English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 June 2009, 06:17   #1
Hobbe

The definite guide to using a button instead of UP for jumping in WinUAE

Exactly what the title states, no more, no less. Answer first, ask later, thanks

Last edited by Hobbe; 14 June 2009 at 10:14.
Old 14 June 2009, 08:05   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Er... okay...
I guess you want to create a 'default.uae' configuration in which you select a different gamepad/joystick and save that. Now WinUAE would use that one instead of the one you want to ignore.
Maybe you should really explain what is going on at your side a bit more
Old 14 June 2009, 08:32   #3
Hobbe

Not even close

Here's the deal. A lot of platformers out there do not allow you to set buttons for jumping, and to the best of my knowledge, you can't force this from WinUAE either.

I use a nice application called Xpadder for assigning keyboard keys to the buttons, analog sticks and pov's in my gamepad.

Ideally one would select a keyboard layout from "Game ports" and set up Xpadder for the chosen set of keys, but Port 1 automatically switches back to gamepad mode as soon as a button is pressed and I can't seem to keep WinUAE from doing so.

Maybe I'm just picky, but a gamepad isn't a joystick, jumping with your thumb is most uncomfortable
Old 14 June 2009, 08:56   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbe View Post
Here's the deal. A lot of platformers out there do not allow you to set buttons for jumping, and to the best of my knowledge, you can't force this from WinUAE either.
Of course there is The input panel allows you to map any input source to any emulated action. So you can easily map you gamepad button to 'Joy2 up' as an example Go to the inout panel, choose 'Configuration #1' and your gamepad. Now comes the 'bit tricky' part Set 'Y axis' to none, scroll down, assign 'Y Axis [+]' to 'Joy1 down' and your button to 'Joy1 up' (maybe you need to choose Joy2). Not tested here yet, but would if you really can't get it to work.

Edit : Correct the Y Axis mapping thanks to Hobbe.

Last edited by TCD; 14 June 2009 at 09:59.
Old 14 June 2009, 09:56   #5
Hobbe

F..k me it works, thanks a bunch and how could I possibly overlook this for so long?

Also, "Joy1 Down" has to be set for "Y Axis [+]" not "Y Axis [-]" just thought I'd mention that for anyone who may experience this problem in the future
Old 14 June 2009, 09:58   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yippie Wasn't too sure about the [+] or [-] part, but good to hear it works now

Edit : Maybe this thread should be renamed. Something like 'The definite guide to using a button instead of up for jumping in WinUAE'

Last edited by TCD; 14 June 2009 at 10:04.
Old 14 June 2009, 10:18   #7
Hobbe

Done but for some reason it added a sort of subtitle instead of changing the actual title that people will read outside the thread.
Old 14 June 2009, 10:20   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Cheers Hobbe We need a mod to change the thread title. Let's see if it will be changed
Old 14 June 2009, 11:16   #9
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
F..k me it works, thanks a bunch and how could I possibly overlook this for so long?
Possibly because it's by far not as self-explanatory as it looks.
Thanks TCD, I too have never fiddled with this ever, because I just didn't find the time to actually delve into...and no, I wasn't too keen on "trial & error". (Think about MISCONFIGURING this and your game character running amok!! That's why I've preferred to leave it in standard setting...)
Old 14 June 2009, 11:33   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well, I never did this myself yet tbh It's just knowing what the input panel is capable of and looking up the right mapping (almost ) for the wanted effect. It's not as complicated as it looks, once you know how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
(Think about MISCONFIGURING this and your game character running amok!! That's why I've preferred to leave it in standard setting...)
OMG! You actually might have to restart the game (sorry, couldn't resist )
Old 18 June 2009, 16:29   #11
Photon

Quote:
Not even close

I use a nice application called Xpadder for assigning keyboard keys to the buttons, analog sticks and pov's in my gamepad.

Ideally one would select a keyboard layout from "Game ports" and set up Xpadder for the chosen set of keys, but Port 1 automatically switches back to gamepad mode as soon as a button is pressed and I can't seem to keep WinUAE from doing so.

Maybe I'm just picky, but a gamepad isn't a joystick, jumping with your thumb is most uncomfortable
Up as jump is

So you're not picky, you're sane.
Old 18 June 2009, 16:52   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Up as jump is
Blasphemy! Burn the witch!
Old 18 June 2009, 16:57   #13
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Well, d-pad UP is indeed .

Old 18 June 2009, 19:58   #14
Photon

Well, the reason was ofc that most computers didn't have two fire button inputs (MSX, Amiga etc are exceptions) - so joystick makers, with a few exceptions, made single firebutton joysticks ONLY. Sometimes the suckers had two buttons on the base, one index finger trigger, and one thumb button, all connected to the same fire button!! Not just mad, but silly mad.

That was then, this is now. Solder a button to the up direction on your joystick, or do the same in WinUAE, and have fun

Up as jump is "kind of" logical (even though using UP to climb ladders ONLY is more logical, and using UP to open doors is less logical!), however timing jumps are a mofo on all joysticks. Well, a jump button is also logical, and makes all platformers what they 'wannabe' - Super Mario.
Old 18 June 2009, 21:28   #15
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i hate platformers like Mario, and still love using up to jump in the platformers i do like.

However, i also believe in freedom of choice, and I wouldnt call anyone who prefer's either method insane ... its just what the player prefers and feels they have more control with.

In my case, i dont like having to move my right thumb to another position that should be firing, when a flick of the left-thumb i find easier.

Giving everyone a choice either way, either by using an emulator, or by adding the required patch via WHDload, is surely the future.

lets get over the judgement thing on this. There is no right or wrong way. Just opinion and preference.