English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 March 2014, 11:31   #1
Wonderer

How do you package your Amiga boxes for posting?

Probably sounds like a silly question but I have LOTS of Amiga games and software for sale ( I have a job lot in the classifieds) and am contemplating selling individual titles. I have never posted games before and am aware that the boxes etc are usually more valuable than the game itself so can anyone let me know how they go about packaging and sending their games in the UK? What postal service etc?

Im a complete novice regarding these things as I only joined the forum to part ways with my fathers old Amiga collection.

Thank you all in advance

Old 02 March 2014, 13:42   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
For single Games if they are a strong and rigid box I wrap them in bubble wrap and then thick brown paper, the package is then protected from any shock damage. Anything under 1kg will go as 'small parcel' with Royal Mail which is £2.60 second class or £3 first class + £1.10 if you want it signed for at the other end.

For soft boxes/cartons you need to find a small box or wrap them secure in card, it can be a bit of a pain to be honest and no one likes to pay extra for a box on top of the postage price for single item (unless it's particularly rare/expensive)

I recently sold off half my games collection and I sold them mainly in sets of 5-10 games until all the best titles were cleared and then the last lot of 75 games as a job lot for £3 each.

It's easier selling in bundles as you can use a nice strong box and pack them all up safe, I wrap each individually in bubble wrap and pack them tight in the box so they don't move around in transit and also some packing material inside each of the game boxes so the contents don't move around.

For bigger packages or packages over 1kg you are better off with courier services, check out parcel2go.com and if you have a UPS drop off service near by they are great value (£6.95 I think it is up to 20kg!) It's delivered to your buyers front door too or even cheaper if they have a drop off point near by and can collect the package.

MyHermes are OK for cheaper bundles but you must pack them very well as they tend to get a bit of a bettering!

It's a lot of work but you will get more for your Games that way, unfortunately the only people with readies to buy games in bulk are the eBay traders and they wont pay the going rate as they obviously need to make money re selling them.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 02 March 2014 at 13:59. Reason: typos
Old 02 March 2014, 15:10   #3
Wonderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
For single Games if they are a strong and rigid box I wrap them in bubble wrap and then thick brown paper, the package is then protected from any shock damage. Anything under 1kg will go as 'small parcel' with Royal Mail which is £2.60 second class or £3 first class + £1.10 if you want it signed for at the other end.

For soft boxes/cartons you need to find a small box or wrap them secure in card, it can be a bit of a pain to be honest and no one likes to pay extra for a box on top of the postage price for single item (unless it's particularly rare/expensive)

I recently sold off half my games collection and I sold them mainly in sets of 5-10 games until all the best titles were cleared and then the last lot of 75 games as a job lot for £3 each.

It's easier selling in bundles as you can use a nice strong box and pack them all up safe, I wrap each individually in bubble wrap and pack them tight in the box so they don't move around in transit and also some packing material inside each of the game boxes so the contents don't move around.

For bigger packages or packages over 1kg you are better off with courier services, check out parcel2go.com and if you have a UPS drop off service near by they are great value (£6.95 I think it is up to 20kg!) It's delivered to your buyers front door too or even cheaper if they have a drop off point near by and can collect the package.

MyHermes are OK for cheaper bundles but you must pack them very well as they tend to get a bit of a bettering!

It's a lot of work but you will get more for your Games that way, unfortunately the only people with readies to buy games in bulk are the eBay traders and they wont pay the going rate as they obviously need to make money re selling them.
Thank you very much fitzsteve, that is very helpful. I have so many games to sell I need to source some cheap boxes and bubble wrap from somewhere now!

Old 02 March 2014, 15:32   #4
mark_k

Some tips I'd add:

- You can often get cardboard boxes for free from a local supermarket etc. You could put the game box in a carrier bag then scrunched-up newspaper around it in an old wine box (say). Free packaging plus the buyer should be pleased the item was well-protected. I'd also put some padding inside the game box so the disks don't rattle around.

- Currently you can send packages up to 1kg for 90p via parcel2go/UPS Shop to Shop. With that service the buyer has to collect the package from their local shop. (Which they might prefer if they can't sign for packages at home, or want to save money.)

- There are other delivery services where you can drop packages off at a local shop. See Collectplus, MyHermes, Parcel2go (UPS via Parcel2go). They each use different shops, so check which have shops near you. Collectplus is £5.29 for up to 10kg if the buyer can collect from their local shop.

- Particularly for heaver items, if the buyer prefers to arrange delivery themself (and email you a PDF address label), either to be collected or for you to drop off at a shop, you can save on eBay fees. Since the buyer won't be sending you the postage cost, you won't be charged the ~14% eBay+PayPal fee on it.