English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 February 2002, 16:44   #1
Peanutuk

Desirable Complete Disk Games

Hi,

What in your opinion are the most desirable complete, boxed, disk based games that you would want in your collection?

Which disk based items would you really like to have complete or are happy to already have in your collection?

It would be nice to hear people's opinions - are disk based games that desirable in the ADF world?
Old 05 February 2002, 16:56   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I buy complete, boxed originals for a couple of reasons:

- To have the manuals
- So that the originals can be used to create new WHDLoad installs, or use on installers already created
- To get information for database reasons
- To collect rare versions, especially if the cracked version can't be found

So, I bought rubbish stuff like Hot Shot and Vortex for WHDLoad installs to be made and things like Bush Buck and Cavitas as we couldn't find cracks. Games like Ultima 6, Carrier Command, Paradroid 90 or Starglider I bought because they aren't exactly common in their original form!
Old 05 February 2002, 18:39   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Ditto to everything Cody said. But I have one to add, and that is to restore versions of the game(s) previously butchered by crackers. I don't mind them cracking, obviously, but when they chop out intros and other game data, or hex edit their names over the people's names who released or worked on the game, that is wrong. ebay has provided me this luxury (of obtaining hard-to-find games).

Games released in the US typically had piss-poor, PC-style packaging with goofy boxes and such, as opposed to the vastly superior packaging from the UK, so I like that part as well. In the old days, I was far less inspired to lay my money down for a gay-looking game box with some retard sitting on a motorcycle in some photo session, when the UK box-art looked like one of the covers of ZZap! and really made you wanna play the game.
Old 05 February 2002, 18:45   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Often I've got titlescreens for the database in original versions that weren't present in the cut-down crack versions.
Old 05 February 2002, 22:28   #5
jmmijo

Actually I may have the T-Shirts from both Beast 1 and 2. Lemme dig into my stored clothing boxes and see. This may take a while however as I've got to get rid of all this extra clothing sometime this year
Old 05 February 2002, 22:28   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
Often I've got titlescreens for the database in original versions that weren't present in the cut-down crack versions.
A good example of one of the most elusive in this category is Buck Rogers - Planet of Zoom. It's my opinion that the game was never actually commercially released on the Amiga and the version that turns up on so many compacts is an unfinished beta. Galahad, do you know anything about this one?
Old 06 February 2002, 00:06   #7
jmmijo

I just finished searching and I can't find any of the Beast T-Shirts Sorry about that, I could have given them away already, I know kill me but back in the late 80's and early 90's I was not looking at retro like I am now
Old 06 February 2002, 10:06   #8
Big-Byte
Long time member

Ive got a boxed and SEALED original of Captive lying around somewhere. I bought it at a car boot sale and the woman on the stall had a stack of about 20 of them. Should of got them all really.

How much do you reckon thats worth?
Old 06 February 2002, 10:08   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

The only Buck Rogers game released was the Countdown to Doomsday.
Old 06 February 2002, 19:38   #10
Andrew

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew
On the subject of t-shirts. The Amiga Format one, I've been searching for that. Anyone got one?
Old 06 February 2002, 20:50   #11
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
I have all my boxes and instructions!

If anyone is after a complete boxed game, lemme know what your after and I`ll search for them, I have all the boxes and instructions to all the games I bought! since 1987

so let me know
Old 07 February 2002, 01:23   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
The only Buck Rogers game released was the Countdown to Doomsday.
Well, what I was more looking for was the origin of the Buck Rogers one-parted game that has turned up on many compacts. It is obviously based on the Sega's "Buck Rogers Planet of Zoom" game as it looks exactly like what you would expect from that era's shovelware, so it seems to have really been planned for release. I was just wondering if you knew for a fact that it was a pre-release demo that was shelved or not.
Old 07 February 2002, 02:31   #13
Miggy2TheMax

One game that I've been particularly looking for is "Super Cars". I would luv to have the original boxed version ..

P.S: if anyone knows how to save the status of a game in Supercars please let me know .. thanks
Old 07 February 2002, 02:55   #14
Amiga1992

I partivularly desire that Disposable Hero you sent to me
Old 09 February 2002, 22:58   #15
Amiga1992

I desire no more, for disposable Hero has arrived

Now I would like Stardust... anybody? :P
Old 10 February 2002, 07:22   #16
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
One game that I've been particularly looking for is "Super Cars". I would luv to have the original boxed version ..
I've got both, but they are staying in the collection !