English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 June 2021, 08:29   #121
el_pasi

Great progress, Old_Bob

I briefly tried hard-level and felt that it was a bit too easy. On later levels customers could move faster, I think.
Old 07 June 2021, 10:03   #122
str0m

Had a few goes on this on Saturday. They used to have the cocktail cab version but now have the stand up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tapper.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	72225  
Old 11 June 2021, 00:56   #123
Nightshft

Hey OldBob,
reached level 9 with expert same as with easy using quite some "lives".
For me "easy" didn't feel easier than expert. I'd really suggest lowering the spawn rate for "easy" quite some bit.
Maybe also no penalty for tossing a beer too much in easy mode (like it was in the earlier betas)?
At level 9 no matter if easy or hard level I wasn't able to progress anymore.
Serving hundreds of beers, never reaching every customer, the 101th beer surely would hit the wall
Very cool game, please finish it!
Really looking forward to the bonus-game inbetween the levels.
PS: Which language do you use?
Old 11 June 2021, 01:14   #124
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Great work, thank you for making this, I remember playing this on my mate's C64 and we were stuck for hours on it. You have done a much nicer port on the Amiga though. Do you have any plans to add keyboard control?
Old 11 June 2021, 05:00   #125
matt64

You really nailed the look and feel (and sound) of the game with this last update. It plays and feels amazingly similar to the arcade game. Really really really good.

The timing of the mugs, the sliding, the moving between rows. My muscle memory says it feels just like the Arcade game. It has come a long way since the last version.

The only thing is the bartender is still able to run down the bar to collect the mugs and tips a bit too quickly. Perhaps in the final version you could add a difficulty setting and keep the fast bar tender for the easy mode and slow him down a bit like the arcade version for the expert, (or as they used to call it "arcade") difficulty.

With him being able to run around so quickly, I was able to play through until I rolled back to the old west level ~300,000 and my thumb was ready to fall off. I've never made it past the second space level in the arcade version.

Really top notch work.

Edit: Also, is there a way to run it from a hard drive inside workbench? Running "load" inside AmigaOS 3.1.4 just flashes colors on the screen then goes back to workbench.

Last edited by matt64; 11 June 2021 at 05:08. Reason: Run from hd?
Old 11 June 2021, 22:49   #126
Old_Bob
BiO-sanitation Battalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_pasi View Post
Great progress, Old_Bob

I briefly tried hard-level and felt that it was a bit too easy. On later levels customers could move faster, I think.
They move a bit faster on the later rounds. As well as speeding up gradually the longer you take during the round. I may fiddle around with the values a touch more before it's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
For me "easy" didn't feel easier than expert. I'd really suggest lowering the spawn rate for "easy" quite some bit.

PS: Which language do you use?
In easy mode, the game adds half a second to the spawn time. To me, this feels pretty easy. I'll maybe give that value another tweak. And, the game is programmed in assembler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amifan View Post
Do you have any plans to add keyboard control?
I've never even thought anybody would want this. It's not high on my list, right now. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt64 View Post
Also, is there a way to run it from a hard drive inside workbench? Running "load" inside AmigaOS 3.1.4 just flashes colors on the screen then goes back to workbench.
Running the game from hard drive shouldn't be a problem. I'll add that in for the next release.

I guess it was always inevitable that some people would find it either to hard, or to easy. Right now, I can blow right through to round 80 in not too much time and, if anything, am inclined to toughen it up a notch more. I'll save the final decision on the settings until I've got the bar-slide-of-death when the customers reach the end of their bar added in and tested it a bit more. I should get that done over this weekend.

Thanks to you all for your help.

B
Old 14 June 2021, 20:34   #127
Old_Bob
BiO-sanitation Battalion

I've stuck a new ADF for testing in The Zone.

I've increased the handicap values for the easy and normal by quite a bit, those of you who were stuck on the earlier versions should hopefully find this a bit easier. You will now also die a violent death when one of the customers reaches the end of the bar. With that added, the gameplay stuff is finally finished.

Just some more tweaking, the bonus round adding along with a high score table thingy, plus another few odds and ends needing programmed.

You can also run it from hard disk. Just drag the disk to some hd folder somewhere and make the DOS assign: for the disk's volume label.

If I squint my eyes a bit, I can just about see the end of this project in the distance.

B
Old 14 June 2021, 20:39   #128
nikosidis

Great _Old_Bob

I will test it soon.
Old 14 June 2021, 22:17   #129
zzbylu
Saberman

v. 06A - gameplay: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 31 July 2021, 22:32   #130
chadderack

Hi. Tapper is a great game. Also always liked the "Root Beer" version, although it wasn't as fun for obvious reasons
Old 21 October 2021, 18:48   #131
S. Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bob View Post
I've stuck a new ADF for testing in The Zone.

I've increased the handicap values for the easy and normal by quite a bit, those of you who were stuck on the earlier versions should hopefully find this a bit easier. You will now also die a violent death when one of the customers reaches the end of the bar. With that added, the gameplay stuff is finally finished.

Just some more tweaking, the bonus round adding along with a high score table thingy, plus another few odds and ends needing programmed.

You can also run it from hard disk. Just drag the disk to some hd folder somewhere and make the DOS assign: for the disk's volume label.

If I squint my eyes a bit, I can just about see the end of this project in the distance.

B
Just wondered if this was any further along
Old 22 October 2021, 13:32   #132
Old_Bob
BiO-sanitation Battalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Campbell View Post
Just wondered if this was any further along
Yes, it's still being worked on. Sorry for the lack of updates. Real life has been getting in the way a bit as I started a new job a while ago. But, I'm still nibbling away at it when I get the chance.

The bonus round is fairly well along right now.

I'm hoping to put some time in over this weekend. First off, I need to remind myself how it all works...

B
Old 22 October 2021, 14:02   #133
S. Campbell

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes, it's still being worked on. Sorry for the lack of updates. Real life has been getting in the way a bit as I started a new job a while ago. But, I'm still nibbling away at it when I get the chance.

I'm hoping to put some time in over this weekend. First off, I need to remind myself how it all works...

B
Cool
Old 22 October 2021, 16:53   #134
nikosidis

Quote:

B
Love it Nice to hear you are still working on the game.
Old 20 August 2022, 01:27   #135
Nightshft

Still looking forward to this... Any news?
Old 18 September 2022, 05:36   #136
matt64

I pulled my Amiga 1200 out after a year in storage and came to check on Tapper and I was sad to see it still hasn't been released

Hopefully everything is ok Old_Bob.
Old 18 September 2022, 06:02   #137
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt64 View Post
I pulled my Amiga 1200 out after a year in storage and came to check on Tapper and I was sad to see it still hasn't been released

Hopefully everything is ok Old_Bob.
tapper it's better not to be released
this game is totally malicious which have no end and the alien level is insane and impossible to be completed by a human
Old 22 May 2023, 21:00   #138
Old_Bob
BiO-sanitation Battalion

Hey, dudes!

All is not lost in the land of Amiga Tapper.

I've been chipping away at little bits of it here and there when I've had time over the last while and I have recently just had a few days off work free to stick some useful time in to the game. There's only a couple of little bits needed now to (finally!) finish the thing off. Looking at the date of the Glasgow Scottish meetup thingy, it seems like a reasonable day, hopefully, for final release.

I'll have a new test ADF up for you shortly. Hold tight, people, we're almost there...

B
Old 22 May 2023, 22:05   #139
Nightshft

Old Bob! Now that's nice news. Glad you'r fine. Looking forward to the new release.
Old 23 May 2023, 07:53   #140
nikosidis

Great Old Bob. I been thinking about the progress of this game and if it will ever happen. Looking forward to the release