English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 May 2002, 12:41   #1
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Question Corrupt CDTV ROM?

What's the deal with this CDTV ROM anyway. It's never worked for me and even when I try the latest version of WinUAE I still get the same damn error message:

"Kickstart checksum incorrect. You probably have a corrupted ROM image"

Is this really a problem with my CDTV ROM or a problem with WinUAE? Has anyone else managed to get it working?
Old 28 May 2002, 12:46   #2
RetroMan

What you have is the Extended CDTV Rom so it belong into the extended rom file (like the cd32 extended rom does) ! At the Kickrom you have to load in a normal Kick 1.3

But don´t bother to try that out since no CDTV CD will boot right now ..... boot your CDTV CD´s with CD³² config !
Old 28 May 2002, 13:09   #3
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Big grin Woohoo

Thanks RetroMan that's got it working... almost. Is it supposed to look this red?

Anyway as a small reward here is a webpage that talks about CDTV games that never were.

Quote:

Dungeon Master (FTL): FTL president Wayne Holder reports the developer largely completed the CDTV conversion of this seminal dungeon crawl, only to be stymied by the inability to obtain reliable info from CBM on saving games to memory cards.
Darn it!!

http://www.pwr.wroc.pl/AMIGA/AR/ar50.../feature1.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cdtv.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	2642  
Old 28 May 2002, 14:26   #4
RetroMan

Re: Woohoo

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Thanks RetroMan that's got it working... almost. Is it supposed to look this red?
Just a little bug pess fire and after the CD Player Menu appeared press ESC and voila ...... correct colors
Old 28 May 2002, 14:40   #5
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Thumbs up

You're right again.
That's got it. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newcdtv.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	2643  
Old 28 May 2002, 22:13   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Arrow

Yes, but that should be properly fixed someday.
A real CDTV instantly shows all colors at this screen. Toni?
Old 29 May 2002, 08:04   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Yes, but that should be properly fixed someday.
CDTV ROM doesn't find CDTV's CDROM controller -> show red screen to inform the user that something is very badly wrong...

I'll "fix" this if someone sends me CDTV's DMAC specs (dma controller, same chip is used in A570 too)
Old 29 May 2002, 11:21   #8
jmmijo

Id did a Google search and only came up with some acronym info and some parts lists. A few pages with info on the CDTV unit itself of course, no specs on the DMAC

Is there any way to NOP/JMP around this code or do you really need to emulate it? I'm thinking you could bypass this check altogether but hey, I'm just an old hack from way back so I'm sure you know what needs to be done
Old 29 May 2002, 11:28   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Of course it is needed. CDTV emulation without working CDROM emulation is quite useless
Old 29 May 2002, 12:57   #10
jmmijo

So really you are wanting to emulate everything on the CDTV then and that you can't write code on the PC side of things to do this as emulated Amiga side couldn't see this external driver?

I guess I was thinking that you could use the PC hardware to read an actual CDTV formatted disk in your PC CD-Reader, but I guess that would not work
Old 29 May 2002, 17:51   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I guess I was thinking that you could use the PC hardware to read an actual CDTV formatted disk in your PC CD-Reader, but I guess that would not work
Of course this work (CD32 emulation does this) but it isn't possible without CDTV's CDROM interface hardware emulation.

You need CDTV CDROM controller emulation because it is the only way to "listen" to CDTV's CDROM commands and then translate them to regular CDROM commands and return status codes/data back and have 100% compatibility.

Of course it is also possible to emulate cdtv.device (just like uaescsi.device or bsdsocket.library) but this is incompatible with hardware banging programs and it isn't very compatible.

I only know CDTV seems to use some kind of old SCSI-style interface or similar and DMAC is located at 0xe90000...

CD32 was "quite" easy to understand because it uses very simple and stupid CDROM controller interface. (CD32 is clearly build as cheaply as possible)
Old 29 May 2002, 18:25   #12
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Toni,

I think I've found something for you!

http://www.cdtv.org.uk/cdtv-technical.html

This might help.
Old 29 May 2002, 20:38   #13
jmmijo

I found this page as well but couldn't find specs on the DMAC itself but perhaps Toni could get more info from this page then I can.

@Toni, it makes more sense now that you explained it to me, there does seem to be some resemblance to the SCSI controller on the A3000 as well as some of the CDTV pages seem to indicate this, but then again who knows. However you did mention the A570 controller which appears to be identical but alas I couldn't find any info on it either
Old 30 May 2002, 13:33   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I found this page ages ago... Address space listing helped me to emulate CDTV's battery backed RAM.

I have searched with google and groups.google.com with every possible word that have something to do with CDTV without success
Old 30 May 2002, 21:38   #15
jmmijo

Toni, would having an actual CDTV unit help you out or is it just needing the specs to the CD controller?
Old 31 May 2002, 11:06   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
would having an actual CDTV unit help you out
Unfortunately it won't help much.. But of course I am interested in buying cheap CDTV and CD32 unit..
Old 31 May 2002, 11:58   #17
jmmijo

I'll keep my eyes open for the specs to the CDTV dmac and SCSI controller. Hopefully it's out there

As for cheap CDTV/CD32 units, yes, I'd like to find them too, here in the states they just want too much for them
Old 22 August 2004, 11:15   #18
Galaxy

I stumbled apon this: Nicolas Welte's Hardware Projects, which has a 2MB RAM expansion for the A570. The author seems to know abit about CDTV hardware - he may be worth contacting.

http://people.freenet.de/x1541/hardware/a570ram.html
Old 24 August 2004, 01:45   #19
mark_k

Might having a disassembly of the CDTV extended ROM help add support for the CDTV into WinUAE? I have a fair amount of experience using ReSource...

Also, the page given in Galaxy's post above mentions that the A2091 SCSI controller also uses the same DMAC chip. I think A2091 schematics are available in the service manual, so that plus disassembling the A2091 ROM could provide further info.

-- M

Last edited by mark_k; 24 August 2004 at 01:55.
Old 25 August 2004, 18:44   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k
Might having a disassembly of the CDTV extended ROM help add support for the CDTV into WinUAE? I have a fair amount of experience using ReSource...
Of course, this is partly how CD32 support was done but I don't want to do it again because it was very time consuming and boring...

Quote:
Also, the page given in Galaxy's post above mentions that the A2091 SCSI controller also uses the same DMAC chip. I think A2091 schematics are available in the service manual, so that plus disassembling the A2091 ROM could provide further info.
I already have CDTV schematics and it doesn't really help much. All magic is inside the custom chips..

DMAC programming specs would explain everything (I hope) but it seems there wasn't any public specs (except possible non-leaked CBM internal documentation?)