English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 05 July 2020, 12:32   #2521
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoHippie2016 View Post
So sad! Alone when I think about how many hours I spent uploading everything so that everyone had access to my originals. And I had NOT uploaded Workbench or APC & TCP stuff!

I'm only hosting the FTP and coming up with technical solutions which I know are plausible, not taking any administrative decisions, but would you not agree that its better and easier for people to find stuff they are looking for if they are moved out of some random user folder (there are hundreds) and put in the general structure of the site?
If so, just log on and make a post of what files, in your personal upload folder, should go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Not understanding the upload folders not being available to anyone, so what was the point in going through all the files and deleting numerous files, why not just stop access to the upload folders in the first place if this is the end result!?
I am in the process of restoring all users folders as they were before the cleanup due to this decission. As I understand it, most of the cleaning was done in the general structure of the site anyway, but I could be wrong as I was not involved in that process.
I have also restored the "Collection" folder in the root, containing the BBS collections etc, as I was requested to do so.

There is also a backup of the "cleaned" user folders that I'll keep for a few days, in case anything drastically changes.

As it stands now, some moderator will need to take a more active stance towards keeping the FTP clean and taking care of move requests from the users folders, as they come in.

Last edited by Turran; 05 July 2020 at 12:49.
Old 05 July 2020, 13:49   #2522
NeoHippie2016
Freak

The folder, who i uploaded iso images, that needed an whdl install, can be deleted. The images can anyone find in TOSEC, i think.
Old 05 July 2020, 15:57   #2523
Fabbry
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Fabbry Send a message via AIM to Fabbry Send a message via Yahoo to Fabbry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
I'm only hosting the FTP and coming up with technical solutions which I know are plausible, not taking any administrative decisions, but would you not agree that its better and easier for people to find stuff they are looking for if they are moved out of some random user folder (there are hundreds) and put in the general structure of the site?
If so, just log on and make a post of what files, in your personal upload folder, should go.

I am in the process of restoring all users folders as they were before the cleanup due to this decission. As I understand it, most of the cleaning was done in the general structure of the site anyway, but I could be wrong as I was not involved in that process.
I have also restored the "Collection" folder in the root, containing the BBS collections etc, as I was requested to do so.

There is also a backup of the "cleaned" user folders that I'll keep for a few days, in case anything drastically changes.

As it stands now, some moderator will need to take a more active stance towards keeping the FTP clean and taking care of move requests from the users folders, as they come in.

Right You're perfectly right... A clean structure is the best solution ...
But on the other side it's a shame clean and lose material
This require user's responsability and help checking what's already online!!!!

In my little I can make donation recurring monthly, and offer me as an maintainer stuff...

Im available.....

Bye bye Fabrizio
Old 05 July 2020, 18:49   #2524
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

So for stuff in our upload folders, how should we suggest what files should be moved to the public space and to where in particular? I plan to reupload the CD of Fred Fish disks I have, and I know what directory it should be placed in.
Old 05 July 2020, 18:56   #2525
Turran

Since I won't be doing the sorting, I'll leave those questions to the mods =)
Old 05 July 2020, 19:53   #2526
mai

So, who is responsible for the FTP now,
to whom should I report illegal files?
Old 05 July 2020, 20:15   #2527
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
So, who is responsible for the FTP now,
to whom should I report illegal files?

Any of the GMs
Old 05 July 2020, 20:22   #2528
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
Any of the GMs
Really, each single GM has permissions to delete files on EAB FTP?
...but i suppose either you or Ian!
Old 05 July 2020, 20:33   #2529
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
Really, each single GM has permissions to delete files on EAB FTP?
...but i suppose either you or Ian!
We aren't continuing down this road. Everyone mucks in as their time allows, just so happens Bippy was off work for a while, and I'm currently "Working" from home so have a considerable amount of time on my hands, so along with DamienD we did our best with the FTP.

All reports will be generously received, though so thanks in advance for anyone that reports something. With many unnamed resources on there, it's an impossible task to get all files.

I am sure Turran could implement a feature that bans the CRCs of kickstart images etc. but this won't catch ADF's with kickstarts files on.
Old 05 July 2020, 21:18   #2530
BippyM
Global Moderator

Like Ian has sdaid, I was off work for a while (furlough), but I am now back at work and working 50+ hrs per week, along with managing a family (and a newborn baby very soon)..

We will do our best to maintain things, but lets not take away the amount of work DamienD did... We are not giving that much time and effort to a forum, and nobody ever should!

Enjoy the FTP guys, and if any of you are unsure on what is safe to upload, drop one of us a PM
Old 05 July 2020, 23:17   #2531
manossg

Good to have the FTP back, thanx for all the hard work, guys!
Old 06 July 2020, 08:51   #2532
HOL2001
Amigamaniac

Many thanks for all your efforts!
Good to see that the FTP is back!
Old 06 July 2020, 11:13   #2533
NLS
Ancient User

1) Thanks for all the effort.

2) Sad about the limitations and deletions (AND how this whole thing started).

3) Even more sad about this whole "reporting" thing, in the community. EAB used to be more friendly (not talking about mods/admins, talking about the whole environment and users).

4) A nice side-effect (the only one) is that probably the FTP is more organized.

5) I'd like to ask about the current size of the contents of the FTP and the "pre-obliteration" size.

Thanks.
Old 06 July 2020, 12:08   #2534
Aladin

Thank you for the work done

Last edited by Aladin; 07 July 2020 at 12:03.
Old 06 July 2020, 13:26   #2535
Turran

Google drive link back. It has not synced everything yet but I'll open it early.

Give it a few days to sync over everything.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...XRvNkVOelNNRk0

Now I can probably delete my mail rule that deletes requests to this folder from people who still tried to access it. I got around 5-30 mails per day from unique users. heh.
Old 06 July 2020, 16:22   #2536
jayrox1965

Thanks to everyone for the hard work, appreciate it.
Old 06 July 2020, 18:36   #2537
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin View Post
why not put it back as before and trust the users instead of assuming that everyone is guilty?

It was really great to be able to share our archives. And to be able to modify / fix them at will

Because we clearly found files in the user uploads that should not be there..

Instead of picking fault, why not be grateful that this free service is still available!!2
Old 06 July 2020, 18:44   #2538
Aladin

the new provision is clearer

Last edited by Aladin; 07 July 2020 at 12:04.
Old 06 July 2020, 20:57   #2539
Ian
Global Moderator

It appears as though (maybe this isn't correct) that you were sharing links directly to your uploads folder on some website. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's a little suspect that you test links to your own uploads folder using the guest account.

This is not what the FTP is for.

What could be easier than posting in this thread, I have uploaded some stuff, please move it when you have checked it.
Old 06 July 2020, 22:18   #2540
Radertified

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
Instead of picking fault, why not be grateful that this free service is still available!!2
Exactly this.

There seems to be a lot of complaining for an immensely useful, yet entirely free service.