English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 December 2020, 20:54   #1
iddqd

Amiga manual from 1994 published (pdf & html)

4 years ago I read through "A Beginner's Guide to the AMIGA Personal Computer", from 1994, by Shane Monroe. I learned a lot (and I liked the anti-IBM rants in it), but I found there to be many typos, so I fixed them, and wrote them up in a org-mode file.

I've finally gotten around to publish the result (plus my own appendix), exported both as:
- a blog post
- a pdf (see attached)

Hope it's useful to someone, as it was to me, - a relative Amiga noob, who's total amiga knowledge up until 2016 was: insert disk in A500, play game.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf amiga_manual.pdf (370.1 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by iddqd; 23 December 2020 at 10:50. Reason: Updated the attached pdf file
Old 22 December 2020, 22:38   #2
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Thanks iddqd, looking at it now. Well done.
Old 22 December 2020, 23:35   #3
honx

i'm viewing the pdf and there are red boxes on bable of contents. how can deactivate these red boxes?
Old 22 December 2020, 23:42   #4
fryguy

thanks!
Old 23 December 2020, 01:25   #5
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
4 years ago I read through "A Beginner's Guide to the AMIGA Personal Computer", from 1994, by Shane Monroe. I learned a lot (and I liked the anti-IBM rants in it), but I found there to be many typos, so I fixed them, and wrote them up in a org-mode file.

I've finally gotten around to publish the result (plus my own appendix), exported both as:

- a blog post

- a pdf (see attached)

Hope it's useful to someone, as it was to me, - a relative Amiga noob, who's total amiga knowledge up until 2016 was: insert disk in A500, play game.
Thank you for sharing this. Just had a brief read and seems quite informative.

I remember reading cover to cover the fat Workbench book that came with my A600HD. It showed me how to copy disks (actually recommended I made a copy of Workbench lol) and use the ASSIGN command.
Old 23 December 2020, 02:48   #6
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
i'm viewing the pdf and there are red boxes on bable of contents. how can deactivate these red boxes?
Those are highlighted hypertext links (to pages - red color - and web addresses - cyan color).
I created (see attached file) a version with those links intact, but not highlighted any more.
Hope it's useful/appreciated . If not I will remove it at once, just tell me, iddqd.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf amiga_manual_02.pdf (393.2 KB, 133 views)
Old 23 December 2020, 10:09   #7
iddqd

Thanks for the feedback.

@honx I agree, it looks werid, (it's the LaTeX default), I've updated the attached pdf now, to stil have colored links, but without the ugly boxes, looks way better now (html version is unchanged).

@Supamax, thanks for the hack. I looked at it, and I think I prefer the new version I uploaded in my first post, but feel free to do as you will with your attached file, I myself am after all only sharing a text written by someone else.

cheers!
Old 23 December 2020, 10:19   #8
honx

thx, without red boxes it looks better!

btw. is it intended that the last line of contents ("8.3 list of multiplayer games") is on next page?
is it the same in original document?
Old 23 December 2020, 10:48   #9
iddqd

The original document was just a raw text file (ASCII), and didn't have the appendix at all, that's by yours truly (nor did it have a table of contents). Layout of the pdf can be tweaked in the latex source, I just decided to put minimal effort on doing that.

I'll attatch the tex source file (in this post) for anyone wanting to tweak pdf layout.

(However, I consider the org-mode file (linked in the first post) the actual source, as that's what generates both the html and tex/pdf output, when exporting from Emacs).

This should generate new pdf, if any tweaks are done to the .tex source file
Code:
pdflatex amiga_manual.tex
I've removed the date from the title now, and then the whole TOC fits on the first page, I'll upload new version to my first post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip amiga_manual.zip (48.9 KB, 83 views)
Old 27 December 2020, 15:27   #10
JumpingJackson

I've never owned a real Amiga but I've been emulating it for years. Only ever run games and a few apps.

There is a lot about the machine I do not know and I shall keep an open tab on my browser with your manual. Nice job!
Old 31 December 2020, 06:04   #11
MickGyver

Thank you, looks real nice!