English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 18 October 2022, 20:42   #1
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

For Sale: BFG9060 A4000 A3000 Accelerator Cards

We are excited to now offer the BFG9060 Accelerator card for the Amiga A4000 and A3000.

These are built and ready to ship and are configured for 68060 CPU's. These units come with no CPU just add your own.

Full details below:

https://www.retropassion.co.uk/product/bfg9060-ncpu/

Please do read the entire product page as it has some good information.

Thanks!

RetroPassion
Old 19 October 2022, 18:22   #2
Leon Besson
Banned

£399.99 Incl. VAT

Just for the Card!? Holy Shit!

£649 for a REV 6 060 CPU!?

No thanks!

Really!?

Can be had cheaper here Bromigos!

https://www.amibay.com/threads/bfg90...-4000.2438618/
Old 19 October 2022, 20:46   #3
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

You never let us down :-) But do remember UK VAT and there is a substantial donation per card is given to Matthias Heinrichs and are officially licenced by him to us.

Also your link has no stock.

Thanks!!

PS you still have your discount code to use :-)
Old 20 October 2022, 02:28   #4
Lemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
£399.99 Incl. VAT

No thanks!

Really!?

If you have the skills to assemble them yourself, then it will come in at under £100 for one without CPU. The KEL connector can be hard to find and cost a bit. But that's the case with all open source stuff, build it yourself and it can cost loads less.

You are paying for the service I guess. For £399 I'd at least expect an LC060 thrown in though.
Old 20 October 2022, 10:41   #5
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemaru View Post
If you have the skills to assemble them yourself, then it will come in at under £100 for one without CPU. The KEL connector can be hard to find and cost a bit. But that's the case with all open source stuff, build it yourself and it can cost loads less.

You are paying for the service I guess. For £399 I'd at least expect an LC060 thrown in though.
Hi!

Your 100% right, people forget the time it takes to build, test, add a warranty, pay a licence fee, TAX these all add up, but at least you know the developer is getting a good chunk to continue supporting firmware updates and develop other great products :-)

RetroPassion
Old 20 October 2022, 19:17   #6
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPassionUK View Post
but at least you know the developer is getting a good chunk to continue supporting firmware updates and develop other great products
What's the donation to Matthias per unit and is that based on the RRP or pre-tax price?
Old 20 October 2022, 19:49   #7
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
What's the donation to Matthias per unit and is that based on the RRP or pre-tax price?
HI!

Unfortunately we are unable to share what the licence fee is paid to Matthias per card (pre-tax) but is an amount that we feel is well deserved and certainly secures the BFG9060 and future developments.

Thanks!
Old 20 October 2022, 22:20   #8
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
You never let us down :-) But do remember UK VAT and there is a substantial donation per card is given to Matthias Heinrichs and are officially licenced by him to us.

Also your link has no stock.

Thanks!!

PS you still have your discount code to use :-)
Fair enough Mang! As long as they are sent in reasonable time. Although your EBay buyers aren’t happy with your dispatch timings at the moment.
It’s a shame that other Resellers out there aren’t selling this product as they would probably arrive a lot earlier Bromigo!

Oh well….
Old 20 October 2022, 22:43   #9
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Fair enough Mang! As long as they are sent in reasonable time. Although your EBay buyers aren’t happy with your dispatch timings at the moment.
It’s a shame that other Resellers out there aren’t selling this product as they would probably arrive a lot earlier Bromigo!

Oh well….

Thanks for keeping us informed and keeping a close on on our business, you may have already sold 2 units :-)

We came across this quote by Oscar Wilde which is very fitting:

“There's only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

RetroPassion

Last edited by RetroPassionUK; 20 October 2022 at 22:53.
Old 21 October 2022, 11:59   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I think everyone should stop beating up RetroPassion. He offers a service, one that several users of this forum have used and been happy.

If you don't want this product, at this price, then don't buy it from him.

You have absolutely no idea about the NRE costs of selling consumer electronics.

At this volume, products are probably made to order. There is going to be a waiting period. If there wasn't then the cost would be even higher.
Old 21 October 2022, 14:06   #11
Leon Besson
Banned

Bromigo! Just putting it out there. There are alternatives. If you were to buy a car. Would just go to one dealership and pay that price? Or would you shop around for a deal?
The 2 weeks I’ve seen on goods being shipped from this reseller are for things like goteks. Again the emphasis is on good customer care. Not blaming your customer. Certainly not telling your customer to come here for help on a new item just bought, as that smacks of they don’t know what they are doing. Just saying Mang!

Last edited by Leon Besson; 21 October 2022 at 14:21.
Old 21 October 2022, 15:35   #12
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
£399.99 Incl. VAT

No thanks!

Really!?

Quote:

Oh well….
Quote:
Bromigo! Just putting it out there. There are alternatives. If you were to buy a car. Would just go to one dealership and pay that price? Or would you shop around for a deal?
The 2 weeks I’ve seen on goods being shipped from this reseller are for things like goteks. Again the emphasis is on good customer care. Not blaming your customer. Certainly not telling your customer to come here for help on a new item just bought, as that smacks of they don’t know what they are doing. Just saying Mang!
There is no need to flame or troll. We are all free to make our own decisions in life. - Pay your money, be happy with what & where you're doing it, then move along....
Old 21 October 2022, 15:42   #13
Leon Besson
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
There is no need to flame or troll. We are all free to make our own decisions in life. - Pay your money, be happy with what & where you're doing it, then move along....
Fine Bromigo! But this is a Forum. I’ve had my say. You’ve had yours

Besides. Your not exactly practicing what you preach yourself;

http://eab.abime.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1565389

If I thought otherwise. You were being Homophobic.

Last edited by Leon Besson; 21 October 2022 at 16:16.
Old 22 October 2022, 11:09   #14
stevelord

Quote:
Unfortunately we are unable to share what the licence fee is paid to Matthias per card (pre-tax)
I didn't ask about a licence fee. I asked about something I'll quote directly from the page:

"For every BFG9060 sold we donate a percentage of the sale to Matthias Heinrichs to support further developments and we also support our builders."

So how much is the donation? By definition, donations are voluntary, licence payments are not. Forgive my confusion, it appears you're claiming you're making a donation when you're paying a negotiated licence fee. The ASA's rules on promotion are pretty clear in that marketing donations to a registered charity or good cause must:

Quote:
include certain information in all promotional marketing, such as:

the name of the charity or good cause which will benefit (8.33.1),
its nature and objectives (unless obvious) (8.33.2),
what will be gained by the named charity or cause (8.33.3), and
the basis on which the contribution will be calculated and whether the promoter’s contribution is limited (8.33.4).

The rules also state that ads should not exaggerate the benefit to the charity or cause derived from individual purchases of the promoted product (8.33.7).
In that respect if it's a donation distinct from any licence payment it makes sense to comply with the ASA rules including making clear what amount is being donated. If it's purely a payment from a licensing agreement then it's best to stop advertising licence payments as "donations". I'm sure this is an honest mistake of just not being aware regulatory obligations, these things happen.

Last edited by stevelord; 22 October 2022 at 12:24.
Old 22 October 2022, 14:41   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

He's answered. The amount is private. The things you're quoting only apply to registered charities which I don't believe Matthias Heinrichs is. He's an individual. So non of this applies.
Old 22 October 2022, 17:17   #16
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The things you're quoting only apply to registered charities which I don't believe Matthias Heinrichs is. He's an individual. So non of this applies.
I don't think you're going to get what you're looking to achieve from going down this line of thinking.
  1. RetroPassion Ltd (Company No. 12204824) - VAT Number: GB371066606 (referred to from here as "RP") is a company registered in England and Wales with the website https://retropassion.co.uk/. On the site it markets the BFG9060 with an unspecified donation to Mattias Heinrichs.
  2. The ASA is the UK's advertising regulator. It's scope includes all forms of marketing, including corporate websites, and applies to all registered companies in England and Wales.
  3. Section 8.33 of the CAP code applies to RP and relates to promotions around both registered charities and "causes". There is a register of charities, but no such register of causes. Your argument appears to rest on whether or not a donation to Matthias Heinrichs constitutes a "cause", on the grounds of him being an indvidual.
  4. If your assertion is correct, Section 8.33.2 highlights items that still must be done if the entity is not a registered charity, which RP has also failed to comply with.
  5. If your assertion that whether or not Heinrichs individually constitutes a cause is a defining factor in any potential CAP violation is incorrect, RP is in violation of Section 8.33.
  6. I would argue your assertion is incorrect, not on the basis of whether or not Heinrich constitutes a cause, but on the basis that the ASA is an advertising regulator, not a charity regulator. The promotion falls within the scope of the ASA who has defined regulations designed to avoid misleading consumers who may make a purchase on the basis of a charitable promotion.
  7. On this thread, RP has consistently referred to the donation as a "licence fee". If the donation and licence fee are the same thing, then were the ASA to investigate they may determine that RP has misrepresented the promotion.
  8. If the donation and licence fee are separate (i.e. a licence fee is paid and a donation is made separately) then it is important to avoid misleading consumers that charitable promotions are correctly marketed.
I'm quite happy to contact the ASA for clarification on whether Heinrichs constitutes a cause, and whether that's material. I'd prefer to hear from RP about doing things properly than pointing the regulator at site archives.

I get an impression you think I'm singling RP out or somehow dislike them. I'm not, and I don't (that's Leon, not me). I'd seek clarity from any other Amiga supplier that advertises a charitable donation that may have turned out to be a licence fee. As I said in my previous post, people make honest mistakes. I don't blame RP for being unaware of the regulations regarding donation-linked promotions and I'm confident they want to do the right thing. Lets hear what RP has to say before jumping to conclusions.

Last edited by stevelord; 22 October 2022 at 18:40.
Old 22 October 2022, 20:32   #17
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post

I get an impression you think I'm singling RP out or somehow dislike them. I'm not, and I don't (that's Leon, not me).
Just to put the record straight here Bromigo!

All I am pointing out, is that RP as a reseller isn’t the be all and end all of where you can buy Amiga products. It isn’t that I don’t like RPUK either. But just calling out the fact we should have a choice on where you buy your Amiga stuff from.
As it is, On investigating this reseller (on EBay). Not Trolling, but for research.
I am seeing a tendency of customer blaming by this reseller. Yes there are 2 sides to every story. But this reseller seems to be very political on dodging questions on this
What I also don’t agree with. Is how he sees this forum as his free I.T support for his customers. Happy to help anyone where I can. Where I can. You don’t see other resellers pulling that crap.
For someone who claims to have been in the Amiga scene for 20 years. I don’t see it some how
And yes I will call out any other reseller who does the same

Plus we should have impartiality and NOT RPUK is the greatest! RPUK does no wrong. Really!? Everyone makes mistakes and no one is perfect!

Just saying Mang! Feel free to buy from whoever you like. Your choice!
Old 22 October 2022, 21:31   #18
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

This has to be the most entertaining thread about us, ever....

Do people really spend time watching what we do in the shadows and look at the difference between donation and licence fee, looking up company house details and seeing what we have or have not complied with?

What did we do today? Pack up the car with Amiga goodies and arrange 3 drop offs and 1 pick up which looks like a 300 mile round trip tomorrow which is exciting as meeting some of our customers face to face is always good.

Seriously I think I may setup a Patreon so you can view live CCTV and get exclusive access and behind the scenes gossip.

Are these people here for the Amiga scene or just there like Statler and Waldorf from the muppet show because we love them too!

All your doing is bumping up this topic to the top and driving traffic to our website, EAB is one of the top 10 over the last few days so thank you.
Old 23 October 2022, 01:36   #19
stevelord

Quote:
Do people really spend time watching what we do in the shadows and look at the difference between donation and licence fee
I'm happy to say you didn't start the fire, but i'll be damned if i'm happy for you to spread it. If I get a bag for a clothes collection for charity and it turns out to be a contractual obligation its the same thing in my view.
Quote:
looking up company house details and seeing what we have or have not complied with?
No, your website footer has the details but I'm setting out legal facts, as I assume you'd know.
Quote:
All your doing is bumping up this topic to the top and driving traffic to our website, EAB is one of the top 10 over the last few days so thank you.
Thanks for declaring your material financial benefit from the charity linked donation marketing exercise discussed earlier. On that basis I'll ask the ASA whether Mr Heinrichs constitutes a cause, or if that is material regarding compliance with CAP 8.33. If you want to clarify the promotion details by close of play Monday I won't need to involve the ASA (which is my preferred option). If you'd prefer not to, then the only route I have for finding out may end up with a complaint filed with the ASA.

Last edited by stevelord; 23 October 2022 at 18:58.
Old 23 October 2022, 10:08   #20
Thomas Richter

This is one of the discussions where I shake my head sadly. "Only Amiga makes it possible".

Apparently, Matze gave his permission for a vendor to sell his cards pre-assembled. So he is ok with the arrangement. If people are not happy with this arrangement, go buy elsewhere, or assemble the card yourself, all good.

I frankly do not see a problem here. The designer of the hardware is happy, the vendor supplying the hardware to customers is happy, and the community should be happy that there is a service for assembling the cards they may take advantage of - or not use, as they wish.

If you are not ok with the price, well, go buy elsewhere, not a problem either. That's what it costs to setup a mini-production series based on obsolete hardware with components that are hard to get (and often faked).

So what exactly is the problem here? Why be such a bully?