English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 June 2012, 03:34   #1
CountRaven

FastATA MKIII Problems

Hello Folks!

Well I guess I need your advice as I have some little problems (?) with my FastATA MKIII controller on my new 1200PPC. The setup is stored in a desktop case, BPPC, BVision, FastATA MKIII, HD, DVD-RW, SubWay USB, IndiVision MKI. The HD is stored on the first port of fastATA as primary master and the DVD-RW on the second as primary master. So:

1. The first issue is that when I know run the ATA3.driver the Amiga simply crashes. No matter if I run it on AmigaOS 3.9, AmigaOS 4.0 or 4.1. Only if I run the driver as ATA3.driver RESIDENT QUIT the Amiga would NOT crash. Any ideas?

2. However both in AmigaOS 4.0 and 4.1 the Hard Disk and CD work perfect. They are both recognized under scsi.device on MediaToolBox, on Mounter and on AtaPrefs program. On AtaPrefs on 4.0 and 4.1 the PIO is set to 0. When I run the Mounter from 4.0 and 4.1 I get the CD on ID 2 I guess this is the correct unit number of the CD, right or wrong? Anyway it seems that under 4.0 and 4.1 everything works fine. Do not know if the FastATA is in real action or it is just handled as a generic controller. But at least I got CD and HD.

3. HOWEVER on AmigaOS 3.9 I am not able to use the DVD drive. It is recognized when I run the ATAPrefs Software. But when I put a CD on the drive no icon on desktop. I have copied the Alegro filesystem from the FastATA disk on L and I have put the CD0 and CD0 form the same disk on the DOSDrviers folder, on the tooltypes of the icon I changed the unit to 0 and 2 in both cases no CD on desktop. On 3.9 the CD is only recognized on ATAPrefs -I tried with both PIO 0 on both HD and CD plus PIO 3 on HD and 4 on CD- but not recognized on HDToolBox and on Mounter. The version of scsi.device is 44.2. Is it correct?

I will also copy my SS and CD0 from my 3.9 to give you an idea. In general I want to know:

1. Why the ATA3.driver crashes?
2. Is FastATA working as FastATA or as a generic controller on 4.0 / 4.1?
3. How can I have CD support under 3.9?

Thanks for your time.

Quote:
; $VER: Startup-Sequence_HardDrive 45.2 (19.1.2001)
; Startup-Sequence for AmigaOS 3.9
c:morelibspace REBOOT
c:BlizKick Devs:Kickstarts/kick40068.A1200 EXTRESBUF=50000 SANITY=1000 HOGWAITBLIT NOPUPREBOOT MODULE FusionReserve romfixes QUIET

C:BPPCFix install >NIL:
C:stack 8192
C:ATA3.driver RESIDENT QUIT
;C:ATA3.driver QUIET
C:CardPatch
run >NIL: C:CardReset TICKS 50
C:AntiClick
C:PsdLoadModule DEVS:input.device QUIET ;Added by Poseidon-Installer

C:LoadModule L:FastFileSystem L:RAM-Handler L:Shell-Seg DEVS:scsi.device LIBS:icon.library LIBS:workbench.library NOREBOOT REVERSE

C:SetPatch SKIPROMMODULES fs,icon,ram,scsi.device,shell,workbench QUIET
;C:SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device" QUIET

C:Version >NIL:
C:AddBuffers >NIL: DF0: 15
FailAt 21

C:MakeDir RAM:T RAM:Clipboards RAM:ENV RAM:ENV/Sys
C:Copy >NIL: ENVARC: RAM:ENV ALL NOREQ

Resident >NIL: C:Assign PURE
Resident >NIL: C:Execute PURE

Assign >NIL: ENV: RAM:ENV
Assign >NIL: T: RAM:T
Assign >NIL: CLIPS: RAM:Clipboards
Assign >NIL: REXX: S:
Assign >NIL: PRINTERS: DEVS:Printers
Assign >NIL: KEYMAPS: DEVS:Keymaps
Assign >NIL: LOCALE: SYS:Locale
Assign >NIL: LIBS: SYS:Classes ADD
Assign >NIL: HELP: LOCALE:Help DEFER
Assign >NIL: AfA_OS_Libs: SYS:Libs/AfA_OS_Libs

BindDrivers
C:Mount >NIL: DEVSOSDrivers/~(#?.info)

C:LoadMonDrvs

SetEnv Language "english"

C:AddDataTypes REFRESH QUIET
C:AfA_OS_Loader
C:IPrefs
C:ConClip

Path >NIL: RAM: C: SYS:Utilities SYS:Rexxc SYS:System S: SYS:Prefs SYS:WBStartup SYS:Tools SYS:Tools/Commodities

SYS:System/REXXMast >NIL:

IF EXISTS S:User-Startup
Execute S:User-Startup
EndIF

Resident Execute REMOVE
Resident Assign REMOVE

C:LoadWB
EndCLI >NIL:
------------
Quote:
/* AllegroCDFS mountlist */

FileSystem = L:AllegroCDFS
Flags = 0 /* unused */
BlocksPerTrack = 10 /* unused */
BlockSize = 2048 /* unused */
Mask = 0x7ffffffe
LowCyl = 0 /* unused */
HighCyl = 0 /* unused */
Surfaces = 1 /* unused */
Buffers = 128
/* 128 = 128 * 512 bytes */
BufMemType = 1
GlobVec = -1
Mount = 1
Priority = 5
DosType = 0x41434453
StackSize = 2048
/* Control = DC */
/* DC=DEFCDDA/S - ISO/CDDA disks start as CDDA */

/* The Device and Unit fields are controlled by ToolTypes in the icon.*/

Last edited by CountRaven; 02 June 2012 at 07:02.
Old 02 June 2012, 09:53   #2
roy bates

shouldent the ata3.driver be at the very top of the startup with the stack next?

anyway, can you try renaming cd0 to cd2 and change it in the tooltypes to unit=2

Last edited by roy bates; 02 June 2012 at 09:59.
Old 02 June 2012, 11:13   #3
daxb

1)
Are you sure that ata3.driver crash?

You have to remove the LoadModule scsi.device entry because it overwrite ata3.driver its scsi.device. If it doesn`t help it might be a problem with SetPatch.

2, 3)
In the docs you can read something like this:

PRIMARY MASTER Unit 0
PRIMARY SLAVE Unit 1
SECONDARY MASTER Unit 2
SECONDARY SLAVE Unit 3

Further:
"Note: PRIMARY PORT without ATA3.driver running works like standard Amiga IDE connector."

So if devices on PRIMARY PORT work then FastATA should work too.

For MKI version: "Note: ATA3.driver ver.7.1 generates scsi.device ver.50."

Check the FastATA readme which version your ATA3.driver generates. V44.2 seems to be wrong.
Old 02 June 2012, 18:46   #4
CountRaven

Thanks for your answers

1. Will try with Cd2 and unit 2 and see what goes on.
2. Will remove the load modules and setpatch commands if this is needed.
3. Have also checked the docs. Useful info about the unit number thanks.

UPDATE: I booted with a simple 3.1 disk no patches and loadmodules. I run from the FastATA disk the Ataprefs software and it still recognises BOTH Hard Disk and CD!

Yes primary port seem to work ok, I still boot form hD and have the CD and HD in 4.0 and 4.1.

However yes I am sure that the driver crashes, I even executed from Workbench double click on its icon when I booted from 3.1 and it still crashes.

Will try to make a clean 3.1 install adding ATA3.driver on the first line of SS followed by the stack and see what the result would be -however I think I have already tried that but I will give a new shot-, probably there is something on my Amiga that this software do not like.

Last edited by CountRaven; 03 June 2012 at 05:31.
Old 02 June 2012, 21:19   #5
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Ejem... I always think your specs (using Fast ATA, BPPC and BVision) is what I should have used in my miggy. Why don't you show some photos? I'll like to see that beast.
And how did you solve the problem between BVision-Fast Ata-Keyboard?

Edit: I had problems with a dvd drive not working with OS4.1, but no problem with 3.9, just on the contrary of your problems. Perhaps you should change your Dvd.

Last edited by Retrofan; 02 June 2012 at 21:29.
Old 03 June 2012, 10:12   #6
CountRaven

Thanks for all the helpful posts Have it fixed modifying my CD0 mountlist using the atapi.device on unit 2. Now I got CD on 3.9 as well, still got to find why ata3.driver crashes if it is executed purely just with the QUIET option. Perhaps it is a conflict with the rest of the miggie's hardware or FastATA is not connected 100% perfectly? But I suppose in this case I would be unable to boot... Anyway I had two days messing with mountlists and devices, enough for now, time for some swimming and some beer

Quote:
Ejem... I always think your specs (using Fast ATA, BPPC and BVision) is what I should have used in my miggy. Why don't you show some photos? I'll like to see that beast.
And how did you solve the problem between BVision-Fast Ata-Keyboard?

Edit: I had problems with a dvd drive not working with OS4.1, but no problem with 3.9, just on the contrary of your problems. Perhaps you should change your Dvd.
Thanks for the advice mate, I have also thought about changing drive, fortunately the problem is solved Here are some photos

http://www.amigaplanet.gr/forum/down...=573&mode=view

http://www.amigaplanet.gr/forum/down...=575&mode=view

http://www.amigaplanet.gr/forum/down...=580&mode=view
Old 03 June 2012, 10:19   #7
roy bates

is the fastata crashing when its set to its fastest possible setting pio5?
try to set it to pio4 if it stops crashing it might be a connection problem on the rom sockets.
Old 03 June 2012, 10:43   #8
CountRaven

Tried PIO 0 on both HD and CD. Try PIO 3 and 4 also, 3 on HD, 4 on CD. No crashes -I mean no read / write errors but not a difference on speed- but do not know if the actual ata3.driver boots as I run it like this: c:ata3.driver RESIDENT QUIT -only this way it does not crash-. (scsi.driver ver = 44.2)

It is the ata3.driver software that crashes if executed as c:ata3.driver QUIET even on a pure amigaos shell -boot with no SS-.

Will check on PIO 5 and post feedback, thanks for the reply / help

Last edited by CountRaven; 03 June 2012 at 11:06.
Old 03 June 2012, 11:01   #9
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Great mod. So you use the Amiga power connector and the molex too?

http://www.amigaplanet.gr/forum/down...=575&mode=view

Last edited by Retrofan; 03 June 2012 at 11:08.
Old 03 June 2012, 11:08   #10
CountRaven

Quote:
Great mods. So you use the Amiga power connector and the molex too?
yes

------
ps. I edited my previous post adding some details about the PIO modes.
Old 03 June 2012, 11:42   #11
roy bates

there should be a maximum that the connected drives will go to in ataprefs,by this i mean it wont let you go to pio4,5 etc in the prefs if the drive doesent support it.

the harddrive should go to the maximum setting but i have got a couple that wont go past pio4,same for cd and dvd drives.

but anyway,i forgot to ask you say it crashes in what way does it crash.do you get a guru of some kind?or do you get read write errors on the harddrive?

have you got your drive setup correctly what is you maxtransfer settings? it should be around 0x01FE00,and have the buffers at least set 100.

also how big is your boot partition?as a rule it shouldent be bigger than 500mb.

sorry for all the questions,i just type whatever comes to mind at the time lol.

Last edited by roy bates; 03 June 2012 at 13:07.
Old 03 June 2012, 12:08   #12
daxb

What happens if you type "ata3.driver" in a shell after booting? I mean launched a second time it should display some device information.

How do you get the scsi.device version? If I type "version scsi.device" I get the ROM version. E.g. Scout or XOpa shows the patched version by ata3.driver.

While testing you shouldn`t use the QUIET argument. Maybe you get an error message before crash.

Maybe you get some information in your ata3driver_readme. In my (old, don`t knwo if it differs much to MK3) you can read e.g. this:
Quote:
USING HDD > 8 GB

Note (for AmigaOS < 3.5):
If you have a HDD larger than 8 GB connected to the PRIMARY PORT
working in NO SPLIT mode, ATA3.driver should be set as resident.
You may do it either by:
placing ATA3.driver RESIDENT QUIT in the startup-sequence, or
choosing RESIDENT option in ATA3Prefs, if you have
any software forcing computer reset in s:startup-sequence
(e.g. you could place ATA3.driver before SetPatch line from OS3.5).
You may also try ReadTest (included) to check if you config works.
Old 03 June 2012, 15:08   #13
CountRaven

Thanks for all your kind posts and effort to help!

When I say ata3.driver "crashes" I mean:

If I open a shell or boot with no SS and simply type c:ata3.driver leaving behind any options -QUIET option included- then after I press return the system crashes I would not return back to the AmigaOS prompt, the cursor goes to the next line and that is it... I can only reset the Amiga -both warm and of course cold-.

If I boot it from SS -I do not remember if I tested just the c:ata3.driver command there but I have used the QUIET option-, then I remain on the black screen that the computer has gone during the boot process,and the booting stops. There will be a little flashing on the HD, a single click on the floppy ad then no HD flash, no floppy clicks, just an Amiga stuck on this black screen.

Boot partition is smaller than 500 giga of course and all bootable partitions of fine are on the 4 giga limit. I triple boot 3.9, 4.0 and 4.1. Same symptoms have been confirmed in 3.9 and 4.1 Will check for further hard disk details -maxtransfer- but I think they are correct.

I have check the documentation and have discovered this as well:
USING HDD > 8 GB

Quote:
Note (for AmigaOS < 3.5):
If you have a HDD larger than 8 GB connected to the PRIMARY PORT
working in NO SPLIT mode, ATA3.driver should be set as resident.
You may do it either by:
placing ATA3.driver RESIDENT QUIT in the startup-sequence, or
choosing RESIDENT option in ATA3Prefs, if you have
any software forcing computer reset in s:startup-sequence
(e.g. you could place ATA3.driver before SetPatch line from OS3.5).
So I am using the ata3.driver RESIDENT QUIT. Well it would not crash from shell or early AmigaOS boot but I do not think the driver is loaded anyway. The machine would boot if I use this option on SS. However again I must point that the driver is not loaded, this is what I believe. The FastATA works as a generic controller.

I am also able to change PIO both in HD and CD have not tried to get it to the max -5-. Have tried 3 on HD and 4 on CD.

I am able to get the scsi.device version from MediaToolBox and / or HDToolBox.

Quote:
What happens if you type "ata3.driver" in a shell after booting? I mean launched a second time it should display some device information.
Will try this!

Quote:
sorry for all the questions,i just type whatever comes to mind at the time lol.
I am the one who has to apologize for this boring, big topic. Your questions are very HELPFUL.

I have answered all to your questions guys. You can ask anything else you like. again thanks for your time.
Old 03 June 2012, 15:16   #14
CountRaven

Quote:
System crashes again. Just able to move the mouse, nothing else.

I booted with the ata3.driver RESIDENT QUIT option on SS.

I start to believe that this is an incompatibility issue. I got a FastATA MKIII that just works as a generic controller. Why?

This Amiga is equipped with a BlizzardPPC overclocked only on the 68k side:

68060 Rev.1 50MHz--->60MHz and 603 300MHz (66MHz on bus side).

Perhaps FastATA driver do not like this

At leas the HD and CD work under 3.9, 4.0 and 4.1 even without the extra FastATA speed.

But if you got any more ideas / proposals / questions - go on I am with you! We shall solve the mystery!
Old 03 June 2012, 15:20   #15
roy bates

when you run the ata3.driver from shell has the system already booted?

are you trying to run the ata3.driver from the early startup?if so i think your not ment to run it this way hense the reason it has to be at top of the startup sequence.

if your worried that overclocking your accelorator may make these not work,mine is a apollo 1260@100mhz

edit:ive just noticed your softkicking 3.1 what kickstart is in your amiga ? is it version 3.0 if your softkicking can you make sure its after the ata3.driver.

the reason im saying make sure the driver for this is at the top of the ss is because it patches the scsi.device as the machine boots the drive anything above and before it will probably make it crash anyway because of the way it works,like softkicking before this driver will crash your system.

Last edited by roy bates; 03 June 2012 at 15:39.
Old 03 June 2012, 15:42   #16
CountRaven

Quote:
when you run the ata3.driver from shell has the system already booted?
yes, I am using the c:ata3.driver RESIDENT QUIT option on top of SS. I have moved the command on the first line. Only if I use ata3driver WITH the RESIDENT QUIT option -no matter from shell or from any place at SS- the system would NOT crash, however I do not think the driver is loaded. After the boot I would open a shell and re-type c:ata3.driver to make the checking that was requested above -I am copying-:

Quote:
but it crashes again.

It could be an overclock issue.

BTW Apollo as great cards
Old 03 June 2012, 15:45   #17
CountRaven

Quote:
it:ive just noticed your softkicking 3.1 what kickstart is in your amiga ? is it version 3.0 if your softkicking can you make sure its after the ata3.driver.

the reason im saying make sure the driver for this is at the top of the ss is because it patches the scsi.device as the machine boots the drive anything above and before it will probably make it crash anyway because of the way it works,like softkicking before this driver will crash your system.
Yes I have moved it on top, however I am willing to make some more testing trying the RESIDENT QUIT option -no crash- and avoid to soft kick the machine.

Have already tried the ata3.driver QUIET on a vanilla 3.1 install -on different partition within the 4 giga- but it crashed however I do not remember if I have put it on TOP of SS so I will test again!
Old 03 June 2012, 15:46   #18
CountRaven

@roy bates

Thanks so much for all yur help, effort and support I have noticed that you have helped other people in similar FastATA topics! You rule!
Old 03 June 2012, 15:52   #19
roy bates

no i think you missunderstood,you can softkick the machine.you just have to do everything after the ata3.driver and the stack have been seen in the startup sequence.

also i dont think it matters if you have the resident command or not in the sequence it'll run anyway.

but it will matter if youve got the maxtransfer set wrong.

please dont praise me,im just trying to help.im not always right.
Old 03 June 2012, 22:35   #20
CountRaven

Quote:
no i think you missunderstood,you can softkick the machine.you just have to do everything after the ata3.driver and the stack have been seen in the startup sequence.
Yes I understood I just thought the no soft kick option as an extra test.