English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 June 2020, 13:43   #1
christophe64

Projet book DEMOMAKER The Amiga years

Hello,

We have just launched a crowdfunding campaign on indiegogo.com. The goal of this campaign is to allow the release of our first book on the Amiga demomaker scene "DEMOMAKER The Amiga years". You receive this message because we wish to inform you of this new adventure. This is a beautiful project.

Thank you in advance for your participation.

The project is being funded on the indiegogo website at https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/d...iga-years--2#/

You can also go further than financial support, you can also help us to communicate on this project.

Thanks !

Christophe
Editions 64K
www.editions64k.fr
Old 03 June 2020, 16:51   #2
deckard

Thanks for this nice Project!
Backed today ;-)

dECKARD
Old 03 June 2020, 17:27   #3
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

Looks just my thing. Backed
Old 04 June 2020, 11:06   #4
sodapop

Backed too !
Old 05 June 2020, 15:42   #5
christophe64

More informations... They helped us to writing the book

4-mat - Anarchy
Alex - Komplex / Melon dezign / Alcatraz / Dreamdealers / Quartex / The Silents
Audiomonster - Melon dezign / Alliance dezign / Anarchy / Komplex / The Silents
Avantage - Majic 12
Azatoth - Phenomena
Celebrandil - Phenomena / Fairlight / North Star
Cocy - Pure Metal Coders
Cougar - Sanity
D-zire - The Silents
Dan - Lemon. / Anarchy / Rebels / Spaceballs
Danko - Fairlight
Diablo - Budbrain
Dr Bully - Majic 12
Dr Jekyll - Andromeda
Facet - Lemon. / Anarchy / Spaceballs
Firefox - Phenomena
Heatbeat - Melon dezign / Rebels
Hyde - Andromeda
Jesper Kyd - The Silents
J.O.E - Scoopex / Red Sector Inc.
Lord Helmet - Spaceballs / Pure metal coders
Made - Rebels / Scoopex
Mantronix - Phenomena
Mikael Balle - The Silents
Moby - Dreamdealers / Quartex / Sanity
Mr Pet - Sanity
Murphy - Crionics / Kefrens / The Silents
Paleface - Melon dezign
Peter - Pure Metal Coders
PGCS - Alcatraz
Ra - Sanity / Dreamdealers
Rack - Majic 12
Ramjet - Pure Metal Coders
Redlight - Dreamdealers
Reward - Scoopex / Fairlight
Seen - Melon dezign
Static - Rebels / The Silents
Stripe The Gremlin - Talent
TDK - Melon dezign
The master - Silents
Tron - Anarchy / Sanity
Virgill - Sanity / Scoopex / Rebels
Zebig - Dreamdealers
Zoltar - Alcatraz

And more.....
Old 05 June 2020, 15:43   #6
christophe64

The project

After an history of the origin of demos and demoscene, start with the first demos including The Jungler and Boing then follow the Megademos period with RSI - Alcatraz - Kefrens - Rebels. The first slideshow with J.O.E (Scoopex / Red Sector Inc.). The creation and history of Rebels group by one of its founder Static, the first Trackmo with Mental Hangover from Scoopex which will change the style of demos in the early 90s and the history of this group from 1988 until in 2000. An other surprise like Budbrain productions which won 1st place at Amiga conference in 1990 with its megademo which will repeat with Budbrain Megademo 2 and the feeling of Diablo one of members. Without forgetting Anarchy with the participation of some of its members such as DAN, 4Mat or Facet, and Razor 1911 with its demo "Voyage". The Norwegians of Pure metal code with their demo Alpha and Omega.

Go to Hungary with the group Majic 12 and its Ray of Hope demo who will explain the conditions in which this demo was created. PGCS will tell you the story of the Odyssey demo and its 5 disks, an intergalactic epic that will take you to another demo called Hardwired, a Silents / Crionics production and the contribution of Jesper Kyd, Mikael Balle and Murphy. In 1990 Seen and Paleface decide to create Melon dezign, they tell us their debut until the release of their first game. Discover the underside of State of the Art a production of the Spaceballs group. An interview with Mark Knight alias TDK on his personal and professional carrer, but also Audiomonster from Melon dezign. A big thank you to Zebig who helped us with sketches of their Arkham Asylum demo. Another demo "Booo" from Melon dezign where Heatbeat tells us about the creation and origin of the music. Desert Dream by Kefrens, but also an interview with Stripe the gremlin the coder of Talent. 1993 a very prolific year in terms of demos with Fairlight and 242, the Lemon. group of course with Dan and Facet, Arte from Sanity where Ra and Moby will explain their work on this French/German demo, as well as the details of the making of 9 Fingers from Spaceballs.
Old 05 June 2020, 15:59   #7
christophe64

FACEBOOK Editions64K

https://www.facebook.com/editions64K/
Old 05 June 2020, 22:02   #8
Pixelfill

Couple of questions about the project.

Looking at the images presented on the Indie-gogo pages they seem to comprise mostly screen grabs from the demos and group logos. What proportion of the book contains text, and what proportion show images from the demoscene.

Those pages presented on Indiegogo mostly appear to only contain text in French, I appreciate the launch is for an English language imprint. Do you have any sample plates in English. The Melon dezign, and the Silents / Crionics Hardwired appear to be English, but there is limited text on those pages.

My limited understanding of French reading the Spaceballs & Talent pages would suggest that the book consists mainly of commentary including the description of the demo contents from a third party, rather than any insight into the characters involved in the production, or the technical issues overcome by the teams, is that a fair assessment?

I'm interested in the book, but must confess my interest would be more surrounding background information / discussion of the scene itself. Having watched most of the demos when they were released I'm less interested in screengrabs, and a description of what it contains and I can't ascertain what focus the book has.

Forgive me if this information is available on the Facebook page or the Indiegogo site, I looked but couldn't immediately determine the editorial direction.
Old 06 June 2020, 10:51   #9
sodapop

@Pixelfill :

I had the same concerns about the content, and the author told me the project was not only an art gallery or screengrabs, but a book with an informational insight from the sceners themselves as well.
For instance, as you don't speak French (my English is probably not better than your French ;-) ), here is a short translation of a paragraph about "Talent" (Stripe the Gremlin):
"At that time, my mathematics teacher at high school helped me to achieve this demo, during the breaks between lessons.
The blue star in the intro was created with his help, and he also teached me the meaning of Q.E.D."
Old 06 June 2020, 20:12   #10
christophe64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelfill View Post
Couple of questions about the project.

Looking at the images presented on the Indie-gogo pages they seem to comprise mostly screen grabs from the demos and group logos. What proportion of the book contains text, and what proportion show images from the demoscene.

Those pages presented on Indiegogo mostly appear to only contain text in French, I appreciate the launch is for an English language imprint. Do you have any sample plates in English. The Melon dezign, and the Silents / Crionics Hardwired appear to be English, but there is limited text on those pages.

My limited understanding of French reading the Spaceballs & Talent pages would suggest that the book consists mainly of commentary including the description of the demo contents from a third party, rather than any insight into the characters involved in the production, or the technical issues overcome by the teams, is that a fair assessment?

I'm interested in the book, but must confess my interest would be more surrounding background information / discussion of the scene itself. Having watched most of the demos when they were released I'm less interested in screengrabs, and a description of what it contains and I can't ascertain what focus the book has.

Forgive me if this information is available on the Facebook page or the Indiegogo site, I looked but couldn't immediately determine the editorial direction.

Hello,

I see there is a lot of questions about me (Editions64k) and the projet, so my name is Boucourt Christophe i'm french and born in 1973, i start with a 6128 Amstrad computer and discover amstrad scene with The Logon system, Fefesse, Paradox some diskmag and copy a lot of data listing come from magazines i draw some fonts and pictures early 1989 on OCP Art Studio.

Later i had the chance to have an Amiga 500 and start to swap floppy disk with demos of course and games but more demo, i do some gfx for groups. After this period i buy a PC and do graphics too for groups and the life caught up with me. I always interesting about demo and Amiga mine always working and i have this project from a long time.

When i start the project i have call some editors and publishers all say to me i'm not interesting not enought money with that. I decide to creat a business because in France you can't do what you want yes! yes! I start a 1st project in 2018 in French with a french crowdfounding company (Ulule) but not funding, many month after i change the book project and start to work on an english version (this one).

I'm not used to putting myself forward (maybe i should), and want only share my passion about Amiga and the DEMOSCENE. I know all is not perfect, maybe some typo and other things. As well this project if it's funding won't make me earn money, printing in Europe (Spain) for 500 ex. shipping cost 9€ is the price for backers but it's not the real price, Indigogo 5% + cash transfert + French tax on the turnover, goodies, translator (French to english) and security in case of an increase in price shipping. Rest assured i won't get rich with this book.

I always ask the permissions to the scener to publish and use there work in this book except when I have not had the means to contact them (what happens). I have ask to Boris Vallejo to use a pic for the book cover (for free) he ask me 1 000$ per picture too expensive for me so i have change the cover.

This is the list of the contributors at this time : 4-mat - Alex - Audiomonster - Avantage - Celebrandil - Cocy - Cougar - D-zire - Dan - Danko - Diablo - Dr Jekyll - Facet - Firefox - Heatbeat - Hyde - Jesper Kyd - J.o.e. - Lord Helmet - Made - Mantronix - Mikael Balle - Moby - Mr Pet - Murphy - Paleface - Peter - PGCS - Ra - Rack - Ramjet - Redlight - Reward - Seen - Static - Stripe The Gremlin - TDK - The master - Tron - Virgill - Zebig - Zoltar

So thank you for your time to read me, if you want to help me to do the best i'm open to exchange.

Christophe/Editions64K
Old 06 June 2020, 20:52   #11
a4k-oerx

Don't forget the original "Demo Maker" tool for Amiga (1991) and PC (1992) which was written by Delta/RSI & tcc Design and published via Data Becker as commercial product.

More about it e.g. here in an older eab thread, entry at pouet, or at archive.org v1.0, v1.1, v2.0, Vector Balls Editor v1.0...

Old 06 June 2020, 21:03   #12
Pixelfill

@Sodapop, many thanks, I was struggling both with the language, and also the size of the images lol.
Old 07 June 2020, 17:18   #13
Higgy

@christophe64 - what a great idea for a book.
I have sent a message to the main UK podcasts which love Amiga to try and get you some advertising
Good luck on the funding and fingers crossed.
Old 07 June 2020, 19:14   #14
christophe64

@Higgy Thank you so much for your help
Old 10 June 2020, 12:44   #15
Yoz Montana

AMIGA Rules

Nexus 7 by Andromeda
1st | The Party 1994

[ Show youtube player ]

MUSIC DEMO
Interphace

Last edited by Yoz Montana; 10 June 2020 at 13:03.
Old 10 June 2020, 12:54   #16
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Looks good
Old 14 June 2020, 21:47   #17
Higgy

Congratulations on meeting your funding requirement.

It was a shame Atari ST fans had a Demoscene book and we did not, until now

I expect Brian Bagnell who did 2 crowd funding AMIGA books (and has had books published) would offer some advice that would be helpful.

Last edited by Higgy; 14 June 2020 at 21:53.