English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 May 2017, 15:54   #1
Bloodwych

Preserving all filesystem information using WinUAE directory emaultion

Many of you may know this already, but recently I was setting up a WinUAE for a friend and spent ages installing the ClassicWB UAE pack with all the WHDLoad games and Demos in PC directories.

To back all this up, if you use a free archiver like 7-Zip and select the wim format, you can preserve all the Amiga filesystem information stored in the NTFS alternative data streams. Then you can compress the wim image as a 7-Zip format to save space.

As many of you know, if you just use a standard archive format without backing up the NTFS data streams you will lose certain types of filesystem information. This doesn't happen on FAT32 volumes as UAE uses a separate file to store this info.