English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 18 October 2003, 02:33   #1
PiCiJi

Final Fight whd no title music

ok, Final Fight detects extended memory in case of a real A500.

The game shows in the intro if extendend memory was detecteded. If not, there is no title music. Maybe there are differences in gameplay but I didn't realize such a fact by emulating in Winue.

The problem is that whdload can't find the extended memory.
I tried a few standard tooltypes. So is there an other possibility?

BTW, the same problem by Leander. If the game detects extended memory, a rotating mem chip is shown. Whd version doesn't show the chip.
Old 18 October 2003, 04:18   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Thumbs up Final Fight WHDLoad with music!

Well I can't believe this is true but I tested myself and you are right! I will see if I can get the source and fix it since this is one of the most brilliant tunes ever made!

Also I'll try and remove that annoying disk accessing that it's doing...

Update: OK I've disassembled the slave and found the problem - the patch has been hardcoded to only allow 512k of memory. To enable sound I had to recode almost all of it!

Now I have one version but the slave also supports a Kixx release of the game. I need somebody to upload their "final" file from the Kixx version. The file I have is 38308 bytes so if you have another version with a different length please email it to me (my handle @ hotmail.com) or put it in the zone. If you are sure you have the Kixx version and it is 38308 bytes upload it anyway in case by some miracle they have the same crunched length!

The filedate might also help - the one I have is dated 18-Apr-91 3:29:20P - if you have another you know what to do! I'll release the patch once I locate this second version.

Last edited by Codetapper; 18 October 2003 at 09:41.
Old 18 October 2003, 11:37   #3
PiCiJi

a short time ago I started a game request for Final Fight. So the game is in The Zone.

The "final" file there is 38336 byte. Hopefully it helps you.

maybe we should contact the install coders for Final Fight and Leander

Last edited by PiCiJi; 19 October 2003 at 01:52.
Old 20 October 2003, 01:30   #4
Codetapper

PiCiJi: Thanks for the upload - that is the missing version I needed.

Dark Angel has all but retired from WHDLoad patching so he probably wouldn't be able to provide much help anyway.

The fixed Final Fight install is basically complete, I just need to do a bit of testing.
Old 05 November 2003, 15:18   #5
PiCiJi

@Codetapper...any progress? or is there no way in fixing this?
Old 05 November 2003, 19:13   #6
Codetapper

Smile Final Fight v1.3 (Beta) with music!

Oh well, who better to test it than somebody else! I've played through the game about 5 times now and each time I add something else (reduced memory requirements to 768k) and so I need both versions retested.

The main part I want testing is the access fault code - the original game is full of 24 bit access faults and since the memory has been expanded I had to change the mask aswell. Hence I'm not sure if some frames are being dropped whenever a fault occurs. It looks like sometimes the graphics are missing animation frames so if somebody could check it that would be great.
Attached Files
File Type: zip finalfight13beta.zip (1.4 KB, 253 views)
Old 06 November 2003, 19:54   #7
Codetapper

Thumbs down Final Fight is buggy as hell

This game is really starting to piss me off now... (BTW the slave I sent may fault on the 3rd sublevel as you get to the subway if you are using the Kixx version - just a warning).

If I make the slave think it's only a 512k game, the game seems to run OK and works as you'd expect (but without music).

If you run it with 1Mb of chip memory and locate the game at $80000 then it seems Haggar's special move never works. I cannot get him to piledrive people - he just punches them and never seems to pick them up. Yet Guy and Cody's special spinning kick thing work fine so I have no idea what's going on...

I would also like to say that this is one of the buggiest games ever, access fault city and as a conversion it is pretty poor. Lots of moves from the arcade are missing, you cannot smash the barrels, it slows down a lot when there are too many baddies (rather than reducing the number of on-screen enemies to an acceptable level) etc. The saving grace for me is the music - absolutely brilliant. For 1991 it is probably not too bad but once you look into the code you begin to wonder how it ever ran on an A500. Amiga games in general would have been a hell of a lot better written if they had an MMU to detect illegal memory accesses.
Old 07 November 2003, 15:18   #8
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

@Codetapper. I haven't messed around with playing Final Fight ala WHD loda style, but remember playing it a fair bit in the past on my A500/600, & pretty much agree with your sentiments.

Haggar's Piledriver move didn't seem to occur that often, if ever I think it'd happen after a few stomach punches as a lead-in,& only then on the smaller characters. Definitely agree that animation frames were sacrificed for it to "look" like the arcade original. Slow down I remember being especially bad with the end of game baddie firing arrows out of his wheelchair.

You don't realise how shite it is 'til you replay the original on Mame-seems like Creative Materials followed the same pattern all over again with their Street Fighter 2 conversion-albeit FF, DID have a great intro tune as you mentioned!

Funny how the programmer managed to find enough time to fit in a special cheat sequence if the game features as many bugs as you found!
Old 07 November 2003, 19:17   #9
PiCiJi

I have tested the slave. The pile driver of Haggar worked only one times afterwards the game crashed in the subway area.
The game crashes in this area without performing the pile driver anyway.
Old 07 November 2003, 21:54   #10
Codetapper

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
@Codetapper. I haven't messed around with playing Final Fight ala WHD loda style, but remember playing it a fair bit in the past on my A500/600, & pretty much agree with your sentiments.

Haggar's Piledriver move didn't seem to occur that often, if ever I think it'd happen after a few stomach punches as a lead-in,& only then on the smaller characters. Definitely agree that animation frames were sacrificed for it to "look" like the arcade original. Slow down I remember being especially bad with the end of game baddie firing arrows out of his wheelchair.

You don't realise how shite it is 'til you replay the original on Mame-seems like Creative Materials followed the same pattern all over again with their Street Fighter 2 conversion-albeit FF, DID have a great intro tune as you mentioned!

Funny how the programmer managed to find enough time to fit in a special cheat sequence if the game features as many bugs as you found!
Apparently Creative Materials couldn't be bothered scaling the sprites down which is why they appear so huge in the game. That is also why they take so much memory and had to drop frames of animation and lots of other effects. In hindsight it would probably have been better to make them smaller and keep the speed up - and if there are screens with too many enemies, reduce them.

I had never played the arcade version before the Amiga one so originally thought it was pretty good. But when I got MAME I could see how much stuff was removed and that made me have second thoughts about how good the conversion was.

The most accurate part is surely the intro! Not too much was removed from that (scrolling on the TV and the TV flickering on and off - apart from that nothing that I can see!)

I'll probably end up releasing the game with a 1Mb slave and a 512k slave (after fixing that crash problem) because for me it's possible to do the piledriver on one but I cannot get it to work ever on the 1Mb version!

Thanks for your tests guys!
Old 01 April 2005, 03:27   #11
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I'm not digging up the past here but I was just trying to get this game working (whdload versioN) in WinUAE again and remembered an old thread about it.

So here I am! There is now a caps version of the game so maybe this will help?

I'm not that fussed I was just wondering what ever happened