English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 29 March 2023, 11:20   #1
amicat

Fullscreen sound not working over HDMI, coming over internal speaker instead

I’m currently setting up a Kodi on HP Prodesk 600 g4 mini and one of the functions I’ll be using it for is to emulate Amiga games using FS-UAE as an external emulator. Of course these things never go smoothly and I have come across a problem that I can’t work out why it is happening or am I able to fix it.

The HP Prodesk contains an intel integrated GPU, onboard Synaptics HD audio, and an internal speaker. I am connecting the computer to my TV with a HDMI cable, which changes the Synaptics audio to Realtek (I think) audio over the HDMI cable.

My problem is that I want to run the games in fullscreen mode rather than a window, but when I run a game in fullscreen I get no sound over the HDMI, instead I can hear the sound over the HP’s internal speaker. This does not happen when FSUAE is in window mode, the sound works perfectly then.

Does anyone know why this happens and is there a way to force the sound over the HDMI when in full screen mode?

I’ve poured many hours over searching the internet and the only solution I could find/understand was to run FSUAE in fullscreen window mode. However, I’ve had some difficulty with this, it seems that putting fullscreen_mode = fullscreen-window in the config file does absolutely nothing. Does anyone know why this isn’t working?

Another option was to set the window width and height to the TVs resolution. This does seem to work but I don’t think it is ideal as the windows taskbar is now visible. Therefore, I think the ideal solution is to force audio over HDMI while in real fullscreen somehow. Is there anyway to do this?
Old 29 March 2023, 11:44   #2
vk3heg

try:

fullscreen_mode=window
Old 29 March 2023, 12:09   #3
amicat

I think I did try that one and it didn't work. I'll try it again tomorrow though just in case.
Old 30 March 2023, 05:34   #4
giantclam

Quote:
This does seem to work but I don’t think it is ideal as the windows taskbar is now visible.
Umm.... just to be clear ~ your host OS is windows, and you're running the windows port of FS-UAE?

I need ask that, as I'm building a (linux based) emulator system on a HP Elitedesk 800 G1 USDT, and although it's a different machine makeup, it's close enough to overlay some things.. some linux things, to explain what HP have done...this time...

...for a start, sometime after linux-6.1.7 the snd_hda_intel module was patched, so the device indexing was more correct on intel Q87 chipset / realtek audio codecs. I would imagine the HP windows drivers get this 'right' out of the box....but with your HP board...

...the linux version of what you're facing, at a hunch is akin to this thread which manifests the same symptoms -> https://forum.manjaro.org/t/intel-ca...layport/133494

...it will be something like that, right down to which BIOS version the HP board is running. (they are truly ugly things at a proprietary level =) ... or ... I'm suggesting this may not be fs-uae's problem perse ...and of course, you're right -- it should just work easypeasy.

On the HP 800 G1 , primary audio is HDA Intel PCH with Realtek ALC221 codec, and the HDMI audio bridge is Intel Haswell (cpu block), but that interface is just an audio data passthru/tap, which is provided by the primary audio driver.

I'm saying all this, well aware I've yet to test the DisplayPort to HDMI cable (that should arrive here soon), and plugging both the Dell & HP thin client boxes into the teevee here, to see if big screen Amiga gaming ..with sound ..works over HDMI...on linux with fs-uae - I'll let you know =)
Old 30 March 2023, 12:31   #5
amicat

Interesting. Didn't get anytime to play around today but I was going to give WinUAE a try and see if there was any difference but perhaps there is more to it like you state.

Definitely keen to hear what happens on your end.

You guessed right btw, windows 10 install.
Old 30 March 2023, 15:21   #6
giantclam

Cool bananas ... definitely worth giving winuae a shot, to see if it runs into the same trouble ..ie; if it doesn't, that suggests it is indeed a fs-uae bug of some sort.

I'll keep you posted about what happens with the DP ports (no dedicated HDMI port like yours =), as I stumbled across an old thread claiming 'some' HP business machines with like 2 x DP + 1 VGA and/or HDMI ports, don't have the audio routed to all the display ports at all...which kinda makes sense from a user's standpoint using a workstation with 3 displays 8) Bit like that Frank Zappa line ...'and they danced with depraved abandonment around a 6foot high pile of transistor radios, each one tuned to a different station' .... =)
Old 31 March 2023, 12:43   #7
amicat

I just tried winuae and it works.

Winuae gives the option of using 4 different drivers with default being WASAPI and when using that it allows you to select which device you would like to use, eg TV or the Synaptics sound. Switching between these devices while the emulation is running works fine switching the sound without issue. So my thoughts are that the sound driver is the issue.

As far as I can tell FS-UAE does not use WASAPI it uses OpenAL. Winuae also has the option to use OpenAL as well and when I tried it I could no longer select the audio device and the sound would only come out of the Synaptics device. I didn't try this in window mode though only fullscreen.

So I guess what needs to be done is to select the correct audio device in the OpenAL settings, somehow. this page https://fs-uae.net/audio has some info on it and a config file.

I think the device can be changed using that, line 444 maybe, but I have no idea what the device name would be to write in there. Is there some way OpenAL can detect them? any ideas anyone?.
Old 31 March 2023, 12:45   #8
amicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantclam View Post
Cool bananas ... definitely worth giving winuae a shot, to see if it runs into the same trouble ..ie; if it doesn't, that suggests it is indeed a fs-uae bug of some sort.

I'll keep you posted about what happens with the DP ports (no dedicated HDMI port like yours =), as I stumbled across an old thread claiming 'some' HP business machines with like 2 x DP + 1 VGA and/or HDMI ports, don't have the audio routed to all the display ports at all...which kinda makes sense from a user's standpoint using a workstation with 3 displays 8) Bit like that Frank Zappa line ...'and they danced with depraved abandonment around a 6foot high pile of transistor radios, each one tuned to a different station' .... =)

My HP uses flex ports https://www.hp.com/au-en/shop/hp-ser...2-13l56aa.html (v1 for me though) they have lots of different outputs to choose from.
Old 01 April 2023, 01:42   #9
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicat View Post
I just tried winuae and it works.

Winuae gives the option of using 4 different drivers with default being WASAPI and when using that it allows you to select which device you would like to use, eg TV or the Synaptics sound. Switching between these devices while the emulation is running works fine switching the sound without issue. So my thoughts are that the sound driver is the issue.

As far as I can tell FS-UAE does not use WASAPI it uses OpenAL. Winuae also has the option to use OpenAL as well and when I tried it I could no longer select the audio device and the sound would only come out of the Synaptics device. I didn't try this in window mode though only fullscreen.

So I guess what needs to be done is to select the correct audio device in the OpenAL settings, somehow. this page https://fs-uae.net/audio has some info on it and a config file.

I think the device can be changed using that, line 444 maybe, but I have no idea what the device name would be to write in there. Is there some way OpenAL can detect them? any ideas anyone?.

Makes sense wasapi works (it is winuae after all =) ...that's why I was kinda surprised you were using fs-uae actually.

Not sure of openal in windows (I don't use it) ... in linux you have the 'openal-info' command to query it...

root [ /usr/local/src/openal-soft/build ]# openal-info
Available playback devices:
ALSA Default
HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 0 (CARD=HDMI,DEV=3)
HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 1 (CARD=HDMI,DEV=7)
HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 2 (CARD=HDMI,DEV=8)
HDA Intel PCH, ALC221 Analog (CARD=PCH,DEV=0)
Available capture devices:
ALSA Default
HDA Intel PCH, ALC221 Analog (CARD=PCH,DEV=0)
HDA Intel PCH, ALC221 Alt Analog (CARD=PCH,DEV=2)
Default playback device: ALSA Default
Default capture device: ALSA Default
ALC version: 1.1

You're probably better off using winuae in windows anyhow =)
Old 01 April 2023, 03:55   #10
amicat

Fs-UAE has the f12 menu screen, with the swap disks, controllers, save states etc. I find this to be particularly useful/convienient when sitting at the TV. Which is why I would like to use this over winuae.

Thing is though FS-UAE uses the intel sound over HDMI perfectly well, it's just that it only does it in a window and when switched to fullscreen it changes the sound device. This seems like something that should be able to be fixed easily enough.

Nothing is ever easy I guess.
Old 01 April 2023, 05:51   #11
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicat View Post
Fs-UAE has the f12 menu screen, with the swap disks, controllers, save states etc. I find this to be particularly useful/convienient when sitting at the TV. Which is why I would like to use this over winuae.

Thing is though FS-UAE uses the intel sound over HDMI perfectly well, it's just that it only does it in a window and when switched to fullscreen it changes the sound device. This seems like something that should be able to be fixed easily enough.

Nothing is ever easy I guess.

M'kay, that's a fair point ~ amiberry is setup the same with F12 toggle to config GUI interface, where you can do inane things like hotswap the cpu core emulation from 68K to '030 ..and resume (crash, burn, seg_fault =) ...great fun....but yeah, +1 on that feature, and I'm kinda wondering why winuae can't do similar...(strikes me as odd, just because it IS such a useful feature =)

Ummm....define 'it' ...ie; "it only does it in a window and when switched to fullscreen it changes the sound device" .... <grin> .. more likely it is, fs-uae is hooking to the primary (system default) audio device, but when you goto fullscreen, 'something' is toggling to the other audio path... which fs-uae knows nothing about (this is why you still hear audio over the speaker =)

..umm...according to the HP website, your machine should have a Conexant CX20632 audio chipset (driving the speaker/audio ports), but that doesn't mean a lot 'coz like the Dell & HP 'business' class thin clients here, each model came in at least 17 different customizable flavors... might be worth having a look in windows device mangler, to see what the audio/video device layout looks like.

Either way, when the cable gets here I can get real close to trying to replicate what you're seeing..albeit on linux & HD4600 graphics not UHD630 ... I might have a poke around with another (what would be tertiary) sound device (USB headphones), and just check fs-uae-launcher gets everything right using vga port (that'll be on the Dell 9020, it has onboard amp & speaker)...ie; if you're piping audio/video from DP to HDMI device, what does the machine do next wrt speaker audio?... I'll let you know =)
Old 01 April 2023, 06:15   #12
amicat

Quote:
M'kay, that's a fair point ~ amiberry is setup the same with F12 toggle to config GUI interface, where you can do inane things like hotswap the cpu core emulation from 68K to '030 ..and resume (crash, burn, seg_fault =) ...great fun....but yeah, +1 on that feature, and I'm kinda wondering why winuae can't do similar...(strikes me as odd, just because it IS such a useful feature =)
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Ummm....define 'it' ...ie; "it only does it in a window and when switched to fullscreen it changes the sound device" .... <grin> .. more likely it is, fs-uae is hooking to the primary (system default) audio device, but when you goto fullscreen, 'something' is toggling to the other audio path... which fs-uae knows nothing about (this is why you still hear audio over the speaker =)
Yeah much more likely I think, winuae just has the benefit of allowing one to manually force the correct option.

Quote:
..umm...according to the HP website, your machine should have a Conexant CX20632 audio chipset (driving the speaker/audio ports), but that doesn't mean a lot 'coz like the Dell & HP 'business' class thin clients here, each model came in at least 17 different customizable flavors... might be worth having a look in windows device mangler, to see what the audio/video device layout looks like.
I can see the Conexant on the computer specs but the device manager has the Synaptics HD audio as the driver. drivers are here https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...ni-pc/21341202

Quote:
Either way, when the cable gets here I can get real close to trying to replicate what you're seeing..albeit on linux & HD4600 graphics not UHD630 ... I might have a poke around with another (what would be tertiary) sound device (USB headphones), and just check fs-uae-launcher gets everything right using vga port (that'll be on the Dell 9020, it has onboard amp & speaker)...ie; if you're piping audio/video from DP to HDMI device, what does the machine do next wrt speaker audio?... I'll let you know =)
Would be good to know how it goes for you. DP to HDMI is no difference for me, I tried that this morning.

Thinking of just going ahead with running it in window mode. With the correct settings it takes up the full screen, border is hidden,and the only thing I can see from the taskbar (when it is hidden) is a 1 pixel high small grey line at the very bottom, so no big deal. There is also one benefit to a window as well, for some reason Battle Chess works far smoother in a window where as in fullscreen it is kind of laggy. There might be some other games that are the same.

Would be nice to get to the bottom of it though.
Old 01 April 2023, 09:20   #13
giantclam

Yeah... that'll happen, it's just a measure of time....

...I had a poke at this on the optiplex as said -- plugin USB headphone dongle, get ...

Code:
root [ ~ ]# openal-info
Available playback devices:
    ALSA Default
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC3220 Analog (CARD=PCH,DEV=0)
    HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 0 (CARD=HDMI,DEV=3)
    HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 1 (CARD=HDMI,DEV=7)
    HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 2 (CARD=HDMI,DEV=8)
    USB Audio Device, USB Audio (CARD=Device,DEV=0)
Available capture devices:
    ALSA Default
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC3220 Analog (CARD=PCH,DEV=0)
    USB Audio Device, USB Audio (CARD=Device,DEV=0)
Default playback device: ALSA Default
Default capture device: ALSA Default
...err...'ALSA Default' is aka system default.

In my linux instance, I just wanna run fs-uae and have the audio pipe to the USB audio device -- nothing presented in the fs-uae-launcher GUI seems to help me, so as suggested one has to steer openal to the required device....

Check this file - https://repo.or.cz/w/openal-soft.git...lsoftrc.sample

...you can search for 'ALSA' and find the global options I'd need change, to pipe the audio to the USB sound device (I'd actually use 'plughw' so device can be unplugged and system fall back to default)... but in the more usual GUI context, the choice of audio playback devices appears as a dropdown menu selector... the way it is now is not particularly user friendly (weighed against some reality of how many ppl out there want to plugin USB sound devices as their fs-uae sound output device? =)

...I see further on in the config file, JACK has some good support ... dunno if it'd help, but maybe installing JACK for windows (and finding the equivalent openal config/registry key) might kludge around the issue?
https://jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html
Old 03 April 2023, 10:59   #14
giantclam

DP -> HDMI cable turned up today...

Couldn't get audio to hit HDMI at all ~ sound always active on HP800 G1's speaker.

I'll drag the Dell 9020usff into the room with the teevee, and see if there's any change.
Old 03 April 2023, 14:07   #15
amicat

Yeah Jack looks like a possiblity, but I won't worry about fiddling around with that as I've invested too much time already. Still hoping for just an easy fix to pop up somehow. Doesn't matter though either way really, what I'm doing now is good enough.

Sucks about the DP > HDMI. Waiting to hear about the Dell.
Old 04 April 2023, 01:59   #16
giantclam

Yeah, I'll do da' dell today sometime ~ I have to redo the HP test as well, as latterly (after the test) I discovered the 800-G1 bios actually has a switch to turn on/off in the internal speaker, and that may be trumping the audio routing...

...also, being mindful that you're on windows, I stumbled across this thread, which gives a bit of insight -> https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=2082409

Good to hear you've got something working ~ I'm not too troubled by this in linux, as I can always use a 3.5mm audio patch cable as a means to an end, but, it'd be notionally better to use a single HDMI cable =)
Old 05 April 2023, 12:21   #17
giantclam

M'kay...the Dell 9020USFF does exactly the same thing ~ no audio routing to HDMI at all AFAICT (which means I only tried amiberry/fs-uae and not any other linux apps, 'coz I'm building a linux based emulator, not a full desktop system =)

I haven't retested the HP800-G1 yet, but I'll get there .... in the meanwhile... back in linuxland...

HP Prodesk G4 DM --> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=270523

I just picked out that one, as being closely related to your chipset... but I quickly point out, that it's one of more than several threads of like kind, that all point back to BIOS version being participle. This is what I believe too after doing quite a slice of debug/testing ~ at the kernel/software layers, all seems correct and theoretically it should work ; it doesn't ; I suspect bios immediately ~ I had a similar thing happen trying to get FBdev to work on the Eden board ; got nowhere until a VIA tech sent me a beta bios (for linux), and hey presto everything worked after flashing to that bios...(hours & hours of my time lost =)

That said, in linux one is used to this sort of audio BS with HDaudio .. been going on for yonks, but you're on Windows and one would think the going to be better ; winuae's compliance with wasapi goes a long way towards proving that, yeah?

...as far as fs-uae is concerned, this is an underlying audio layer thing ; seeing as audio is piped through openal , it's openal's problem ..so to speak =) Over on openal github page, the author says the wasapi driver is just a 'copy' of the mmdevapi ( https://github.com/kcat/openal-soft/issues/163) , and the fact it's only doing it fullscreen for you, makes it curious wrt what's going on...ie; is openal losing the plot on screenmode switching or not.

....myself (or 'us linux users') seem fated with a different bent -- getting alsa audio to HDMI -at-all- seems the first hurdle. and in that regard I cannot blame fs-uae for not doing something, the audio drivers can't do in the first place =) ...and like, maybe YMMV depending on hardware...ie; something other than intel igpu for example.

I'll plug the HP back into the teevee later, just to check what 'speaker off' in bios actually does IRL...

edit: Forgot to mention (but a little OT here)... with the Dell, I think I'm stuck here -> https://www.dell.com/community/Optip...i/td-p/7484549 ...ie; not all models had audio routed to DP (waiting to see if dell_support get back to me on that one against their part# IDs)

Last edited by giantclam; 06 April 2023 at 05:03.