English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad > project.Killergorilla's WHD packs

Old 15 May 2008, 16:22   #1
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Downloads offline for now...

I have no idea why but it seems that all of the packs that I host on my website have been deleted.

Hopefully Zetr0 can shed some light on who deleted them but until I get a chance to upload them again, they will be offline for the near future.

Sorry folks!
Old 15 May 2008, 16:24   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator

somebody's been playing with the power switch again while drunk?

Old 15 May 2008, 20:14   #3
mrbob2

I cant beleive it. Your site is an amazing gold mine of amiga stuff. I think i downloaded all the whdload packs a while ago, ironically just in case the site died.

Sorry for being dumb but how can someone delete your files? I dont know much about web hosting etc. I hope you can get it up and running soon.
Old 15 May 2008, 20:40   #4
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob2 View Post
[...] how can someone delete your files?
Z did it. In self defence...
Old 15 May 2008, 21:54   #5
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

what the deuce??!!?!

shocked! shocked and appalled! and shocked again! and slightly annoyed! then more shocked!
Old 15 May 2008, 21:55   #6
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Glad I downloaded the packs already.

But I really hope that your packs return; your site is an invaluable resource!
Old 15 May 2008, 22:01   #7
Anemos
70X7

dreary,
we support the KG work!
Old 15 May 2008, 23:19   #8
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
This is a sacrilege. If anyone did that on purpose, I hope that his computers get infested with unrecoverable viruses. Or viri. Or whatever the hell you say when there's more than one.
Old 16 May 2008, 10:55   #9
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

The hosts deleted them. Zetr0 is in discussions with them (as it's his webspace).

I don't really want to say anymore just yet but I'll let you know when I know something more concrete.
Old 16 May 2008, 13:40   #10
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i'm sure pspuae server could accomodate you if needed KG.... best speak to FOL
Old 16 May 2008, 13:48   #11
frikilokooo

@Killergorilla

I'm sorry KG.

Btw check the zone for new Goal WHDLoad with save feature!!!

Thank you very much to lolafg that has shared it!,not sure if it's the Stingray install,I'm waiting for the lolafg answer.
Old 16 May 2008, 14:15   #12
Bloodwych

Oh great, here we go again!

SOUNDS LIKE (a bit early to tell for sure) someone with an axe to grind has reported the WHDload packs and asked for their immediate removal.

If this is so, WHY????? The Amiga has been dead for over 15 years as a commercial gaming product; can't us real fans just enjoy its history without stick in the muds going all high and mighty and pulling the whole scene down.

Honestly, it truly sickens me that we can't enjoy a dead platform without being hassled. Taxes were paid, money changed hands and the whole scene had its commercial hay-day in the past. But no, we have to continue to pay even today for wanting to relive our memories. Why don't we just lock everything up in a museum, paying for the privilege to once again see our beloved computers and consoles and be done with it? It seems it's the only way to make the do-gooders happy if we no longer have any backups without the original being in our possession.

People worked damn hard for free and for the love of past platforms to create the emulation scene, emulators, game packs, ripped roms etc. for retro gamers to enjoy an experience well worth preserving for our years and future generations. These are the golden years of computer and console history we're talking about here - and if everyone played it by the book, nothing would have been archived to the same extent.

What's the thanks they get? Dragged down with law and pointless legal issues that say their hard work is not to be used; yes, going by the almighty letter of the law that must never be questioned by common folk as to its vadility to certain situations.

Also companies and some dodgy people making use of others hard work to try and profit in this day and age doesn't help matters. Once a commercial interest is once again generated from retro gaming then the whole idea of a community helping one another for the love of it breaks down. Those who once ignored and probably used themselves items from retrogaming scene now try and eradicate it from the web due to the new market being forged. A market that only exists due to the free hard work of others.

Sad, really sad. I know for certain that 99% of people who actually created these games will be glad that they are preserved and still being enjoyed even today. It's that minority that are spoiling it for others, but since that minority have the letter of the law (not that I've seen any police interest or arrests/prosecutions from retro gaming) on their side they are unstoppable in their actions of pulling resources down.

Shame, real shame. I hope these people on a crusade to bring down retrogaming don't have a single game or emulator on their hard drive that isn't 100% legit. Because if they have, well, I wouldn't be very happy!

Rant over. I feel better now. Wouldn't it be funny if it wasn't anything to do with this at all? Oh well, what's said is said!
Old 16 May 2008, 15:01   #13
doraemonppc

I hope that you can re-upload it to another place.
Thanks for your work

Old 16 May 2008, 15:05   #14
mfletcher
Bawbag.

It irks me to think that the hosters didnt even notify Zetr0 of this action before deleting the site. I hope that they at least kept a back up of the site before taking it offline.
Old 16 May 2008, 15:06   #15
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

From what KG said, it seems the hosts deleted the files because they didn't appear to be linked to a website?? and they thought it was just being used for filestorage..

nice rant all the same though
Old 16 May 2008, 15:25   #16
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
From what KG said, it seems the hosts deleted the files because they didn't appear to be linked to a website?? and they thought it was just being used for filestorage..

nice rant all the same though
LOL! I knew that would happen. As I was typing I had this image of me stood in a room spouting out a speech on my high horse only to be met by silence....

...then this

followed by some brave sole telling me it wasn't anything to do with reportage...

...leaving me to sit back down, deflated, and like this

I'll copy and paste that rant for another time then. Bound to come in useful!
Old 16 May 2008, 15:31   #17
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

It's a very good rant, and one that I agree with hole-heartedly and one that I could have used from time to time in the past

Zetr0 is very good at fighting my corner so here's hoping we can have it back up in no time.

If not, I'll have to find somewhere else to store them!
Old 17 May 2008, 18:55   #18
Kristian95
A4000T owner :)

Dang, sorry to hear about this KG, keeping my fingers crossed that things'll get worked out soon
Old 19 May 2008, 10:10   #19
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
I have all the packs stashed on my HD also if one should ever need them. I also have the old DeCreator's packs still
Old 19 May 2008, 10:17   #20
Graham Humphrey

I put all the game packs (up until December 2007) on CDs so if anyone ever wants them give me a shout too if you like.