English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 May 2021, 18:30   #1
ATWindsor

Trying WHDs for the first time, but music and framerate is choppy

I use launchbox for a front-end, and am trying to setup Amiga emulation. I tried this collection https://forums.launchbox-app.com/top...tion-dec-2019/. It uses WHDload? (WinUAE does the emulation itself, I am not sure i quite understand properly what WHDload actually does if anything om emulated hardware). It runs WHDrun that then calls on UAE. The problem is that the setup works in the sense that thing launches, but the music is choppy. And the game also seem to be a bit choppy (although i don't quite remember the framerate on the original hardware). What am i doing wrong here? My computer is reasonably powerful (and 8-core and a 1080 gtx) and emulates everything else I have tried fine. Seems strange to me it should struggle hardware-wise with an amiga. Should i set it up another way? is whd the way to go? I was last dabbling with amiga emulation many years ago, and the performance was fine then (with disk images and WinUAE), but it was always a real hassle that some hardware setup worked on some games, and not on others.
Old 02 May 2021, 20:58   #2
fehmi

If you are not familiar with WinUAE configurations and wish to run WHDLoad games from a front-end, why don't you use a proper Amiga front-end instead, i.e. FS-UAE Launcher? It supports OpenRetro Game Database so that you can run WHDLoad games without any extra effort.

Also, I have no idea about the collection you are using but you should get your games from Turran FTP
Old 02 May 2021, 21:27   #3
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Tsk tsk, "all lhas repacked as zip".
There's a reason zip was ditched in favour of lha.

*flies away*
Old 02 May 2021, 21:31   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

graphics configuration should be direct3D not directdraw. I had that directdraw shit and even on my i7 the sound was choppy
Old 02 May 2021, 21:34   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

At that point, in 2019, i assume that the P-UAE Retroarch core didn't support lha. I works fine since a bit. Scanning lha archives via launchbox and just load them on double click. For WinUAE i really suggest to use another frontend though, as mentioned.
Old 02 May 2021, 22:00   #6
ATWindsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehmi View Post
If you are not familiar with WinUAE configurations and wish to run WHDLoad games from a front-end, why don't you use a proper Amiga front-end instead, i.e. FS-UAE Launcher? It supports OpenRetro Game Database so that you can run WHDLoad games without any extra effort.

Also, I have no idea about the collection you are using but you should get your games from Turran FTP
I use the frontend for a lot of different game systems. That's why i use launchbox. I guess i can launch the FS-UAE-launcher from Launchbox, but the frontend itself shouldn't really change the emulation right? (provided the right settings of course, which i might not have, as I have performance issues). I tried the collection from the recommended ftp, but whd-run doesn't seem to support lha? (at least not the version I have)
Old 02 May 2021, 22:01   #7
ATWindsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
graphics configuration should be direct3D not directdraw. I had that directdraw shit and even on my i7 the sound was choppy
I couldn't find that setting, could you possibly give a pointer on where in the config to find it?
Old 02 May 2021, 22:23   #8
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Settings->Host->Miscellaneous->Graphics API
Old 02 May 2021, 22:46   #9
ATWindsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Settings->Host->Miscellaneous->Graphics API
Thanks a lot, seems like it already was set as direct-3D unfortunately.
Old 03 May 2021, 01:02   #10
fehmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATWindsor View Post
I use the frontend for a lot of different game systems. That's why i use launchbox. I guess i can launch the FS-UAE-launcher from Launchbox, but the frontend itself shouldn't really change the emulation right? (provided the right settings of course, which i might not have, as I have performance issues). I tried the collection from the recommended ftp, but whd-run doesn't seem to support lha? (at least not the version I have)
FS-UAE Launcher uses FS-UAE as it's emulation core - it is a fork of UAE and shares a lot of code with WinUAE. I suggested FS-UAE Launcher as your issues are most probably configuration related, not because one emulator is better than the other.

I use WinUAE for a more complex Workbench setup but prefer FS-UAE Launcher for gaming due to its native WHDLoad support and OpenRetro Game Database integration. FS-UAE Launcher basically connects to the database to retrieve specific FS-UAE configurations for literally thousands of games - you don't have to manually mess with different Amiga configurations.

Last edited by fehmi; 04 May 2021 at 01:58.
Old 03 May 2021, 08:38   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

There can be dozens of possible reasons, probably something weird in included config.

Make sure that you check the config when emulation has been started (=frontend supplied config is active, not WinUAE default).
Old 03 May 2021, 23:44   #12
ATWindsor

I have tried with FSUAE on the same files now after using a bit of time to undertand the setup there, and that seems to work. Not 100% sure why (based on some googling and the problems i have, it seems might be not using "preload" as an argument when the WHD-file is started), but I think I will try to setup Launchbox to use FS-UAE instaed of WINUAE