English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 April 2021, 08:15   #1
ss4net

adf to real floppy

Hi, I have a problem with a tot of adf that I'm trying to transfer to floppy, which works perfectly from gotek, but they give problems if instead I transfer them to floppy, tryed directly from Amiga with adfblizter,the interface Fluxengine or adf-copy, I have already tried to change, calibrate and clean tons of drives and used a lot of different floppies, it always behaves exactly the same way, especially Battle squadron for example, loads fine up to the main screen but as soon as it starts to play the screen is half tattered and crashes, I also tried a tot of adf of this game but no luck, any ideas?
Old 05 April 2021, 08:19   #2
chip

Welcome to the forum !
Old 05 April 2021, 09:11   #3
solarmon

What is your Amiga setup - what model, revision, memory and Kickstart.

After you have written to floppy disk, do a readback or check to make sure the disk is OK.

I would recommend using Greaseweazle for writing ADF (and IPF, copy protected) images to floppy disk - you can do read back dump and check that it is OK.

Last edited by solarmon; 05 April 2021 at 13:37.
Old 05 April 2021, 10:31   #4
lesta_smsc

Since you have a Gotek. You can do this quite easily using "images" made on PC and any Amiga potentially.

Even on a stock unexpanded Amiga 500 with 512K RAM it is possible. You will have to split the ADF as you need to be able to write back that image and it will take entirety of the disk just as ADF.

Compression into DMS or gzip works. Just create a Workbench disk that does this with a simple script or type it manually in Workbench shell. I used to keep the file name the same to simplify the process.

Hombre from @ppill is a good starting point and had the terminal apps too (use Dupont connectors and link up Amiga to PC serial)
Old 05 April 2021, 13:05   #5
mathop

I use ADFer which has a verify option, so you can check if what the Amiga thinks it has written is actually on the disk. I currently have about a 1 in 3 failure rate writing to any of my old floppy disks, so I always use the verify option.
Old 07 April 2021, 18:24   #6
Mathesar

I also always do a readback verify and I too have a high failure rate nowadays.
Floppies are getting old it seems. Interestingly I seem to have more success using HD floppies used as DD floppies.
Old 07 April 2021, 20:05   #7
ubermick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
Interestingly I seem to have more success using HD floppies used as DD floppies.
To be expected, I suppose. DSDD floppies likely haven’t been made in what... 25 years? So even the “new old stock” ones have degraded.
Old 07 April 2021, 20:18   #8
mart1n

Have you tried to simply copy the disk using X-Copy? My A500 has a Gotek in an external case and a normal internal A500 floppy drive. Works flawlessly.
Old 07 April 2021, 20:55   #9
PDrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart1n View Post
Have you tried to simply copy the disk using X-Copy? My A500 has a Gotek in an external case and a normal internal A500 floppy drive. Works flawlessly.

That's what I too have been using. Or to be exact, I usually use the standard Amiga diskcopy command succesfully.
Old 07 April 2021, 21:33   #10
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
To be expected, I suppose. DSDD floppies likely haven’t been made in what... 25 years? So even the “new old stock” ones have degraded.
Personally not had any failures with my NOS DSDDs... really pleased lol.

I guess it all depends on storage conditions as well.
Old 07 April 2021, 22:12   #11
ubermick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Personally not had any failures with my NOS DSDDs... really pleased lol.

I guess it all depends on storage conditions as well.
Yep, and when they arrive you have no clue what you're getting. (That, and for some weird reason people are asking ludicrous money on ebay now, like everything else).

I recently bought a lot of used DSDDs - 180 for $60. After spending an evening formatting them in XCopy (which was weirdly nostalgic and therapeutic!) I was left with 46 that passed the format/verify. At this point I think I'm going to say to hell with it, and just start buying DSHD ones instead which are a fraction of the price and new.