English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 21 October 2020, 22:08   #1
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Use of xm format on amiga native Paula for interactive soundtracks

I was thinking for some non conventional use of the xm format natively on the amiga for more advanced music use:
in example use the four (or three or two) paula channels to replay but have the possibility to switch on and off pattern channels according to game given variables so to have interactive soundtracks a' la monkey island 2 (like more variation of the theme going on that with turning on a channel and replacing it with another one makes it sound different); that given to a way for a program to change global sample volumes for interactions style Hostages;

i know those are not replay standard routines and that play is limited to the hardware four channels- with samples 8 bit but am considering would break some barriers and create interesting uses... is it feasible?
Old 28 October 2020, 15:36   #2
MisthaLu

Well technically it should be possible, but I doubt anyone would bother writing their own player-routine for it when you can achieve the same effect with the MOD format - just in a different way.

As a musician it is something I'd like to see more in games though; the change in tune depending on where you are in the game. Even newer modern games on current platforms should/could use this, in my opinion, which is why I'm constantly advocating the good old formats (without much luck though). So many advantages in using the old formats.
Old 28 October 2020, 17:31   #3
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I hear you, to obtain similar effect on the mod format i remember both Hostages and Chaos Engine types of interaction; the first changing sample volume and the second with custom check command at the end of the pattern; coder still need to interact with the playroutine, though; my system would also add some music line swap but essentially a from scratch replayroutine, i know, and at the moment no project is THAT complex nor funded to give the time to do so
Old 28 October 2020, 17:32   #4
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisthaLu View Post
Even newer modern games on current platforms should/could use this, in my opinion, which is why I'm constantly advocating the good old formats (without much luck though). So many advantages in using the old formats.
You might find some luck with indies, low budget indeed, tohugh...