English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 19 December 2018, 06:19   #1
Axwind

Flashing screen when saving in WHDLoad games

Hi all, had an issue I was hoping to get some help with. I'm using FS-UAE on Windows 8.1 with the kickstarts from Amiga Forever, and while adf games work fine, whenever I save in a WHDload game, the screen flashes repeatedly like the computer's going on an acid trip. I've tried different memory settings and such, but with no luck. Also, hdf games don't work at all, I just get dumped to a workbench prompt. I can't get them or WHDload games to work at all in Amiga Forever for the same reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 19 December 2018, 15:27   #2
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

The flashing thing is WHDLoad doing swaps between memory and the HD. As it needs to access the system routies, it needs to shutdown the video for a little to do it (SOmeone with more expertise could do a better explanation than me )

It's normal and I don't think anything can be done about it. I know it's annoying mainly when music is playing as it also cuts the music, but it's better to not have the game saving on HDs at all
Old 19 December 2018, 20:50   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

Shatterland is right. However, when handled properly in the specific game slave, it's possible to limit the number of flashes, for instance by writing ahead empty bytes, providing a bigger, empty file for saves, so whdload saves when exiting instead of at once.
Old 19 December 2018, 21:07   #4
Axwind

Ah ok thanks. How do I do that?

Old 19 December 2018, 21:15   #5
DamienD
Banned

You don't; unless you're a coder and understand the Amiga to a high level; code wise...

File a report on the WHDLoad "Mantis" website; and maybe a WHDLoad coder can correct this in future.

...but you would obviously need to specify exactly which games have this issue.
Old 19 December 2018, 23:28   #6
jotd
This cat is no more

I did a couple of them recently. Monkey Island 2 IIRC. Yes, as DamienD wrote, use mantis http://mantis.whdload.de not EAB to do so.
Old 20 December 2018, 09:52   #7
Hewitson

In my opinion, saving upon exit is a terrible idea. I'm sure I'm not the only one who often switches off the machine whilst WHDLoad is still running.
Old 20 December 2018, 10:06   #8
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
In my opinion, saving upon exit is a terrible idea. I'm sure I'm not the only one who often switches off the machine whilst WHDLoad is still running.

You were not!. Also some games have its own exit and if you do it that way, you lose your progress!
Old 20 December 2018, 15:13   #9
daxb

Then use this: http://whdload.de/docs/en/opt.html#NoWriteCache