English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 December 2016, 01:31   #1
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Unfinished shoot 'em up

What are your first impressions of the attached pic? Just suppose in theory this was an unfinished game begging to be completed so it could finally see the light of day and be enjoyed by the masses, would anyone be up for the challenge? Hypothetically speaking of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img1.png
Views:	655
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	51126  
Old 02 December 2016, 02:00   #2
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Looks like an AGA title; good color palette btw - hypotetically speaking, what is the grade of completion?
Old 02 December 2016, 02:18   #3
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
What are your first impressions of the attached pic? Just suppose in theory this was an unfinished game begging to be completed so it could finally see the light of day and be enjoyed by the masses, would anyone be up for the challenge? Hypothetically speaking of course.
beautiful game. I hope it's an AGA game
Old 02 December 2016, 12:06   #4
DamienD
Banned

Wow, looks very good indeed dreamkatcha
Old 02 December 2016, 12:29   #5
spudje

Looks really cool!!! The artsy font however is a bit hard to read
Old 02 December 2016, 13:27   #6
Selur

graphics style is similar to Banshee, but too dark. It needs more contrast
Old 02 December 2016, 13:48   #7
AlgoRythmic

Undoubtedly, this is top-grade stuff. Pixel art at it's finest, really.. so many details/little touches! and personally, I love the darker palette also. It reeks of "Amiga", which is cool ofc!
Are you the artist?
Old 02 December 2016, 14:39   #8
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Looks nice. Unfortunately, I doubt that it will ever be applied to an actual, finished game. What's that!? Why am I ever so negative about these things? You say that maybe it's due to too many years of bitter disappointments over the uncountable number of vapourware that have graced us year after year since 1995 or the enormous amount of graphic work that was presented to us but that never got into an actual game? It sure is. I hope I'm proven wrong, though... I always hope that I'm proven wrong. Unfortunately, when it comes to this sort of thing, I'm right 9 out 10 times...

Giving the inherent lack of "faith" and the underlying negativity of the post, I pondered highly if I should comment at all. Decided at the last moment that I should speak my mind - after all, we do have that conceptual beauty that is "free speech" - but now that I wrote the comment, I'm starting to think that maybe I shouldn't have done it. I already feel the nearing outrage of many my fellow amigans. But heck, too bad! I've gone this far so I'm going to press "reply". If any sensibilities are offended by my apparent doubt, well... though luck. Cheers, mates!

PS: Yes, the graphics are adorable and I would love to see a game based around them. dreamkatcha, please prove my previous words wrong. please? You would make me a very glad amigan if you did. You really would...
Old 02 December 2016, 16:20   #9
Gzegzolka

Looks like a great pixel art. I like it a lot. It reminds me Light Shock software somehow, I'm sure they were working on shmup somewhere in 98-2000. If it was finished I would love to buy it and play. If there were any demo, I would love to put my hands on it and add it to my collection.
Old 02 December 2016, 20:11   #10
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
Looks like a great pixel art. I like it a lot. It reminds me Light Shock software somehow, I'm sure they were working on shmup somewhere in 98-2000. If it was finished I would love to buy it and play. If there were any demo, I would love to put my hands on it and add it to my collection.
You are very astute Sherlock. Well done. ... but I'll get to that.

Several versions of the game began development on both the Amiga and DOS platforms, though the pic shown is from the most advanced PC version.

It was never designed as an AGA title, but I'm told the 256 colour DOS assets could easily be converted to fit that mould. The game only got as far as a one level demo unfortunately, but this isn't from your average pie in the sky developer so I have high hopes for its evolution.

I should point out that I deserve absolutely none of the credit for the game. I've been working on a developer profile/retrospective article (which has practically become a book by this stage) on the Italian Light Shock studio. During my discussions with one of the co-founders, Francesco Iorio, I learnt of a number of unfinished games that he has expressed an interest in resuscitating, and the icing on the cake is that he likes the idea of a collaboration with people from the Amiga scene who have kept their development skills fresh and would like to contribute in any way they can.

The full details will be included in the article (along with a look at some other unreleased games), which I'm hoping to get online some time next week assuming my last few developer insights/anecdotes arrive.

It's kind of my Kickstarter book... minus Kickstarter or the price tag. I can't wait as it's been a long slog putting it all together (though totally worth it), and I'd like to get it posted sooner rather than later in case I get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm sure the guys will appreciate the kind words and curiosity.
Old 02 December 2016, 21:29   #11
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Top grade pixel art indeed!
LightShock software was one of the greatest last standing studios for the platform. Them coming home again out of the blue is fantastic news!
Old 02 December 2016, 21:35   #12
Selur

Well... If you count that Italian Light Shock studio provide gfx/sfx and some amiga coder will finish code it then this is a mistake i'm afraid. I guess there will not be volunteers.
Old 03 December 2016, 00:22   #13
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
Well... If you count that Italian Light Shock studio provide gfx/sfx and some amiga coder will finish code it then this is a mistake i'm afraid. I guess there will not be volunteers.
It's still very early days so I can't say exactly what the plan might be, only that Francesco has said he's been thinking about resurrecting certain games from his unfinished back catalogue and would be interested in communicating with active Amiga developers. I don't want to put words in his mouth as I'm just a layperson go-between.

Say your scenario played out, why do you think that would be a dead end?
Old 03 December 2016, 00:57   #14
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
It's still very early days so I can't say exactly what the plan might be, only that Francesco has said he's been thinking about resurrecting certain games from his unfinished back catalogue and would be interested in communicating with active Amiga developers. I don't want to put words in his mouth as I'm just a layperson go-between.
If he need a musician am here AND italian speaker
Old 03 December 2016, 01:12   #15
DamienD
Banned

Ignore Selur's comments dreamkatcha, he's quite a negative person from reading his relatively few posts
Old 03 December 2016, 02:37   #16
TroyWilkins

Looks interesting, colour me intrigued
Old 03 December 2016, 04:24   #17
Selur

"Ignore Selur's comments dreamkatcha, he's quite a negative person..."

why so such negative opinion

Ok, call me then when the game will be ready
Old 05 December 2016, 00:47   #18
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
If he need a musician am here AND italian speaker
Thanks for the offer. I've passed it on.

Francisco is going to contact some of the ex-Light Shock guys to find out if they'd be up for a collaboration. Exciting times!
Old 05 December 2016, 12:26   #19
DamienD
Banned

Indeed dreamkatcha

You should point them to EAB where they can be part of a thriving Amiga community, might help them make more contacts and inspiration
Old 05 December 2016, 15:27   #20
blade002
Zone Friend

Looks stunning, I certainly hope LightShock picks this one and other games back up again