English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 30 November 2011, 09:36   #1
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Create a floppy image for saving games

I get this message when trying to save a "Captive" game:

"The software uses a non-standard floppy disk format. You may need to use a custom floppy image file instead of a standard one."

The adf I have was cracked to not require a special disk format it says that a regular disk will work - but there are other games that ive gotten this message from.

Does anyone know how to
a: make a floppy image disk?

b: make a custom floppy image?

Also the game info during boot indicates the save disk needs to be in DF0:
So I am guessing I will have to manually "switch" the disks?

Thanks

Last edited by Morbane; 30 November 2011 at 10:01.
Old 30 November 2011, 20:02   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Here's how to make a custom disk image.

Last edited by Arnie; 02 March 2012 at 18:12.
Old 30 November 2011, 21:30   #3
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Arnie - Thanks but that isnt enough information for me - when I hit start from Create Floppy - I get a 3.1 boot screen.

Could you please give more detail?
Old 30 November 2011, 21:34   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I get a 3.1 boot screen.
You shouldn't, the windows explorer pops and ask you for an ADF name. Looks like a problem with your Amiga Forever setup.
Old 01 December 2011, 01:10   #5
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Retro
Please feel free to elabourate the method/path to WinUAE configurationing - I have had zero success with WinUAE as the end result is always pressing the "Start" button and nothing happening.

So a Link to a good walkthrough or a merciful poster person type in the way to disk image creation.

Old 01 December 2011, 01:37   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Well, there is no walkthrough. Just press the "Create Custom Disk" button. Ignore your Amiga Forever setup, download the latest zipped WinUAE version and try it again.

http://www.winuae.net/frames/download.html
Old 01 December 2011, 03:14   #7
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Thanks for the link Retro - I will try it when i get home.

So when it gets working correctly it asks for the adf - which in this case will be a game - will there be a set entry or will I have to do it every time I play the game?

Will there from then on be a save disk that will remain in tandem with the game?
Old 01 December 2011, 08:49   #8
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Got the latest WinUAE but I still get the BOOT Prompt to insert a disk - cant someone describe a bit more of the process - clearly it is not self explanatory - Im not getting the whole picture - PLEASE describe the process

I need to be able to reuse the disk image - I cant see how WinUAE would save an image. Where does it go once it is made - how is it saved - how do I reuse it???

give a man a fish and he eats for a day - TEACH him to fish and he eats for life - pointing to the fishing pole then walking away is NOT teaching

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 01 December 2011 at 09:09. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 01 December 2011, 09:11   #9
Graham Humphrey

Click 'Create Custom Disk' and it should bring up a file requester. All you have to do is type in the name of the file you want to create and save it wherever. That is literally all you do, there is nothing else to it.
Old 01 December 2011, 10:06   #10
antonvaltaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Ignore your Amiga Forever setup, download the latest zipped WinUAE version and try it again.
Sorry, but this isn't particularly helpful advice - Morbane already has the latest version of WinUAE as he has Amiga Forever which auto-updates to the latest version.

Morbane, I'm not sure if you realise but WinUAE is the emulator which the Amiga Forever Player software is essentially a frontend for. To get to the menu which Arnie referred to in post #2, just start up any emulation session (doesn't matter which config) using either Amiga Forever or WinUAE.

Press F12 and you will get the WinUAE config menu. With recent editions of Amiga Forever you rarely need this, but creating custom floppy images is one of those times (using the AF Player software, you can only create standard floppy images).

Click on the 'Floppy Drives' tab on the left and you will see a menu similar to the screenshot in Arnie's post. You can then save the new custom ADF anywhere on your computer.

Load your game back up in Amiga Forever as before. When prompted for the save game disk, click on the floppy disk icon in the emulation window, then click on 'Insert' then 'From File' - select your newly created image.

At the end of your game session, Amiga Forever will ask you if you want to confirm the disk changes - make sure you tick the box, then your new custom ADF will be stored as part of the game file (RP9) and on subsequent occasions you can just select it from the floppy icon. (You can delete the ADF from your computer after this if you want - it will actually be embedded within the RP9 file).
Old 01 December 2011, 10:12   #11
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Ok - I managed to make a disk - but the message still comes up from the original post I made above.
I manually insert the created disk image to DF0 and try to save but no dice - the save fails the game flashes rainbows all over the place and the game adf gets ruined to not be bootable.

Any suggestions are welcome

EDIT: didnt see Anton's post - I will try his suggestions. :Smile
Old 01 December 2011, 10:27   #12
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Anton

Your advice has been invariably helpful - you should consider capitalising - well maybe not because I would go broke

THANKS AGAIN! Now I am playing another retro-tastic game with the option to save my game - woot!