English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 14 March 2021, 12:44   #661
wiz12

Can the A1200.net keycaps fit on kippers keyboard or are they totally incompatible?
Old 14 March 2021, 19:31   #662
IanP

Incompatible as the thread title suggests Kipper2k's keyboard uses cherry MX compatible keycaps and the a1200.net keycaps only fit the original Mitsumi keyboards used on most Amigas.
Old 15 March 2021, 01:37   #663
lmimmfn

Which has the advantage that keys can easily be replaced except for the custom keys, i.e. Amiga Keys etc.
Old 15 March 2021, 02:17   #664
aeberbach

It's not cheap, but you can custom order a set of Amiga MX keycaps from Signature Plastics. They have a way you can specify the size of keys and the legend. The only "Amiga" key they do not do is "Help" but 1.25U Esc, F, Amiga and other keys you normally can't get can be had.
Old 15 March 2021, 03:17   #665
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
It's not cheap, but you can custom order a set of Amiga MX keycaps from Signature Plastics. They have a way you can specify the size of keys and the legend. The only "Amiga" key they do not do is "Help" but 1.25U Esc, F, Amiga and other keys you normally can't get can be had.
And that in a nutshell(apart from being a fantastic kb to type on) is why this keyboard solution is the best current solution.
Old 15 March 2021, 23:51   #666
SpocksBeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
And that in a nutshell(apart from being a fantastic kb to type on) is why this keyboard solution is the best current solution.
It's yet another mystery about the whole saga: they've solved arguably the most difficult part (keycap moulds), yet they leave money on the table by not selling the keycaps. Or the keyboard as a kit.

I have one myself, and it is a very nice keyboard (probably the nicest one I have for any system I own), but there's not a lot going on soldering wise. Definitely doable for a hobbyist. Pick-and-place of the small components at the PCB manufacture stage (PCBwaaaaaaay) would make this even easier.

The latest blog update is just more of the same...they've had years to articulate the bottlenecks yet continue to offer vague promises of more information soon. ¯\_(?)_/¯
Old 16 March 2021, 01:00   #667
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpocksBeer View Post
It's yet another mystery about the whole saga: they've solved arguably the most difficult part (keycap moulds), yet they leave money on the table by not selling the keycaps. Or the keyboard as a kit.

I have one myself, and it is a very nice keyboard (probably the nicest one I have for any system I own), but there's not a lot going on soldering wise. Definitely doable for a hobbyist. Pick-and-place of the small components at the PCB manufacture stage (PCBwaaaaaaay) would make this even easier.

The latest blog update is just more of the same...they've had years to articulate the bottlenecks yet continue to offer vague promises of more information soon. ¯\_(?)_/¯
Yes, i dont know, this should be a huge seller, i can imagine mounting the keys takes time but they may also be mounting the switched which would double the time.

Its a fantastic kb the only downside for me is the ribbon solution sucks, ive busted the mount on the keyboard and just using sellotape to keep it attached. Its the only weak point in an otherwise fantastic solution.
Old 30 May 2021, 00:11   #668
zodiac

Anyone else still waiting for their keyboard pre-order? It’ll be going on 3 year waiting now. I keep getting told by Amiga on the Lake that they will ship it out soon, but it never comes. I’m thinking about just requesting a darn refund already.
Old 30 May 2021, 00:17   #669
CyanPixie

Yup, still waiting as well. I emailed them last week with no response.

I will NEVER EVER Oder anything from Amiga on the Lake again. I still want my keyboard, but never been so disappointed in customer service before. I read they wanted to get it all out by EOFY, but who knows. All you get is silence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac View Post
Anyone else still waiting for their keyboard pre-order? It’ll be going on 3 year waiting now. I keep getting told by Amiga on the Lake that they will ship it out soon, but it never comes. I’m thinking about just requesting a darn refund already.
Old 30 May 2021, 00:29   #670
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
There are some alternative solutions now. All open source!
Old 30 May 2021, 14:51   #671
zodiac

And what’s up with this Kipper2k. Why doesn’t he utilize another more reliable Amiga store?

Amiga on the Lake is listed as a seller of OS 3.2 by Hyperion but they don’t even have it listed on their site. It seems like the owner(s) of this business have no time to run it. So why is it in business then.
Old 30 May 2021, 14:55   #672
zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb132 View Post
There are some alternative solutions now. All open source!
Thanks for the info. Could you provide a link(s)?
Old 31 May 2021, 02:04   #673
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Amiga on the Lake is listed as a seller of OS 3.2 by Hyperion but they don’t even have it listed on their site.
It's right here and has been so since it's release:
http://amigaonthelake.com/amigaos-3-2/

Quote:
And what’s up with this Kipper2k. Why doesn’t he utilize another more reliable Amiga store?
This is the unfortunate part. Kipper2K comes out with some excellent products, a very talented individual. But it all seems pointless if the sellers one uses can't keep up with demand.
In the end, it all just seems like one big tease when you can't obtain on any of these great products.
Old 31 May 2021, 16:48   #674
zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_sk View Post
It's right here and has been so since it's release:
http://amigaonthelake.com/amigaos-3-2/
That’s new, when it first was announced, I checked the site fully for like a week. Read the info about this now. It’s DELAYED! Sorry for your luck if you ordered from them. You’ll likely be waiting awhile. They don’t have time to run this store.

I’d like to purchase OS 3.2 and a new Amiga case from them, but I just can’t do it after this keyboard fiasco. Im going to purchase gear from a more reliable store overseas. It may take longer and be more expensive to ship, but at least I’ll receive what I paid for.
Old 31 May 2021, 16:55   #675
zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_sk View Post
This is the unfortunate part. Kipper2K comes out with some excellent products, a very talented individual. But it all seems pointless if the sellers one uses can't keep up with demand.
In the end, it all just seems like one big tease when you can't obtain on any of these great products.
He’s been silent as well. Why can’t he use another more reliable reseller? He also should have known that these owners don’t have time to run this store, let alone build these keyboards.

Last edited by zodiac; 31 May 2021 at 22:43.
Old 31 May 2021, 20:24   #676
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
He’s been silent as well. Why can’t he use another more reliable reseller? He also should have known that these owners don’t have time to run this store, let alone build these keyboards.

He clearly has no business sense whatsoever.
Kipper2k produced the design and layout of the PCBs, and Mike Stirling created the keyboard firmware to allow it to work as a native Amiga keyboard or via USB HID. But there's one more piece of the puzzle to make it work: you need custom made MX keycaps to fit Amiga cases. That required custom moulds to be make at a fair cost, and that was funded by AOTL - they own the new moulds and have bought big batches of the keys.

Kipper2k doesn't sell anything himself anymore - and hasn't for a few years. After he spoke with with them, AOTL took this project on, and from the looks of things, it was more work than they expected. Doesn't excuse their crap comms, but wanted to point out that Kipper is out of the loop here.

I'm afraid having a go at him with no knowledge of the situation just makes you look like an arse
Old 31 May 2021, 23:03   #677
zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Kipper2k produced the design and layout of the PCBs, and Mike Stirling created the keyboard firmware to allow it to work as a native Amiga keyboard or via USB HID. But there's one more piece of the puzzle to make it work: you need custom made MX keycaps to fit Amiga cases. That required custom moulds to be make at a fair cost, and that was funded by AOTL - they own the new moulds and have bought big batches of the keys.

Kipper2k doesn't sell anything himself anymore - and hasn't for a few years. After he spoke with with them, AOTL took this project on, and from the looks of things, it was more work than they expected. Doesn't excuse their crap comms, but wanted to point out that Kipper is out of the loop here.

I'm afraid having a go at him with no knowledge of the situation just makes you look like an arse
Read posts earlier in this thread. He was coordinating the keys when the preorders were marketed with delivery by Christmas 2018. They never should of solicited preorders, let alone let everyone believe that the keyboard would be shipped in just a couple of months. His site had all the information about the preorder and expected delivery date.

Here he says new hardware project available by Xmas 2018!
https://web.archive.org/web/20181101.../kipper2k.com/

Here is the whole project on his website where he says AOTL will sell them. Nothing about them assembling them or anything you are referring to. Those overseas, be glad that the UK supplier preorders never happened as his says.
https://web.archive.org/web/20181016.../cherrymx.html

And before you or anyone else says that this is just petty criticism, remember that they took preorders (that means I paid $200 almost 3 years ago in full) with the insinuated release date of Xmas 2018! They needed money evidently and it’s good to hear that none of the reputable (UK) sellers took a part in it.

I made the preorder because of what Kipper2k marketed on his site, not Amiga on the Lake. So yes, he is fully to blame as much as they.

They should have sold them as they were assembled and refunded the preorder when they realized they couldn’t meet the demand.

A preorder isn’t Kickstarter.

Last edited by zodiac; 31 May 2021 at 23:25.
Old 01 June 2021, 23:01   #678
kipper2k

Yah, it is all my fault, just like voting for a PM who never came through on all his promises, Some things are beyond control of others so if you want to cry then fill your boots, if you want a hug i could probably provide one of those as well. I won't get into a flaming war with you, so have a nice day!
Old 01 June 2021, 23:21   #679
zodiac

Hi Kipper2k, isn’t there anything you can do to push AOTL to fulfill the preorders already? Or at least ask them to communicate more? I know that it’s beyond your control at this point, but people bought the keyboard because of your involvement.

The lack of communication is the biggest issue. I keep wondering if AOTL will just close up shop one day and I’ll never get a keyboard or money back. Thanks!
Old 01 June 2021, 23:31   #680
kipper2k

Quote:
Hi Kipper2k, isn’t there anything you can do to push AOTL to fulfill the preorders already? Or at least ask them to communicate more? I know that it’s beyond your control at this point, but people bought the keyboard because of your involvement.

The lack of communication is the biggest issue. I keep wondering if AOTL will just close up shop one day and I’ll never get a keyboard or money back. Thanks!

Hi, I have asked them on a number of occasions to open up orders as DIY kits, the problem with that is people can break and claim against them. Jeff who is doing the work building them has a full time job and is trying to get them done ASAP. AOTL has started to post updates more regular now which should have been done more regular. There are other things as well that took a long time to come to fruition (Keycaps campaign and A1200 cases etc).

AOTL has enough parts to complete all orders and then some, I agree the wait is painful but there is nothing more i can do.

I did not realize how long all this process would take and if i have misled people it was completely unintentional.