English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

View Poll Results: Which game is better?
Kid Gloves 11 9.82%
Rick Dangerous 101 90.18%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 October 2006, 00:11   #1
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Question Which game is better? Kid Gloves or Rick Dangerous

Curious as to what people think!
Old 22 October 2006, 00:34   #2
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Rick Dangerous for me.

But I would say, Rick Dangerous or PP.Hammer. They are more alike. Lot's of traps in both games.
Old 22 October 2006, 01:10   #3
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
You're kidding right?

I have another poll, which woman is more beautiful:

Old 22 October 2006, 01:42   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I should be saying Rick Dangerous, but the one thing about RD I absolutely hate is the traps that you don't know about until you hit them. Thats clearly not fair, so from that point of view Kid Gloves is better.

But I still prefer RD.

If I was gonna do a remake or a sequel, it would be RD 3
Old 22 October 2006, 02:22   #5
sw2001

same opinion here as the two posters before. I quoted for RD although I hate those unfair obstacles. Yes, PPHammer is more like RD, and Gordian Tomb too.
Old 22 October 2006, 04:20   #6
Slayer
Amiga Member

she might be more beautiful but lousy choice in partners

heh...

errr... on top, RD for sure...
Old 22 October 2006, 05:44   #7
Codetapper

I'll explain a bit more about this poll when we have a few more votes - say 30 or more.
Old 22 October 2006, 10:18   #8
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21
You're kidding right?

I have another poll, which woman is more beautiful:
Better DPI on the first picture
Old 22 October 2006, 13:04   #9
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Rick Dangerous (I,II,II.5) are awsome games, real Indiana Jones stuff.

Kid Gloves is well .. for kids .. tis jus poop. (especially the (n)x(n) gfx)
Old 22 October 2006, 18:15   #10
Graham Humphrey

Shame there isn't 'they're both rubbish' option.... but RD isn't a game really - it's a memory test. So Kid Gloves wins by default.
Old 22 October 2006, 19:43   #11
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Funny thread :P

Well, since i've never played KG for real, it's RD for me...
Old 22 October 2006, 22:11   #12
Codetapper

Can I just add that if you have not played both games, do not vote please!

I should have had options for "I've only played Kid Gloves", "I've only played Rick D" and "I haven't played either" but too late now...
Old 22 October 2006, 22:16   #13
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Yes, that would make the poll more precise...
Old 22 October 2006, 22:53   #14
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

So your doing a remake CT ?

For which platform ?
Old 22 October 2006, 22:53   #15
Ultron
Something

Did somebody just dissed Monica Belluci?

Son of a bitch!!!
Old 22 October 2006, 23:07   #16
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Is it the same woman in one of those 'Look what drugs can do to you' campaigns?
Old 23 October 2006, 05:18   #17
Avanze
Amiga User

Rick D.
Old 23 October 2006, 08:55   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Rick, he is just cooler with his perpetual gigantic grin. Kid Gloves is... fun for a few plays, but it has nothing to add to the genre. Rick did add something: heaps of frustration!
Old 23 October 2006, 09:29   #19
Codetapper

OK that's 30 votes and 26-4 in favour of Rick D. Now the reason for the poll!

I was looking over the "Amiga Power All Time Top 100" lists and Kid Gloves was in the top 100 5 years out of the 6. Rick Dangerous was only in it the first year, and below Kid Gloves. Strangely, the inferior sequel Rick Dangerous 2 was in position 17 in the first year (1991) then never again!

This means Amiga Power disagrees with the vast majority of us over this game! The majority of people think Rick D is the better game, yet Amiga Power continually raved about this game. I reckon because it was on their coverdisk. If it had been on Zero or some other rival mag, I imagine it would never have made it into a top 100 list at all. No doubt Stuart Campbell will come on and say we are all wrong...

My reasons for Rick D being the better game:

- The game is very slick
- If ever invisible traps suited a game, it's an Indiana Jones style game
- Cute graphics
- Awesome sound effects (shooting, dying, blowing up explosives)
- Memorable music
- The main character is great
- It was released a year before Kid Gloves, so you would hope KG would make better use of the machine

Reasons I dislike Kid Gloves:

- Shocking collision detection
- Crap inertia when jumping
- If you move a pixel too far into falling towers of blocks you are dead
- Rather than fix the falling tower problem they gave you 9 lives to start to compensate
- Garish graphics
- Unmemorable music (the sound effects are very crisp however!)
- There is nothing slick about the game

I just checked and the average mark on Lemon is significantly higher for Rick D, as well as higher game review scores in the magazines too. How did AP get it so wrong?
Old 23 October 2006, 10:05   #20
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

So, what has Rick Dangerous got to do with Kid Gloves being in the Top 100? Nothing.

The Kid Gloves vs Rick Dangerous debate was essentially set up as something where you knew the result beforehand. More people have played Rick Dangerous than Kid Gloves and we even discovered that votes have been cast by those who have only played Rick. You could also have done a comparable vote with Vaxine (which was on an Amiga Format coverdisk) and Shadow of the Beast and would have got a similar result e.g. high votes for Beast. But does that mean that Beast is a superior game or just more popular when seen through nostalgia-tinted glasses?

You have proven zilch with this vote.

Also, you've misunderstood the AP Top 100s (again). They are simply a list of the magazine team's favourite games of each year. I've gone over this before in a similar thread but I'll explain it again. There is no way to produce a definitive list of games as there will always be someone who disagrees for some reason. There are additionally many ways of doing a Top 100; best graphics or best gameplay (if that could ever be defined, which it can't) or most popular games or best sellers or most influential or a combination of all? So what the AP team did was to produce a list of THEIR favourite games. Which is why it's very subjective and contains games like Kid Gloves.

Is Kid Gloves a good game? Not particularly. It's average and is stuck in the 8-bit era. AP said the same thing themselves:

"The graphics are crap, there're only 50 screens and it looks like an old Commodore 64 game. And its feet smell. But Kid Gloves is actually a really neat, amusing little game. The crap graphics are, in fact, just what's needed to get the job done, those 50 screens have had lots of thought put into them, and they'll consequently keep you amused for ages, and there's nothing wrong with old Commodore 64 games. (And we were joking about its feet.) Full-story fans will be interested to know that Kid Gloves came stuck to the front of issue two of AMIGA POWER. (Yes, it was on a coverdisk, pedantry fans.)"

Was Kid Gloves in the Top 100 because Stuart Campbell liked it? Yes. Was it there because it was on their coverdisk? Who knows? Who cares? In any case, I'm not sure why it would have remained in Top 100s even if it was on the first issue.

And finally, here's a list of Codetapper's logical errors that can be ticked off:

Quote:
Argumentum ad populum - in logic, is a fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true because many or all people believe it; it alleges that "If many believe so, it is so." In ethics this argument is stated, "if many find it acceptable, it is acceptable."
Yes, if you find enough people who believe that Rick Dangerous is a better game then you can "prove" it.

Quote:
Straw Man - A straw man argument is a logical fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is to create a position that is easy to refute, then attribute that position to the opponent. A straw-man argument can be a successful rhetorical technique (that is, it may succeed in persuading people) but it is in fact misleading, because the opponent's actual argument has not been refuted.
Yes, if you set up the Kid Gloves versus Rick Dangerous argument then you can easily win the argument.

Quote:
Irrelevant Conclusion - "Ignoratio elenchi (also known as irrelevant conclusion) is the logical fallacy of presenting an argument that may in itself be valid, but which proves or supports a different proposition than the one it is purporting to prove or support. "Ignoratio elenchi" can be roughly translated by ignorance of the issue;
Yes, argue about an irrelevant point (Rick Dangerous) and then apply it to something else (Kid Gloves in the Top 100).

Last edited by CodyJarrett; 23 October 2006 at 19:44.