English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 28 May 2021, 14:44   #401
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Bubbob42!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
3.2 has Kickstart 47.96 and Workbench 47.2. However, workbench.library itself is V47.33. I know, confusing.
Things are never simple with the Amiga
Thanks though for the numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
Your diagram would need a lot of new connections to capture reality as it is: Many 3.1.4-components were updated 3.9 components, like workbench.library, shell, etc. There are also 4.x components in 3.1.4, though they are few.

About Reaction, Steady already wrote it was introduced back in 3.2, not 3.1.4. It also is not a backport from 4.1, to be precise, but a backport of OS4.0 Reaction, including all fixes subsequently made till 4.1FE plus additional ones and also some enhancements of 4.1 Reaction. (A straight backport of 4.1 Reaction was not possible for numerous reasons, OS3's Intuition feature set not being on par with OS4.1's among them).

For 3.2, there are a lot of OS4 backports, among them ASyncWB, DefIcons, RAWBInfo. Some new features are completely new programs albeit sharing the same name with 3.9 or 4.1 counterparts. And there are special cases like "Mounter", which is Olsen's ancient bugfixed GadTools version of its OS3.9 Reaction counterpart (unavailable to us).

For an even dizzier head, dive into the changelogs. :P
Interesting, thank you!
I changed my diagram to show that ReAction + fixes come from v4.0 but won't try to represent all the other backports, migration, fixes

I'll dig into the change logs another time

Cheers!
Old 28 May 2021, 14:48   #402
stylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancfrancis View Post
I also ordered CD+kickstarts from amigastore.eu two weeks ago but haven't heard anything. I mailed to ask for an update and still no word. Have you heard anything? I'm considering making a second order from somewhere but really I'm frustrated I can't just pay for an ISO download so I can at least try it in FS-UAE :-)
Actually I'm in the same boat myself and thought about doing the exact same thing.... they did email me last weekend because I'd opted to order the floppies too (belt and braces) but they said offering them was a mistake as they would need to ship 35 floppies!?). They gave me a few choices to add various cards and card readers to my order or just cancel the floppies and refund that part of my order...

I emailed them to ask them to cancel the disks but heard nothing back. A couple of days later I added a note to my order saying the same thing. That was on Tuesday and I've still heard nothing back, have received no partial refund and my order still just says 'payment accepted'.

I've used them before a few times and they've been great...
Old 28 May 2021, 14:48   #403
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
I also ordered CD+kickstarts from amigastore.eu two weeks ago but haven't heard anything. I mailed to ask for an update and still no word. Have you heard anything? I'm considering making a second order from somewhere but really I'm frustrated I can't just pay for an ISO download so I can at least try it in FS-UAE :-)

i think the shipments only arrived at uk retailers earlier this week. I haven't heard of anyone in the uk that has received theirs yet. Give it a bit longer.
Old 28 May 2021, 15:12   #404
wiz12

I bought mine from Sordan and according to the tracking number I'm expecting it on Monday.
Old 28 May 2021, 15:36   #405
stylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
I bought mine from Sordan and according to the tracking number I'm expecting it on Monday.
Typical - Sordan was the first place I looked (I got 3.1.4 from them) but they didn't even have it listed for sale when I checked which is why I ordered from Amigastore. My impatience has definitely backfired on me this time
Old 28 May 2021, 16:09   #406
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylon View Post
Typical - Sordan was the first place I looked (I got 3.1.4 from them) but they didn't even have it listed for sale when I checked which is why I ordered from Amigastore. My impatience has definitely backfired on me this time

I was thinking of buying from Amigastore originally too but I know from past experience they can be slow. I think Sordan only got stock in the last couple of days as there was a comment stating it was a pre-order only so I guess I got lucky.
Old 28 May 2021, 17:02   #407
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
i think the shipments only arrived at uk retailers earlier this week. I haven't heard of anyone in the uk that has received theirs yet. Give it a bit longer.
That's right, anyone ordered from us we have already sent out the first batch, you would have received an email.

Those wanting kickstart and or CF cards we will start shipping those out next week. We do have a backlog to clear :-)

Thanks!

RetroPassion
Old 28 May 2021, 17:10   #408
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaPassion View Post
That's right, anyone ordered from us we have already sent out the first batch, you would have received an email.

Those wanting kickstart and or CF cards we will start shipping those out next week. We do have a backlog to clear :-)

Thanks!

RetroPassion

i got an email saying my order was complete and now it shows as dispatched on your web site. I notice though that it says on my order "via Royal Mail: Signed For: Second Class Large"
Old 28 May 2021, 17:11   #409
duga

Customers in Sweden, Denmark and Finland are welcome to order at https://www.arosretrofit.se/product.html/amigaos-32
Old 28 May 2021, 17:20   #410
crabfists

I hope this question won't get me in trouble... but is there a way to donate some money as a way of giving a tip to the developers? I will buy this product from Hyperion but it would be nice if there was a way to give something to the developers too for their hard work.

I'd even sign up to a Patreon to fund future development if one was setup. Saying that, I've no idea if this would be allowed.
Old 28 May 2021, 17:31   #411
ugrnm

Thanks a lot for this release!

I just got into the Amiga less than a year ago first with the help with fs-uae and eventually with original hardware, and was already surprised there had been a 3.1.4 release in 2018. I purchased the 3.2 CD (great to have all the target machines in one go) and will flash the EPROM and proceed to install in the coming days on my Furia A600.

Also thanks to George Sokianos for hosting the 3.2 tour with Ignacio Gully. Even though it may not have been the direct purpose of the stream, It shed some light on quite a few things on the dev culture/workflow, the relationship between other branches of AmigaOS, technical choices, and the licensing of some parts of the project. It was also notably interesting regarding the explanation from Ignacio about whether or not devs are getting paid and why not. It was something I had been puzzled with and made me hesitate whether or not to buy 3.1.4 to be perfectly honest. In this presentation the explanation for the current economic model was clear, and motivated me to purchase 3.2.

Last edited by ugrnm; 29 May 2021 at 00:55.
Old 28 May 2021, 17:32   #412
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
i got an email saying my order was complete and now it shows as dispatched on your web site. I notice though that it says on my order "via Royal Mail: Signed For: Second Class Large"
Same here. Hopefully it should arrive tomorrow.
Old 28 May 2021, 18:44   #413
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabfists View Post
I hope this question won't get me in trouble... but is there a way to donate some money as a way of giving a tip to the developers? I will buy this product from Hyperion but it would be nice if there was a way to give something to the developers too for their hard work.

I'd even sign up to a Patreon to fund future development if one was setup. Saying that, I've no idea if this would be allowed.
It is not disallowed but we don't really want it. Please use your money to buy a newly made game, a copy of RoadShow, some hardware, a magazine subscription or something else that helps keep the Amiga community alive
Old 28 May 2021, 18:44   #414
alancfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylon View Post
Actually I'm in the same boat myself and thought about doing the exact same thing.... they did email me last weekend because I'd opted to order the floppies too (belt and braces) but they said offering them was a mistake as they would need to ship 35 floppies!?). They gave me a few choices to add various cards and card readers to my order or just cancel the floppies and refund that part of my order...

I emailed them to ask them to cancel the disks but heard nothing back. A couple of days later I added a note to my order saying the same thing. That was on Tuesday and I've still heard nothing back, have received no partial refund and my order still just says 'payment accepted'.

I've used them before a few times and they've been great...
Exactly the same with me. Got the floppy email, said no thanks, silence. :/
Old 28 May 2021, 18:45   #415
alancfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
It is not disallowed but we don't really want it. Please use your money to buy a newly made game, a copy of RoadShow, some hardware, a magazine subscription or something else that helps keep the Amiga community alive
Thanks for this, I've wondered the same thing. I bought Roadshow, now I need something else :-)
Old 28 May 2021, 18:48   #416
alancfrancis

Quote:

Thanks!

RetroPassion
Just put in another order with you, Steve. I'd have done that in the first place if I'd have seen you in the list :-)
Old 28 May 2021, 18:59   #417
alancfrancis

Quote:
Just put in another order with you, Steve. I'd have done that in the first place if I'd have seen you in the list :-)
Doh! I pressed the "buy with Apple Pay button" and authenticated and only then noticed that between the button and the system dialog, the kickstart ROMs were dropped from the order. So I now have an open order for the CD with no ROMs.
Old 28 May 2021, 20:56   #418
number6

@thread

Another 3.2 presentation on now:

here

______
Old 28 May 2021, 22:41   #419
fluffkitten

Quote:

Thanks!

RetroPassion
And since I ordered kickstarts I'll be waiting until next week. Fair enough, gives me an idea when to start getting excited.
Old 29 May 2021, 07:27   #420
klx300r

Thumbs up

got my CD, floppies & ROMS from http://retrorewind.ca today