played this game by Art & Magic in 1995 in the arcades. It was a cross between a shmup and platform game, looked very Manga-like and featured many 'underwater' levels. It was also difficult to play. -I soon lost my interest in it. I am 100% sure the game featured the Art & Magic logo and the screenshots of Spellsinger look most like how I remember the game.
Old 22 June 2001, 16:24   #18
MethodGit

Lightbulb You want to look at the arcade version?

It doesn't appear to be emulatable in MAME yet, but why don't you try the message boards at Mame.net and ask them if they could try and find the game and "MAMEitise" it?

I'm not sure if there are small sites talking about the arcade game that exist though. You could try searching for one on Yahoo or Google etc. or something...
Old 22 June 2001, 18:40   #19
Amiga1992

The KLOV (Killer List of Videogames) should have an entry for the A&M games. Now what was the URL? :P Duh, easy one:

http://www.klov.com/

They DON'T have an enrty for the game. Let's try another game, like their supposedly popular Tennis....

Yep, Ultimate Tennis appears. Here's info:

http://www.klov.com/U/Ultimate_Tennis.html

Stoneball, Western Shooting and Spellsinger do not have entries in the database. This does not mean they don't exist, though.

Cheese Chase and Ultimate Tennis do appear.

Being that they developed their very own arcade hardware, i doubt it's emulated in MAME, or if it will be. Seems to be obscure. I will ask them about how the hardware is, I'm interested. It could be some Amiga crossbreed as you always thought, Tim. I bet that, at least, it will have a 680x0 processor.

Oh well, I'll try to contact these guys. Rare games are what I like
Old 27 September 2001, 19:39   #20
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Twist and anyone else: I have to ask if you still have problems with Unreal or Agony. Have youse been able to emulate them? I have installed Unreal on my WinUAE HD, so if you want, I'll post it and the config. It works perfecly. As for Agony, Akira, it is not just eye candy. True, it breaks no new ground...but ever play a shooter, and it feels..losse? Controls, orientation..those are essential factors in th playing of any shooter. Agony addresses this very well. And it works under OCS 13 config found at BTTR. Both games are fine under 8.14r3.