English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Sprites

Old 14 July 2012, 00:06   #1
aybe

Thumbs up New version of GfxRip !

Hi,

I have updated GfxRip : no more DWM composition being disabled, a new (bigger) font and a bigger window size (1024*768).

I still need to verify exporting since now it uses desktop depth ... so this is really just a preview

If you have suggestions / bug fixes about the old version, it's time to ask.

If it doesn't launch, you'll need this :
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl...s.aspx?id=5555 (Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86))

Waiting for your comments !

(Note: I am not the original author of GfxRip, in fact it all started when I wanted to do a Zool remake, trying to get hold of the graphics ...)

Update:
- now you can just press O to open a new file ! (no need to restart)
- starting the app. with arguments is broken for now ...
- export is 32bpp for now -> seeking for 8-bit instead !
Attached Files
File Type: zip gfxrip2012.zip (297.3 KB, 465 views)

Last edited by prowler; 27 December 2012 at 01:21. Reason: Fixed Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) link.
Old 14 July 2012, 08:14   #2
zenox98
Joy Division

Like the bigger window I always felt it was going to crash on my Windows 7 system, but this feels a little more safe.

One weird thing - the file requester text becomes corrupted when browsing folders. This may be because I increase the system font due to bad eyesight (i'm sooooo old).

Thanks
Old 14 July 2012, 16:05   #3
aybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenox98 View Post
Like the bigger window I always felt it was going to crash on my Windows 7 system, but this feels a little more safe.

One weird thing - the file requester text becomes corrupted when browsing folders. This may be because I increase the system font due to bad eyesight (i'm sooooo old).

Thanks
It is normal that the open file dialog gets broken with the new font, looks like it has hard-coded values.
Old 09 November 2012, 20:01   #4
juanosborne

X size to 42

Thank you for such a great tool!!!

I have a question, is there any way to set the x size to something different from 8x... I mean something like 42... I'm trying to get the sprites from a spectrum game (knight lore) and it looks like there x size is something different of 8, 16, etc...

Also it would be great to be able to export all the images to different files in just one click, instead one big imagewith borders.

Anyway thank you!, this is an incredible tool with a very smart approach!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aybe View Post
Hi,

I have updated GfxRip : no more DWM composition being disabled, a new (bigger) font and a bigger window size (1024*768).

I still need to verify exporting since now it uses desktop depth ... so this is really just a preview

If you have suggestions / bug fixes about the old version, it's time to ask.

If it doesn't launch, you'll need this :
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl...s.aspx?id=5555 (Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86))

Waiting for your comments !

(Note: I am not the original author of GfxRip, in fact it all started when I wanted to do a Zool remake, trying to get hold of the graphics ...)

Update:
- now you can just press O to open a new file ! (no need to restart)
- starting the app. with arguments is broken for now ...
- export is 32bpp for now -> seeking for 8-bit instead !

Last edited by prowler; 31 December 2012 at 21:04. Reason: Fixed link in quote.

Old 10 November 2012, 18:21   #5
aybe

hi,

First, I didn't create this tool, I just updated it.

Second, there will never be non-multiple values of 8, that's how the Amiga and the ST and pretty much all hardware of that era do store their graphics, this is an incomplete answer so if anyone can complete it ...

Third, on the sticky threads of this forum sub-section you can ask for some help on deciphering some game's graphics, basically you need to provide a memory dump and people can try some settings on them.
I'd suggest you to create a new post about it, reply here its url, I'll have a look see if I can help you.

Fourth, this is possible but not sure it's very useful, here's why : you'd typically upload a sprite sheet texture to your GPU for efficiency and practical reasons -> you'd probably end up stitching all the small images to a big one. Also you could just write a tool to read sections of a sprite sheet.

UPDATE :

My tests on the ROM yielded a width of 24 but I couldn't get good results,

However, look at this : http://www.icemark.com/dataformats/knightlore/ Pretty much all you need !!

Are you making a remake of this game ?

Last edited by aybe; 10 November 2012 at 19:25.
Old 10 November 2012, 22:57   #6
juanosborne

Thank you very much Aybe!,

No, I'm not doing a remake... I'm just a crazy digital artist working in something related to all those games that filled my life with joy :-))

You can see some of my works here http://www.juanosborne.com/

One more question... where is the sorce code of GfxRip?, is open to anybody?.

Again, thank you very much!.

Quote:
hi,

First, I didn't create this tool, I just updated it.

Second, there will never be non-multiple values of 8, that's how the Amiga and the ST and pretty much all hardware of that era do store their graphics, this is an incomplete answer so if anyone can complete it ...

Third, on the sticky threads of this forum sub-section you can ask for some help on deciphering some game's graphics, basically you need to provide a memory dump and people can try some settings on them.
I'd suggest you to create a new post about it, reply here its url, I'll have a look see if I can help you.

Fourth, this is possible but not sure it's very useful, here's why : you'd typically upload a sprite sheet texture to your GPU for efficiency and practical reasons -> you'd probably end up stitching all the small images to a big one. Also you could just write a tool to read sections of a sprite sheet.

UPDATE :

My tests on the ROM yielded a width of 24 but I couldn't get good results,

However, look at this : http://www.icemark.com/dataformats/knightlore/ Pretty much all you need !!

Are you making a remake of this game ?

Old 11 November 2012, 18:01   #7
zenox98
Joy Division

see this sticky post. The source is in the original download.
Old 11 November 2012, 19:17   #8
juanosborne

Got it

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenox98 View Post
see this sticky post. The source is in the original download.

Old 13 November 2012, 21:24   #9
aybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanosborne View Post
Got it

Thanks!
- Great web site !
- Let me upload the newer sources (folder is about 138Mb ... let me clean this and upload it tomorrow)
- Can you tell more what you're doing ?

Thank you !
Old 13 November 2012, 22:33   #10
juanosborne

Thanks!

Well, still not sure about what to do... I have some stuff related to all those Spectrum games, midi files from games intro music I did a while ago, a vector version of the Ultimate Play The Game logo, etc... and I need an excuse to post it in my site.

I was thinking in create some gigapixel image with the loading screen of the top 100 games, or take the sprites of my favorite Spectrum heroes and compose a big Sabreman (here is where GfxRip comes handy), or recreate Sir Clive portrait with spectrum game titles...

If you have an idea please share it with me!

Quote:
- Great web site !
- Let me upload the newer sources (folder is about 138Mb ... let me clean this and upload it tomorrow)
- Can you tell more what you're doing ?

Thank you !

Old 13 November 2012, 23:47   #11
aybe

Well, I would suggest you to create a game as it's what's on my mind at the moment.
I've been googling "Ultimate Play The Game" and looked at the 1st video popping out on youtube,
I like the guy in Knight Lore, remembers me the guy on NES Wizard & Warriors !
(my bad ! i just looked at wiki and that's from the same authors : Rare founders :-)))

Seeing all this, an idea comes to my mind : why don't create some mini-games featuring him ?
I'm a developer, as I understand you're an graphic artist, right ?
If you're interested we can try some brainstorming on this

Been looking at your site again, another idea, something fractal-istic like how you've drawn,
I've seen that [ Show youtube player ]
it's incredible the complexity in this game regarding its platform
Must have been impressive to play back in the time ...
Old 17 November 2012, 17:04   #12
juanosborne

Hi aybe,

Thank you very much for your great offer!. I'll be super happy to collaborate with you in any creative idea. The true is that I don't have too much time, family, kids, work, my crazy stuff... you know, it sounds impossible to me add something else. But I'll be happy to help.

Yes, it was fantastic to play Knight Lore in that time... the filmation technique really breaks the spectrum limits. It was looong time ago! :-) There is a lot of remakes around Knight Lore, so I'm not sure about creating a new one.

Let's think about something fully new! :-)

I'm going to send you a private message with my email.

Quote:
Well, I would suggest you to create a game as it's what's on my mind at the moment.
I've been googling "Ultimate Play The Game" and looked at the 1st video popping out on youtube,
I like the guy in Knight Lore, remembers me the guy on NES Wizard & Warriors !
(my bad ! i just looked at wiki and that's from the same authors : Rare founders :-)))

Seeing all this, an idea comes to my mind : why don't create some mini-games featuring him ?
I'm a developer, as I understand you're an graphic artist, right ?
If you're interested we can try some brainstorming on this

Been looking at your site again, another idea, something fractal-istic like how you've drawn,
I've seen that [ Show youtube player ]
it's incredible the complexity in this game regarding its platform
Must have been impressive to play back in the time ...

Old 17 November 2012, 22:58   #13
aybe

Ok I wrote you an email