English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 November 2018, 05:23   #341
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
If the "engine" could be easily adapted to others games, may you consider Road Runner for a next shot (after the Starquake 68000 optimisation) ?
Have you seen the ST version of Road Runner? It's diabolical and unplayable due to the scroll position being so far to the left that you get no warning of hazards. It would need a complete rewrite from scratch to do it justice. Also I'm pretty sure Galahad is not a fan of the original arcade game!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 November 2018, 07:28   #342
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Have you seen the ST version of Road Runner? It's diabolical and unplayable due to the scroll position being so far to the left that you get no warning of hazards.
I am sure a simple change from if (RRscreenX < 30) scrollRight(); to if (RRscreenX < 100) scrollRight(); would fix that in a jiffy Also the C64 version of the game is pretty much the best of them all (including the arcade), very playable and fun to play
Old 19 November 2018, 10:16   #343
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
There is no "engine", its called hacking. There is no solution that fits all conversions.
[...]
I was kidding a little bit with the "engine" , but it was tempting with :
Quote:
[...] So basically look for colour pallete routines and replace, find the vblank routine and pointer to screen memory and redirect to something [...]
I know it's not that easy as a search/replace with a text editor but looked like .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Have you seen the ST version of Road Runner? It's diabolical and unplayable due to the scroll position being so far to the left that you get no warning of hazards. It would need a complete rewrite from scratch to do it justice. Also I'm pretty sure Galahad is not a fan of the original arcade game! [...]
Back in time I played it on the ST with a good friend of mine (which had an Atari ST (no Amiga vs ST war between us ). Was not an easy game as far as I remember it (or maybe we were just "bad" ) but was playable and fun . Later I did play the GBA version (poor Wile E. Coyote ).
Anyway not the topic here, let's close this RR parenthesis that I opened despite me and return to Starquake .
Old 19 November 2018, 10:45   #344
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
I know it's not that easy as a search/replace with a text editor but looked like .
While it's true there is nothing that could be called an engine, there is normally still some small amount of code reuse.
But one sure thing is that the process can not be automated. Porting a game involves scanning all code by hand, to find and alter whatever will not work directly on the target platform.
Old 19 November 2018, 18:13   #345
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:

Jason Brooke did the music, David McLachlan did the graphics, still trying to work out the programmer.

Eeerm, Steve Crow?
Old 19 November 2018, 18:22   #346
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Eeerm, Steve Crow?
No, he only did select 8bits
Old 19 November 2018, 18:30   #347
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

In this article they say David McLachlan was also a coder (for PC), so maybe he coded it even for Atari

https://archive.org/stream/thegamesm...e/n67/mode/2up

But obviously the article is not precise, the screenshot is CGA, not ST, so not much trusty source.
Old 19 November 2018, 19:04   #348
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
In this article they say David McLachlan was also a coder (for PC), so maybe he coded it even for Atari

https://archive.org/stream/thegamesm...e/n67/mode/2up

But obviously the article is not precise, the screenshot is CGA, not ST, so not much trusty source.
No, ive spoken to David two days ago. He was given the Spectrum graphics and simply updated them.
Old 19 November 2018, 20:21   #349
kamelito
Zone Friend

@Galahad,
You were in touch with Paulie, does he knows? Did you asked Mark Jones?
Old 19 November 2018, 20:59   #350
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
I don't suppose your Atari version in the documentation has the full credits for the ST version does it?

Jason Brooke did the music, David McLachlan did the graphics, still trying to work out the programmer.
My best guess is a guy called Dave Collins. Apparently, he was responsible for the Amstrad and Tatung Einstein conversions (and, by association, may have done the MSX conversion too); both machines are Z80-based and it's a hop, skip and a jump to convert to the Atari ST. Dave Collins also coded the Atari ST conversion of Last Ninja 3, sooooo......

Is there anyone you can ask about the extent of Dave Collins' involvement with the Starquake conversions?

Last edited by DrBong; 19 November 2018 at 21:11.
Old 19 November 2018, 21:05   #351
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
My best guess is a guy called Dave Collins. Apparently, he was responsible for the Amstrad and Tatung Einstein conversions (and, by association, may have done the MSX conversion too); both machines are Z80-based and it's a hop, skip and a jump to convert to the Atari ST. Dave Collins also coded the Atari ST conversion of Last Ninja 3.

Is there anyone you can ask about Dave Collins and the extent of his involvement with the Starquake conversions?
Im following up a lead about Stephen Curtis who is a possibility. He did Classic Invaders on Amstrad and Amiga for Bubble Bus who did Starquake, and I get the impression he worked on quite a few Amiga titles but is hardly credited.
Old 19 November 2018, 21:52   #352
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Phill
Fair enough - keep us posted. Nick Jones might be another contender worth looking into. His early games from 1986-88 for Bubble Bus were mostly on the Amstrad, and he worked with Steve Crow on Earthworm Jim at Shiny Entertainment in the U.S. after Bubble Bus was wound up.
Old 19 November 2018, 22:13   #353
high-5
Zone Friend

Thanks for this cool project. Not a fan of Starquake (yet) but it's great to see the involvement of so many people in this and get some background information on it!!
Old 19 November 2018, 22:18   #354
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

@Galahad Are you going to fix the cheat for v1.2?
Old 19 November 2018, 22:19   #355
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
@Galahad Are you going to fix the cheat for v1.2?
No, i thought id leave it broken
Old 19 November 2018, 22:28   #356
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I mean not necessary it there will be one in WHDLoad.
Old 20 November 2018, 08:20   #357
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Great conversion Awesome project all the way. Galahad, you're a wizard But you already knew that I had one hiccup, though:

1/5 times of the times I tested (2nd time), the game hung right before the eab screen. Floppy disk drive light stayed on and screen went black. No guru or something like that. On next boot, it again worked ok. haven't noticed problems with some other floppies, e.g. Lotus 2 and Turrican 2. Performance of Starquake is very smooth, but I suppose it is as expected with this hw.

A600 1.1 recapped by Amigakit
Ray Carlsen psu
Furia 33Mhz and SD card (no stability issues)
2MB chip
9,5MB fast
New floppy drive
Starquake 1.1 written with ADfer to a fresh floppy.

This is not a complaint, just a report if it indicates something.

Last edited by emuola; 20 November 2018 at 08:38.
Old 20 November 2018, 18:19   #358
oRBIT
Zone Friend

@Galahad: Impressed by your work, you have too much sparetime? Would be interesting to hear some kind of behind-the-scenes stuff with these conversions..?
Old 20 November 2018, 19:19   #359
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

This thread has now run its course and you are invited to go here:http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...12#post1286212

For all things support and release for future iterations of Starquake.
Old 20 November 2018, 19:53   #360
DamienD
Banned

So you want this thread closed Sir Galahad?